Professor Anna Cody
Dean - School of Law,
Dean's Unit - School of Law
School of Law
Anna Cody is the Dean of the School of Law, Western Sydney University. Anna Cody has a PhD from UNSW, (with excellence), a Masters in Law from Harvard University and Bachelor of Arts and Law from UNSW. She was previously an Associate Professor and Director of Kingsford Legal Centre, University of New South Wales. She worked at the Centre for over 20 years which is a leader of Australian clinical legal education. Anna is the winner of the 2016 Human Rights Commission Law award and 2007 Community lawyer award from the Women Lawyers Association NSW. She has also won numerous teaching awards including a 2010 Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning from the Australian Learning and Teaching Council. From 2011 to 2013 Anna was the Chair of CLCNSW and member of the Board of Law Access. She was also the Deputy Chair of the NSW Legal Assistance Forum. She is currently the Chair of Community Legal Centres Australia and the Director of the Board of NSW Legal Aid Commission. Her areas of research are in legal education, particularly clinical legal education as well as human rights and discrimination law. She has made numerous submissions to United Nations human rights committees when they have reviewed Australia’s fulfilment of its human rights obligations.
She has also worked in human rights in Mexico, specialising in disability and migrant rights, in international development work in East Timor and Indonesia, and for 2 years with the Center for Economic and Social Rights in New York developing their program on the right to health, focussing on mining and human rights issues. Anna has previously worked with Indigenous women in Alice Springs establishing a domestic violence service, and in community legal education in El Salvador.
This information has been contributed by Professor Cody.
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit - School of Law
- School of Law
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9123|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Evans, A., Cody, A., Copeland, A., Giddings, J., Joy, P., Noone, M. and Rice, S. (2017), 'Australian Clinical Legal Education: Designing and Operating a Best Practice Clinical Program in an Australian Law School', : ANU Press 9781760461034.
Chapters in Books
- Cody, A. and Gibson, F. (2018), 'Teaching law : the legal clinic, the university and social justice', Social Justice and Legal Education, Cambridge Scholars Publishing 9781527506466.
- Cody, A. and Gibson, F. (2013), 'Dispute resolution and experiential learning', The Future of Dispute Resolution, LexisNexis Butterworths 9780409332766.
- Cody, A. and Schatz, B. (2011), 'Community law clinics : teaching students, working with disadvantaged communities', The Global Clinical Movement: Educating Lawyers for Social Justice, Oxford University Press 9780195381146.
- Noakes, S. and Cody, A. (2022), 'Building a (self) reflective muscle in diverse first year law students', Legal Education Review, vol 32, no 1 , pp 69 - 108.
- Cody, A. and Noakes, S. (2022), 'Valuing diverse students : an ethical response to building success in first-year law students and broadening the legal profession', Legal Ethics, vol 25, no 1-2 , pp 64 - 87.
- Cody, A. (2020), 'Reflection and clinical legal education : how do students learn about their ethical duty to contribute towards justice', Legal Ethics, vol 23, no 1-2 , pp 13 - 30.
- Cody, A. (2019), 'Developing students' sense of autonomy, competence and purpose through a clinical component in ethics teaching', Legal Education Review, vol 29, no 1 , pp 1 - 19.
- Cody, A. (2018), 'Interviewing real clients and the ways it deepens students' understandings of legal ethics', Legal Ethics, vol 21, no 1 , pp 46 - 69.
- Cody, A. (2018), 'Changing law students' ideas about dis/ability : can we? should we? how would we?', Journal of Law and Medicine, vol 25, no 4 , pp 1056 - 1069.
- McDonald, S., Ma, L., Green, K., Hitti, S., Cody, A., Donovan, C., Williams, J. and Ascione, F. (2018), 'Evaluation of the parent-report inventory of callous-unemotional traits in a sample of children recruited from intimate partner violence services : a multidimensional rasch analysis', Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol 74, no 3 , pp 418 - 441.
- Cody, A. (2015), 'What does legal ethics teaching gain, if anything, from including a clinical component?', International Journal of Clinical Legal Education, vol 22, no 1 .
- Cody, A. (2014), 'NGOs and human rights monitoring : the 'how, when, where, what and why' of effective engagement', Alternative Law Journal, vol 39, no 4 , pp 254 - 258.
- Cody, A. (2011), 'Clinical programs in community legal centres, the Australian approach', Education and Law Review, vol 4 , pp 1 - 17.