Doctor Victoria Mansour
Associate Lecturer In Medical Education,
School of Medicine
I grew up in Western Sydney and completed my Bachelor of Science (Biological sciences) and Honours degrees (genetics, cell signalling, metabolism) at UWS, Campbelltown. I joined the Medical Education Unit in 2011 as a casual PBL tutor. I completed my PhD at the School of Medicine with Professor Jens Coorssen investigating strategies to enhance protein stain characteristics for sensitive protein quantification. I then continued this research among other medicine focussed projects during my Post-Doctoral Research Fellow Appointment. In 2015, I became an Associate Lecturer in Problem-Based Learning (PBL) (teaching focused role), where I was primarily involved in PBL teaching of year 1 and 2 medical students, PBL curriculum renewal and Communication Skills tutorials for year 3 medical students. Since then I has been involved in numerous Curriculum focused activities such as giving lectures in biochemistry, assisting in curriculum mapping of the medical curriculum and involvement in assessment and blueprinting. In 2018, my role changed to Associate Lecturer in Medicine, which still involves previous curriculum roles and Roadmap coordination in addition to now being the Curriculum Block Coordinator for the Gastrointestinal System. Within this new role I have found a passion for research in Medical Education, with specific focus on how to motivate students to study on a deeper level and how to introduce communication skills in pre-clinical PBL scenarios.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Mansour.
- PhD University of Western Sydney
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Medicine
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3751|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- 200824 Integrated Brand Management
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1
Previous Teaching Areas
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2015
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2016
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2017
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2018
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2019
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2015
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2016
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2017
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2018
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2019
- 400862 Foundations of Medicine 2, 2015
- 400862 Foundations of Medicine 2, 2016
- 400862 Foundations of Medicine 2, 2017
Chapters in Books
- Mansour, V. and Coorssen, J. (2018), 'Quantitative gel electrophoresis', Proteomics in Domestic Animals: from Farm to Systems Biology, Springer 9783319696812.
- Mansour, V., Noaman, N. and Coorssen, J. (2016), 'Gel-staining techniques : dyeing to know it all', Encyclopedia of Life Sciences, Wiley & Sons 9781438127057.
- Atwa, S., Gauci-Mansour, V., Thomson, R. and Hegazi, I. (2019), 'Team-based and case-based learning : a hybrid pedagogy model enhancing students' academic performance and experiences at first-year tertiary level', The Australian Educational Researcher, vol 46, no 1 , pp 93 - 112.
- Wright, E., Partridge, M., Padula, M., Mansour, V., Malladi, C. and Coorssen, J. (2014), 'Top-down proteomics : enhancing 2D gel electrophoresis from tissue processing to high-sensitivity protein detection', Proteomics, vol 14, no 7-8 , pp 872 - 889.
- Mansour, V., Padula, M. and Coorssen, J. (2013), 'Coomassie blue staining for high sensitivity gel-based proteomics', Journal of Proteomics, vol 90 , pp 96 - 106.
- Mansour, V., Wright, E. and Coorssen, J. (2011), 'Quantitative proteomics: assessing the spectrum of in-gel protein detection methods', Journal of Chemical Biology, vol 4, no 1 , pp 3 - 29.
- Mansour, V., Beckhouse, A., Lyons, V., Beh, E., Rogers, P., Dawes, I. and Higgins, V. (2009), 'Zinc starvation induces a stress response in Saccharomyces cerevisiae that is mediated by the Msn2p and Msn4p transcriptional activators', FEMS Yeast Research, vol 9, no 8 , pp 1187 - 1195.
- Gauci-Mansour, V. and Hegazi, I. (2019), 'Enhancing medical students' experience of communication skills for problem based learning', Australian and New Zealand Association for Health Professional Educators. Conference, Canberra, A.C.T..
- Gauci-Mansour, V. and Hegazi, I. (2019), 'A new formative tool to encourage a deep approach to self-directed learning for problem based learning', Australian and New Zealand Association for Health Professional Educators. Conference, Canberra, A.C.T..
- Atwa, S., Gauci-Mansour, V., Thomson, R. and Hegazi, I. (2018), 'Team-based and case-based learning, a hybrid pedagogy model enhancing students' academic performance and experiences at first-year tertiary level', Foundation and Bridging Educators New Zealand Conference, Wellington, N.Z..
- Mansour, V., Rogers, P., Higgins, V. and Dawes, I. (2007), 'The Saccharomyces cerevisiae response to zinc deficiency involves an MSN2/4 transcriptional response and G1 cell cycle arrest', International Conference on Yeast Genetics and Molecular Biology, Melbourne, Australia.