Professor Kenny Lawson
Adjunct Associate Professor,
Translational Health Research Institute
PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE TITLE IS INCORRECT DUE TO TECHNICAL PROBLEMS AND IS BEING UPDATED
Associate Professor, Dr Kenny Lawson
Kenny is Principal Health Economist joining the Centre for Health Research in March 2016. http://www.uws.edu.au/centreforhealthresearch/people/researchers His central focus is trying to support decision makers to improve population health and well-being by making better use of resources. He conducts economic evaluation of health and non-health sector policies to identify best value interventions, and works with decision makers to translate evidence into practice. Particular interests are helping to operationalize the social determinants to reduce inequalities, and working with Indigenous controlled organizations. Prior to academia he worked for 10 years internationally as an applied economist within public and private sectors.
This information has been contributed by Professor Lawson.
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Translational Health Research Institute
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Lawson, K., Mason, H., McIntosh, E. and Donaldson, C. (2014), 'Priority setting in public health', Encyclopedia of Health Economics, Elsevier 9780123756787.
- Harriss, L., Thompson, F., Lawson, K., Loughlin, M. and McDermott, R. (2019), 'Preventable hospitalisations in regional Queensland : potential for primary health?', Australian Health Review, vol 43, no 4 , pp 371 - 381.
- Armour, M., Lawson, K., Wood, A., Smith, C. and Abbott, J. (2019), 'The cost of illness and economic burden of endometriosis and chronic pelvic pain in Australia : a national online survey', PL o S One, vol 14, no 10 .
- Stout, B., Dadich, A., Evans, S., Plath, D. and Lawson, K. (2019), '[In Press] Researching social work practice ethically and developing ethical researchers', Ethics and Social Welfare, .
- Armour, M., Smith, C., Schabrun, S., Steiner, G., Zhu, X., Lawson, K. and Song, J. (2018), 'Manual acupuncture plus usual care versus usual care alone in the treatment of endometriosis-related chronic pelvic pain : study protocol for a randomised controlled feasibility study', Pilot and Feasibility Studies, vol 4, no 10 .
- Stulz, V., Campbell, D., Yin, B., Al Omari, W., Burr, R., Reilly, H. and Lawson, K. (2018), 'Using a peanut ball during labour versus not using a peanut ball during labour for women using an epidural : study protocol for a randomised controlled pilot study', Pilot and Feasibility Studies, vol 4 .
- Harris, P., Riley, E., Dawson, A., Friel, S. and Lawson, K. (2018), '[In Press] "Stop talking around projects and talk about solutions" : positioning health within infrastructure policy to achieve the sustainable development goals', Health Policy, .
- McDonald, M. and Lawson, K. (2017), 'Doing it hard in the bush : aligning what gets measured with what matters', Australian Journal of Rural Health, vol 25, no 4 , pp 246 - 251.
- Lee, J., Lawson, K., Wan, Y., Majeed, A., Morris, S., Soljak, M. and Millett, C. (2017), 'Are cardiovascular disease risk assessment and management programmes cost effective? : a systematic review of the evidence', Preventive Medicine, vol 99 , pp 49 - 57.
- Ding, D., Kolbe-Alexander, T., Nguyen, B., Katzmarzyk, P., Pratt, M. and Lawson, K. (2017), 'The economic burden of physical inactivity : a systematic review and critical appraisal', British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol 51, no 19 , pp 1392 - 1409.
- Egan, M., Kearns, A., Katikireddi, S., Curl, A., Lawson, K. and Tannahill, C. (2016), 'Proportionate universalism in practice? : a quasi-experimental study (GoWell) of a UK neighbourhood renewal programme's impact on health inequalities', Social Science and Medicine, vol 152 , pp 41 - 49.
- Lawson, K., Lewsey, J., Ford, I., Fox, K., Ritchie, L., Tunstall-Pedoe, H., Watt, G., Woodward, M., Kent, S., Neilson, M. and Briggs, A. (2016), 'Cardiovascular disease policy model : part 2 - preparing for economic evaluation and to assess health inequalities', OpenHeart, vol 3 .
- Mercer, S., Fitzpatrick, B., Guthrie, B., Fenwick, E., Grieve, E., Lawson, K., Boyer, N., McConnachie, A., Lloyd, S., O'Brien, R., Watt, G. and Wyke, S. (2016), 'The CARE Plus study : a whole-system intervention to improve quality of life of primary care patients with multimorbidity in areas of high socioeconomic deprivation : exploratory cluster randomised controlled trial and cost-utility analysis', BMC Medicine, vol 14 .
- Tsey, K., Lawson, K., Kinchin, I., Bainbridge, R., McCalman, J., Watkin Lui, F., Cadet-James, Y. and Rossetto, A. (2016), 'Evaluating research impact : the development of a 'Research for Impact' tool', Frontiers in Public Health, vol 4 .
- Ding, D., Lawson, K., Kolbe-Alexander, T., Finkelstein, E., Katzmarzyk, P., Mechelen, W. and Pratt, M. (2016), 'The economic burden of physical inactivity: a global analysis of major non-communicable diseases', The Lancet, vol 388, no 10051 , pp 1311 - 1324.
- Burton, N., Ademi, Z., Best, S., Fiatarone Singh, M., Jenkins, J., Lawson, K., Leicht, A., Mavros, Y., Noble, Y., Norman, P., Norman, R., Parmenter, B., Pinchbeck, J., Reid, C., Rowbotham, S., Yip, L. and Golledge, J. (2016), 'Efficacy of brief behavioral counselling by allied health professionals to promote physical activity in people with peripheral arterial disease (BIPP) : study protocol for a multi-center randomized controlled trial', BMC Public Health, vol 16, no 1 .
- Wang, H., Wang, J., Lawson, K., Wong, S., Wong, M., Li, F., Wang, P., Zhou, Z., Zhu, C., Yeong, Y., Griffiths, S. and Mercer, S. (2015), 'Relationships of multimorbidity and income with hospital admissions in 3 health care systems', Annals of Family Medicine, vol 13, no 2 , pp 164 - 167.
- Bainbridge, R., Tsey, K., McCalman, J., Kinchin, I., Saunders, V., Watkin Lui, F., Cadet-James, Y., Miller, A. and Lawson, K. (2015), 'No one's discussing the elephant in the room : contemplating questions of research impact and benefit in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian health research', BMC Public Health, vol 15 .
- Lewsey, J., Lawson, K., Ford, I., Fox, K., Ritchie, L., Tunstall-Pedoe, H., Watt, G., Woodward, M., Kent, S., Neilson, M. and Briggs, A. (2015), 'A cardiovascular disease policy model that predicts life expectancy taking into account socioeconomic deprivation', Heart, vol 101, no 3 , pp 201 - 208.
- Torrance, N., Lawson, K., Afolabi, E., Bennett, M., Serpell, M., Dunn, K. and Smith, B. (2014), 'Estimating the burden of disease in chronic pain with and without neuropathic characteristics : does the choice between EQ-5D and SF-6D matter?', Pain, vol 155, no 10 , pp 1996 - 2004.
- Baker, J., Mitchell, R., Lawson, K. and Pell, J. (2013), 'Ethnic differences in the cost-effectiveness of targeted and mass screening for high cardiovascular risk in the UK : cross-sectional study', Heart, vol 99, no 23 , pp 1766 - 1771.
- Lawson, K., Kearns, A., Petticrew, M. and Fenwick, E. (2013), 'Investing in health : is social housing value for money? : a cost-utility analysis', Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol 67, no 10 , pp 829 - 834.
- Lawson, K., Mercer, S., Wyke, S., Grieve, E., Guthrie, B., Watt, G. and Fenwick, E. (2013), 'Double trouble : the impact of multimorbidity and deprivation on preference-weighted health related quality of life : a cross sectional analysis of the Scottish Health Survey', International Journal for Equity in Health, vol 12, no 1 .
- Craig, P., Cooper, C., Gunnell, D., Haw, S., Lawson, K., Macintyre, S., Ogilvie, D., Petticrew, M., Reeves, B., Sutton, M. and Thompson, S. (2012), 'Using natural experiments to evaluate population health interventions : new Medical Research Council guidance', Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol 66, no 12 , pp 1182 - 1186.
- Lawson, K., Fenwick, E., Pell, A. and Pell, J. (2010), 'Comparison of mass and targeted screening strategies for cardiovascular risk : simulation of the effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and coverage from a cross sectional survey of 3291 people', Heart, vol 96, no 3 , pp 208 - 212.
- Lorgelly, P., Lawson, K., Fenwick, E. and Briggs, A. (2010), 'Outcome measurement in economic evaluations of public health interventions : a role for the capability approach?', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol 7, no 5 , pp 2274 - 2289.
- Jacobs-van der Bruggen, M., Baal, P., Hoogenveen, R., Feenstra, T., Briggs, A., Lawson, K., Feskens, E. and Baan, C. (2009), 'Cost-effectiveness of lifestyle modification in diabetic patients', Diabetes Care, vol 32, no 8 , pp 1453 - 1458.
- 2018, '100 Lives in Western Sydney: Presentation of Findings', Report
- 2017, 'Understanding Patient Centred Medical Home (PCMH) Transitions in Western Sydney', Report
- 2015, 'Using Natural Experiments to Evaluate Population Health Interventions: Guidance for Producers and Users of Evidence', Report
- 2015, 'Impacts of Meth/amphetamine, Other Drugs and Alcohol in Rural and Remote Areas in Northern and North-east Queensland: An Environmental Scan', Report
- 2013, 'Report on a Workshop on Methods for the Economic Evaluation of Population Health Interventions: Conceptual and Practical Challenges, University of Glasgow: 3rd & 4th May 2012', Report
- 2013, 'Report on Advancing Population and Public Health Economics Workshop, January 15-16, 2013, Toronto, Ontario, Canada', Report
- 2010, 'Economic Evaluation of the Keep Well Programme within Glasgow North and East', Report
|Title:||The autonomic nervous system and obesity in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: evaluating the feasibility and mechanistics of neuromodulation using a novel auricular electro-acupuncture device|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee, Caroline Smith, Genevieve Steiner and Kenny Lawson|
|Years:||2018-08-20 - 2020-12-31|
|Title:||Development of a clinically relevant design to explore the efficacy of a modified Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan formulation (Gynoclear) for the treatment of endometriosis|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour, Carolyn Ee, Caroline Smith, Dr Susan Arentz Arentz, Jane Ussher and Kenny Lawson|
|Years:||2018-10-01 - 2020-03-31|
|Title:||Reducing the Impact of Diabetes and its Complications in the Greater Western Sydney Samoan community|
|Western Researchers:||Freya Macmillan, Jennifer Reath, Penny Abbott, Evelyn Smith, Kingsley Agho, Kenny Lawson, Jioji Ravulo and David Simmons|
|Years:||2016-07-26 - 2018-12-31|
|Title:||100 Lives in Western Sydney|
|Western Researchers:||Ann Dadich, Susan Evans, Kenny Lawson and Brian Stout|
|Years:||2016-06-15 - 2018-02-15|
|Title:||Translating 'proportionate universal healthcare' into meaningful service system design to achieve outcomes for families with young children|
|Western Researchers:||Lynn Kemp, Virginia Schmied, Ann Dadich and Kenny Lawson|
|Years:||2017-02-01 - 2018-01-31|