Professor Brian Stout
Professor In Social Work,
Social Work and Community Welfare
Professor Brian Stout is Dean, School of Social Sciences, Provost, Liverpool Campus and Professor of Social Work.
Professor Stout has a long history of research, teaching and practice in Australia, Europe and South Africa. His most recent book is ‘Community Justice in Australia’ and has carried out research in Australia into interventions with children and young people facilitated by Juvenile Justice, FACS and other agencies. He has a long record of teaching and research in criminal justice, youth justice, probation and social work. Professor Stout has been involved in developing and delivering training and education for criminal justice professionals in the UK and South Africa and participated in a number of European criminal justice social work projects. His research has included child justice diversion in South Africa and sex offender public disclosure schemes in the UK.
Professor Stout is an experienced academic leader, recently holding the roles of Deputy Dean and Director Academic Programs for Social Work. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK.
This information has been contributed by Professor Stout.
- PhD De Montfort University
- MSocWk Queens University of Belfast (UK)
- LLB (Hons) University of Newcastle (UK)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Social Work and Community Welfare
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6139|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Stout, B. (2017), 'Community Justice in Australia: Developing Knowledge, Skills and Values for Working with Offenders in the Community', : Allen and Unwin 9781743318881.
- Stout, B. (2010), 'Equality and Diversity in Policing', : Learning Matters 1844453537.
- Stout, B., Yates, J. and Williams, B. (2008), 'Applied Criminology', : Sage 9781412947312.
Chapters in Books
- Stout, B. (2019), 'Desistance : lessons learned for managing violent and sexual offenders', Violent and Sexual Offenders: Assessment, Treatment, and Management, Routledge 9781138233096.
- Stout, B. and Clamp, K. (2015), 'Applied criminology and criminal justice', International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioural Sciences. Volume 1, Elsevier 9780080970868.
- Stout, B. and Opolot, E. (2010), 'Eritrea', Crime and Punishment Around the World, ABC-CLIO 978-0-313-35133-4.
- Stout, B. (2009), 'Residential Care in South Africa: Changing the perspective from social welfare to social development', Residential Child Care, Past, Present, Future: International Perspectives., Oxford University Press 0195309189.
- Stout, B. and Goodman, H. (2008), 'Restorative Justice: Theory, Policy and Practice', Applied Criminology, Sage 9781412947312.
- Stout, B. (2007), 'Diversity', The Dictionary of Probation and Offender Management, Willan 1843922908.
- Stout, B. (2007), 'Board for Northern Ireland', The Dictionary of Probation and Offender Management, Willan 1843922908.
- Stout, B. and Wood, C. (2004), 'Child Justice and Diversion: Will Children's Rights outlast the Transition?', Justice Gained? Crime and Crime Control in South Africa's Transition., Juta Press - UCT Press 1919713719.
- Stout, B., Dadich, A., Evans, S., Plath, D. and Lawson, K. (2020), 'Researching social work practice ethically and developing ethical researchers', Ethics and Social Welfare, vol 14, no 2 , pp 172 - 186.
- Evans, S., Dadich, A., Stout, B. and Plath, D. (2020), 'Clarifying the role of belief-motive explanations in multi-stakeholder realist evaluation', Evaluation and Program Planning, vol 80 .
- Plath, D., Dadich, A., Evans, S., Lawson, K. and Stout, B. (2020), '[In Press] Personalised budgets : what is the future for child protection?', British Journal of Social Work, .
- Mugadza, H., Akombi, B., Williams Tetteh, V., Stout, B. and Renzaho, A. (2020), '[In Press] Engaging sub-Saharan African migrant families in Australia : broadening definitions of family, community, and culture', Community, Work and Family, .
- Mugadza, H., Stout, B., Akombi, B., Williams Tetteh, V. and Renzaho, A. (2019), 'The concept of a child within sub-Saharan African migrant homes : reconciling culture and child rights', Child and Family Social Work, vol 24, no 4 , pp 519 - 528.
- Mugadza, H., Mujeyi, B., Stout, B., Wali, N. and Renzaho, A. (2019), 'Childrearing practices among sub-Saharan African migrants in Australia : a systematic review', Journal of Child and Family Studies, vol 28, no 11 , pp 2927 - 2941.
- Renzaho, A., Kamara, J., Stout, B. and Kamanga, G. (2018), 'Child rights and protection in slum settlements of Kampala, Uganda : a qualitative study', Journal of Human Rights, vol 17, no 3 , pp 303 - 321.
- Stout, B., Dadich, A., Hosseinzadeh, H. and Herbert, J. (2018), 'Living on the edge : juvenile justice work as a form of edgework', Crime, Law and Social Change, vol 69, no 3 , pp 371 - 384.
- Stout, B., Dalby, H. and Schraner, I. (2017), 'Measuring the impact of juvenile justice interventions : what works, what helps and what matters?', Youth Justice, vol 17, no 3 , pp 196 - 212.
- Cooner, T., Knowles, A. and Stout, B. (2016), 'Creating a mobile app to teach ethical social media practices', Social Work Education, vol 35, no 3 , pp 245 - 259.
- Dadich, A., Stout, B. and Hosseinzadeh, H. (2015), 'Reacting to and managing change within juvenile justice', Journal of Organizational Change Management, vol 28, no 2 , pp 315 - 328.
- Stout, B. (2014), 'Justice across borders : sentence transfer in Europe and Australia', EuroVista, vol 3, no 2 , pp 3 - 12.
- Stanculescu, A. and Stout, B. (2014), 'Responding to antisocial behaviour in New South Wales : youth conduct orders', British Journal of Community Justice, vol 12, no 2 , pp 67 - 80.
- Stout, B. (2013), 'Probation practice at the end of the troubles : reflections from a distance', Irish Probation Journal, vol 10 , pp 37 - 49.
- Stout, B., Kemshall, K. and Wood, J. (2011), 'Building stakeholder support for a sex offender public disclosure scheme : learning from the English pilots', Howard Journal of Criminal Justice, vol 50, no 4 , pp 406 - 418.
- Stout, B. and Durnescu, I. (2011), 'A European approach to probation training : an investigation into the competencies required', Probation Journal, vol 58, no 4 , pp 395 - 405.
- Stout, B. (2011), 'Professional ethics and academic integrity in police education', Policing, vol 5, no 4 , pp 300 - 309.
- Farrow, K., Kelly, G. and Stout, B. (2011), 'Thinking in practice : redefining the relationship', European Journal of Probation, vol 3, no 3 , pp 43 - 59.
- Stout, B. and Canton, R. (2010), 'Towards a European Approach to Probation Education and Training', British Journal of Community Justice, vol 8, no 2 , pp 57 - 68.
- Knight, C. and Stout, B. (2009), 'Probation and offender manager training : an argument for an integrated approach', Probation Journal, vol 56, no 3 , pp 269 - 283.
- Stout, B. (2008), 'Children's rights, restorative justice and South African youth justice law reform', Journal of Social Work Theory and Practice, vol 15 .
- Stout, B. (2007), 'Should Northern Irish Probation learn from NOMS?', Irish Probation Journal, vol 4, no 1 , pp 25 - 31.
- Stout, B. (2006), 'A New Approach to Offender Management in England and Wales', Journal of Criminology and Social Integration, vol 14, no 1 , pp 67 - 74.
- Stout, B. and Dominey, J. (2006), 'Counterblast: In Defence of Distance Learning', Howard Journal of Criminal Justice, vol 45, no 5 , pp 537 - 540.
- Stout, B. (2006), 'Is Diversion the Appropriate Emphasis for South African Child Justice?', Youth Justice, vol 6, no 2 , pp 129 - 142.
- Stout, B. (2003), 'Applying Effective Practice Principles to work with young sex offenders in South Africa', Acta Criminologica - The South African Journal of Criminology, vol 16, no 1 , pp 14 - 20.
- Stout, B. (2003), 'Restorative Justice in South Africa: Resolving Conflict', British Journal of Community Justice, vol 1, no 3 , pp 51 - 61.
- Dadich, A., Stout, B. and Hosseinzadeh, H. (2014), 'The effects associated with new public management-inspired change within juvenile justice in New South Wales', Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management. International Conference, Sydney, NSW.
- Stout, B. (2011), 'Police Ethics in a Higher Education Setting: Preparation for a Professional Career', Police National Conference, Northampton University, UK.
- Stout, B. (2011), 'Present state of the art of probation systems in Europe', Probation System in Georgia - 'Best International Practice' Conference, Batumi, Georgia.
- Stout, B. (2009), 'Towards a European Probation Training Curriculum', CEP Conference on Recruitment and Training of Probation Practitioners, Agen, France.
- Stout, B. (2008), 'Probation and offender management training : an argument for a new approach', British Society of Criminology Conference, Huddersfield.
- Stout, B. (2007), 'International Collaboration in Criminological Education through electronic learning', 7th Annual European Society of Criminology Conference, Bologna, Italy.
- Stout, B. (2007), 'Using web-based approaches to teach Trainee Probation Officers', British Society of Criminology Conference, London, London.
- Stout, B. (2007), 'Children's Rights and South African Youth Justice', IUC Symposium, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Stout, B. (2007), 'Restorative Justice and the National Offender Management Service', Midlands Branch of the British Society of Criminology, Nottingham.
- Stout, B. (2006), 'Restorative Justice in South Africa: A fair Alternative for all', the XVII World Congress of the International Association of Youth and Family Judges and Magistrates, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Stout, B. (2006), 'Restorative Justice in a Transitional Society: Reflections from South Africa', 2006 International Conference on Restorative Conferencing, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Stout, B. (2003), 'Who will be restored?', International Restorative Justice Conference, De Montfort University.
- Stout, B. (2002), 'The Fort Hare/Rhodes Probation and Correctional Practice Programme', Training of Criminal Justice Social Workers in the Eastern Cape Conference, East London.
- 2018, '100 Lives in Western Sydney: Presentation of Findings', Report
- 2016, 'Cornerstones for Client-centred Economic Evaluations: Making a Safe Home', Report
- 2015, 'Research Into Intensive Supervision Program: Report for Juvenile Justice, New South Wales', Report
- 2014, 'Detainee Behaviour Intervention Framework Research Programme: Part 1: Scoping Project', Report
- 2010, 'Child Sex Offender Review (CSOR) Public Disclosure Pilots: A Process Evaluation', Report
|Title:||Young and Well Cooperative Research Centre - YAWCRC - Transforming communities and institutions: Young people sharing experiences to promote understanding and inclusion|
|Western Researchers:||Amanda Third, Ann Dadich, Neil Hall, Louise Crabtree and Justine Humphry|
|Years:||2012-09-01 - 2016-06-30|
|Title:||The evaluation of detainee behaviour intervention framework|
|Western Researchers:||Ann Dadich and Brian Stout|
|Years:||2012-08-02 - 2014-04-01|
|Title:||Research into Intensive Supervision Programme|
|Western Researchers:||Brian Stout|
|Years:||2014-03-11 - 2015-11-30|
|Title:||100 Lives in Western Sydney|
|Western Researchers:||Ann Dadich, Susan Evans, Kenny Lawson and Brian Stout|
|Years:||2016-06-15 - 2018-02-15|
|Title:||Literature Review: The use of cultural identity and support planning in New South Wales with recommendations for applicability in NSW Juvenile Justice|
|Western Researchers:||Brian Stout, Ana Rodas and Gina Vizza|
|Years:||2018-06-29 - 2018-08-31|