Mr Donald Shearman
Learning Advisor, Mesh,
Spr/2h Casual Academic - Unit 300743,
Dean's Unit Computer, Data & Mathematical Sciences
- MSc University of Sydney
- BSc(Hons) University of Sydney
- Australian Mathematics Society (2015)
- Statistical Society of Australia (2018)
- Learning and Teaching Award for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning 2017-12-06
- Mathematics Education
- Data mining and Knowledge Discovery
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Learning Transformations
- Dean's Unit Computer, Data & Mathematical Sciences
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9848|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300743 Mathematics for Engineers Preliminary, 2018
- 300958 Social Web Analytics, 2017
- Intepe, G. and Shearman, D. (2020), 'Developing statistical understanding and overcoming anxiety via drop-in consultations', Statistics Education Research Journal, vol 19, no 1 , pp 149 - 166.
- Cronin, A., Intepe, G., Shearman, D. and Sneyd, A. (2019), 'Analysis using natural language processing of feedback data from two mathematics support centres', International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, vol 50, no 7 , pp 1087 - 1103.
- Rylands, L. and Shearman, D. (2015), 'Supporting engagement or engaging support?', International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education, vol 23 , pp 64 - 73.
- Intepe, G., Shearman, D. and Rylands, L. (2019), 'Workshop support for first-year mathematics and statistics', Delta Conference on the Teaching and Learning of Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics, Fremantle, W.A..
- Intepe, G. and Shearman, D. (2018), 'An analysis to investigate students' deficiency in tertiary mathematics and statistics', Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education, Adelaide, S.A..
- Nicholas, J., Rylands, L., Coady, C., Armstrong, L., Dhindsa, H., McGlynn, S., Nicholls, J., Pettigrew, J. and Shearman, D. (2015), 'A tale of two very different mathematics support centres at two very different universities', Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications. Conference, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Pettigrew, J. and Shearman, D. (2014), 'Developing interactive mathematical visualisations', Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education. Conference, Dunedin, N.Z..
- Dhindsa, H., Armstrong, L., Coady, C., Nicholls, J., Pettigrew, J. and Shearman, D. (2014), 'Tertiary students' engagement in a mathematics support program', Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Shearman, D., Rylands, L. and Coady, C. (2013), 'Improving student engagement in mathematics using simple but effective methods', Joint International Conference of the Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) and the Asia Pacific Educational Research Association (APERA), University of Sydney.
- Shearman, D. and Petocz, P. (2013), 'When "strongly disagree" doesn't mean strongly disagree', Joint International Conference of the Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) and the Asia Pacific Educational Research Association (APERA), University of Sydney, N.S.W..
- Pettigrew, J. and Shearman, D. (2013), 'Piloting an online mathematics and statistics tutoring service', ascilite Conference, Macquarie University.
- Shearman, D., Pettigrew, J., Coady, C., Armstrong, L. and Dhindsa, H. (2013), 'I don't get it : just-in-time support for confused students', Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education, Canberra, A.C.T..