Professor John Whitehall
Foundation Chair Paediatrics and Child Health,
School of Medicine
John Whitehall is Professor of Paediatrics at Western Sydney University. His 50 year career began at Sydney University, continued through developing countries and western Sydney as a general paediatrician, then focussed on neonatology before coming to WSU. For 15 years he was Director of Neonatal Intensive Care in Townsville, North Queensland, which included ante-natal diagnosis, resuscitation, management and transportation of premature, dysmorphic and sick neonates, many of whom were Indigenous. In Townsville, he was deeply involved in the establishment of the medical school at James Cook University and, for 20 years, taught modules of Tropical Paediatrics in the Masters programme in the School of Public Health. In recent years, he has also worked as a consultant physician in PNG, Sri Lanka and Madagascar. Currently, he teaches, leads research and has duties in general paediatrics.
This information has been contributed by Professor Whitehall.
- BA Murdoch University
- MBBS University of Sydney
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Medicine
|Phone:||(02) 4634 4573|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Whitehall, J. (2020), 'Banning alternatives to child gender experiments', Quadrant, vol 64, no 1-2 , pp 36 - 41.
- Nikolic, P., Mudgil, P. and Whitehall, J. (2020), '[In Press] The in vitro antibacterial effect of permethrin and formaldehyde on Staphylococcus aureus', MicrobiologyOpen, .
- Shakur, S., Whitehall, J. and Mudgil, P. (2019), 'Pediatric bloodstream infections in metropolitan Australia', World Journal of Pediatrics, vol 15, no 2 , pp 161 - 167.
- Nikolic, P., Mudgil, P. and Whitehall, J. (2019), 'Formaldehyde as an alternative to antibiotics for treatment of refractory impetigo and other infectious skin diseases', Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy, vol 17, no 9 , pp 681 - 687.
- Whitehall, J., Barnden, P., Rana, M., Wieland, L., Gillespie, D., Charlton, O., Cooper, M., Dave, V., Fitzpatrick, M., Hall, T., Hanly, S., Higham, S., Macri, A., Pickering, M., Sivapalan, G., Tripp, S., Walmsley, G., Watson, S. and Whitehall, J. (2019), 'Maternal nutrition, social correlates and obstetric outcomes in northern Mymensingh, Bangladesh', Archives of Women Health and Care, vol 2, no 4 , pp 1 - 7.
- Whitehall, J., Barnden, P., Rana, M., Wieland, L., Gillespie, D., Charlton, O., Cooper, M., Dave, V., Fitzpatrick, M., Hall, T., Hanly, S., Higham, S., Macri, A., Pickering, M., Sivapalan, G., Tripp, S., Walmsley, G., Watson, S. and Whitehall, J. (2019), 'Perinatal and child mortality, under-nutrition and cerebral palsy : a cross sectional survey in rural Bangladesh', Archives of Women Health and Care, vol 2, no 5 , pp 1 - 4.
- Sharma, K., Mudgil, P., Whitehall, J. and Gosbell, I. (2017), 'Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans osteomyelitis in a 12 year old boy : case report emphasizing the importance of tissue culture, and review of literature', Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials, vol 16, no 1 .
- Leow, T., Ung, A., Qian, S., Nguyen, J., An, Y., Mudgil, P. and Whitehall, J. (2017), 'Exploring infant feeding practices : cross-sectional surveys of South Western Sydney, Singapore, and Ho Chi Minh City', BMC Pediatrics, vol 17, no 1 .
- Brieger, D., Edwards, M., Mudgil, P. and Whitehall, J. (2017), 'Knowledge, attitudes and opinions towards measles and the MMR vaccine across two NSW cohorts', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol 41, no 6 , pp 641 - 646.
- Edwards, M., Brescianini, S., Allgood, C., Freelander, M., Dunstan, R., Patradoon-Ho, P., Chin, R., Morgan, L., Pervez, T., Legendre, M., Burgess, T., Amselem, S. and Whitehall, J. (2016), 'Syndrome diagnosis with single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) microarray', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol 52, no 1 , pp 85 - 89.
- Shimojima, K., Narai, S., Togawa, M., Doumoto, T., Sangu, N., Vanakker, O., De Paepe, A., Edwards, M., Whitehall, J., Brescianini, S., Petit, F., Andrieux, J. and Yamamoto, T. (2016), '7p22.1 microdeletions involving ACTB associated with developmental delay, short stature, and microcephaly', European Journal of Medical Genetics, vol 59, no 10 , pp 502 - 506.
- Edwards, M., Roeper, J., Allgood, C., Chin, R., Santamaria, J., Wong, F., Schwarz, G. and Whitehall, J. (2015), 'Investigation of molybdenum cofactor deficiency due to MOCS2 deficiency in a newborn baby', Meta Gene, vol 3 , pp 43 - 49.
- Whitehall, J., McCulloch, R., Edwards, M. and McDonald, J. (2015), 'Engagement of undergraduate medical students of paediatrics in special schools for children with disabilities', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol 51, no 8 , pp 798 - 801.
- Whitehall, J., Sgarlata, J., Edwards, M., Bent, G. and Allgood, C. (2015), 'A warning about tuberculosis', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol 51, no 10 , pp 1033 - 1035.
- Edwards, M., Mendoza, G., Tovmassian, D., Ling, T., Teh, J., Zhen Ong, O., Mudgil, P. and Whitehall, J. (2015), 'Kawasaki disease in Campbelltown, a suburban hospital', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol 51, no 4 , pp 466 - 467.
- Whitehall, J., Edwards, M., Phan, D. and Thambugala, A. (2014), 'Sonographically detected thickened small bowel in a case of paediatric Salmonella Typhimurium enteritis', Australasian Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol 17, no 1 , pp 54 - 55.
- Janu, E., Annabattula, B., Kumariah, S., Zajaczkowska, M., Whitehall, J., Edwards, M., Lujic, S. and Masters, I. (2014), 'Paediatric hospitalisations for lower respiratory tract infections in Mount Isa', Medical Journal of Australia, vol 200, no 10 , pp 591 - 594.
- Kuzulugil, D., Sheldrick, K., Wood, A. and Whitehall, J. (2013), 'Hallucinations in severe, repeated Sydenham's chorea in an indigenous girl in North-West Queensland', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol 49, no 1 , pp 72 - 74.
- Whitehall, J., Kuzulugil, D., Sheldrick, K. and Wood, A. (2013), 'Burden of paediatric pyoderma and scabies in North West Queensland', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol 49, no 2 , pp 141 - 143.
- Mudgil, P., Borchman, D., Yappert, M., Duran, D., Cox, G., Smith, R., Bhola, R., Dennis, G. and Whitehall, J. (2013), 'Lipid order, saturation and surface property relationships : a study of human meibum saturation', Experimental Eye Research, vol 116 , pp 79 - 85.
Research interests have included…
- Health of Indigenous children.
- Paediatric infections.
- Reviews of management of common paediatric presentations eg pneumonia, seizures, Kawasaki Disease and Henoch-Schonlein purpura.
- Development of cheap CPAP and phototherapy for developing countries.
This information has been contributed by Professor Whitehall.