Mrs Renae Coleman
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Renae is a descendent of the Boorooberongal people of the Darug Nation and a mother to three boys. She is a registered midwife, graduating from Western Sydney University’s Bachelor of Midwifery program. Renae has experience working across the full spectrum of midwifery and is a keen midwifery activist. Renae is an Associate Lecturer at Western Sydney University and the First Nations student support Liaison. Renae provides mentorship and tutoring to Aboriginal midwifery and nursing students. She has an interest in supporting students to build and strengthen the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander workforce and improving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander maternal and newborn health through culturally safety models of care. Currently, Renae is completing her Honours at Western Sydney University and is looking at the experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Bachelor of Midwifery students' experiences and ways to strengthen and facilitate positive experiences and course completion. Renae is a Board Member and Treasurer of the Rhodanthe Lipsett Indigenous Midwifery Charitable Fund who fundraise to provide scholarships to support Indigenous students to complete their midwifery degrees.
This information has been contributed by Mrs Coleman.
- Australian College of Midwives (2015 - 2021)
- CATSINaM (2014 - 2021)
- Nepean Blue Mountains Excellence in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health 2019-07-01
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Rhodanthe Lipsett Indigenous Midwifery Charatible Trust
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- 401206 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
- 401349 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Maternal and Newborn Health
Previous Teaching Areas
- 401005 Human Relationships and Life Transitions, 2019
- 401021 Being a Professional Nurse or Midwife, 2020
- 401022 Leadership in Nursing and Midwifery, 2020
- 401206 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, 2019
- 401206 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, 2020
- Coleman, R., Hartz, D. and Dahlen, H. (2021), 'The experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Bachelor of Midwifery students : an integrative literature review', Women and Birth, vol 34, no 1 , pp 69 - 76.