Mr James Berry
James has worked in Australia and Japan as a product designer, educator and producer of furniture. He is also an internationally awarded sculptor. His work is held in permanent public collections such as the National Gallery of Australia and private collections such as Kazuhiro Tamura mountain sculpture garden in Japan.
He joined Western Sydney University in 1999 as a lecturer in Industrial Design and was awarded a College of Health and Science Excellence in Teaching Citation in 2009 in the area of digital pedagogy. James has over 20 years of experience as an academic leader, most recent being the Director of Academic Programs for Industrial Design and Design & Technology in the School of Computing Engineering and Mathematics. James was also one of the founders of the product design course at KIDI Parsons, the Japanese affiliate of Parsons School of Design where he held the position of head of the product prototyping department.
In Japan James studied stone sculpture at Kanazawa Bijutsu Kougei Daigaku, one of only four prestigious public art colleges in Japan with a full scholarship from the Yokoyama Scholarship Foundation.
This information has been contributed by Mr Berry.
- BIndDes University of Canberra
- Design Institute of Australia (2016)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Industrial Design
- Industrial Design
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9745|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300773 Industrial Design Project (Commencement), 2019
- 300774 Industrial Design Project (Completion), 2019
- 301073 Design Studio 1: Patterns and Products, 2019
- 301094 Design Management 4: Strategy and Lean Start-Up, 2019
- 301095 Sustainable Design 1: Materials and Technology, 2019
- Yevenes, K., Payette, J., Alexander, S. and Berry, J. (2020), 'Partnerships in an industrial design studio : augmenting the master-apprentice model to inspire collaboration', Design Research Society. Conference, Online.
- Berry, J. (2008), 'Overcoming The Complexity Of Teaching Form And Detail Aesthetics In Product Design Education', 10th Engineering And Product Design Education Conference, Universitat Politecnica De Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2003, 'Bookcase : National Gallery of Australia'