Ms Marion Cornish
Human Resources & Management
Marion Cornish has been an academic since 1991 and holds a Bachelor of Business Management and Human Resources (Kuring-gai CAE), a Graduate Diploma in Communication Management, Human Resource Development (UTS), Master of Management in International Business (Macquarie) and Master of Commerce (Honours)(UWS).
She came to the University following extensive public and private sector management experience including senior Human Resource and Industrial Relations Manager roles at Qantas Airways.
Between 2007 and 2010 she held the position of Associate Head of School responsible for the academic supervision of staff in the Organisation Studies and Employment Relations groups.
Strategic responsibility for the Learning and Teaching in the School of Management was part of this governance position.
She returned to the position of Academic Course Adviser for Management from January 2012 to June 2013.
Grants include School of Business International Internship programs (10 years) which extended into New Columbo Plan grants partnering with Rotary Club of Mumbai.
Research into corporate governance and the role played by company directors on not-for-profit boards was a theme in the completion of her Masters Honours thesis in 2009.
Her PhD research profile continues this research, particularly on the effects of social capital and networking on the composition of Australian not-for-profit sector boards and social sustainability issues confronting these boards and organisations.
She is a founding director of the International Social Capital Research Association in 2022.
This information has been contributed by Ms Cornish.
- MComm(Hons) Mgmt University of Western Sydney
- MMgmnt Macquarie University
- GDipCommMgmnt University of Technology, Sydney
- BBus Kuringai CAE
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (2009 - 2018)
- International Third Sector Research Association (2021 - 2022)
- Social Capital Research Association (2022 - 2027)
- Rotary International (2007 - 2022)
- Australian New Zealand Third Sector Research Group (2012 - 2014)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors Course 2010-11-08
- A committed Rotarian
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Human Resources & Management
- Head of Program
- Associate Head of School, Management
- Academic Course Adviser, Management
- Member School of Business Academic Committee
- Member School of Business Academic Committee Executive
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 200573 Business Leadership, 2013
- 200586 Cross Cultural Management, 2013
- 200587 Strategic Management, 2013
- 200587 Strategic Management, 2012
- 200573 Business Leadership, 2011
- 200573 Business Leadership, 2010
- 200573 Business Leadership, 2009
- 200573 Business Leadership, 2008
- 200573 Business Leadership, 2012
- 200586 Cross Cultural Management, 2012
- 200571 Management Dynamics, 2011
- 200587 Strategic Management, 2014
- 200587 Strategic Management, 2015
- 200587 Strategic Management, 2016
- 200587 Strategic Management, 2017
- 200572 Advanced Business Seminars, 2018
- 200573 Business Leadership, 2017
- 200833 Leading Contemporary Organisations, 2018
- 200587 Strategic Management, 2018
- 200157 Organisational Learning and Development, 2018
- 200573 Business Leadership, 2018
- 200833 Leading Contemporary Organisations, 2021
- 200587 Strategic Management, 2021
- BUSM3002 Business Leadership, 2021
- 200572 Advanced Business Seminars, 2021
- 200833 Leading Contemporary Organisations, 2020
- 200833 Leading Contemporary Organisations, 2019
- 200587 Strategic Management, 2019
- 200572 Advanced Business Seminars, 2019
- Cornish, M. (2013), 'Exploring social networks of non-executive directors in Australian third sector organisations', Third Sector Review, vol 19, no 1 , pp 51 - 73.
- Mitchell, J. and Cornish, M. (2008), 'Taking care of business : a constructivist framework for managing change in an undergraduate business degree', The International Journal of Learning, vol 15, no 2 , pp 17 - 23.
- Cornish, M., Markus, S. and Tayebjee, F. (2016), 'Experiencing India : choice, communication and individual change', Australian Collaborative Education Network. National Conference, Sydney, N.S.W..
Non-executive Director networks in Australian Third Sector Organisations: Social capital in action. This research seeks to explain the continued involvement of non-executive directors in Australian Third Sector Organisations (ATSOs). The focus is on disability organisations currently impacted by the introduction of the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
Specifically my current PhD research aims to build on previous research undertaken and explain the nature of the involvement of these non-executive directors believe they have a significant contribution to make to ATSOs.
This research will contribute to the understanding of social networks and their effects on the composition and availability of talented non-executive directors to ATSO boards (enhance understanding of the way social networks of company directors operate between ATSOs).
This information has been contributed by Ms Cornish.