Doctor Susan Arentz
NICM Health Research Institute
Susan Arentz BHSc(Hons) PhD
Dr Arentz has over 20 years translational research experience in Traditional, Integrative and Complementary Medicine (TICM). She provides expert consultancy to leading organizations including the Fertility Coalition, Diabetes: Palliative and End-of-Life Care (Barwon Health) and the World Naturopathic Federation. Dr Arentz’s expert knowledge of clinical trials and evidence synthesis has informed clinical practice guidelines, and the implementation of clinical recommendations for clinicians and consumers. Her research interests and expertise include the conduct of clinical trials, including pragmatic study designs and comparative effectiveness research, systematic reviews with meta-analysis, and mixed-method study designs.
Dr Arentz’s research is grounded in her clinical practice as a naturopathic practitioner. She works in an integrative setting providing collaborative team-based healthcare with specialist multidisciplinary teams, including leading academic obstetricians, gynaecologists and reproductive endocrinologists.
Dr Arentz has applied her clinical expertise to formulation of herbal medicine treatments, including the intervention that was evaluated in a randomized controlled trial where it was combined with a lifestyle intervention for the management of polycystic ovary syndrome. Dr Arentz’s research has been reported by international print media organisations and by invitation at several international medical conferences.
As Editor in Chief of the Australian Journal of Herbal and Naturopathic Medicine, the journal for the Naturopaths and Herbalist Association of Australia (NHAA), Dr Arentz is committed to building research capacity and quality of TICM research in Australia. She is an experienced lecturer in western herbal medicine, nutrition and naturopathic clinical practice. Educational leadership includes curriculum design, development, accreditation and management of a Naturopathic Medicine degree program; policy development and governance of other TCIM degree programs; supervision of higher degree research candidates; and as a member of human research ethics committees.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Arentz.
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- Adjunct Fellow NICM (2017 - 2021)
- ATMS (1995 - 2016)
- NHAA (2012)
- FSA (2012)
- ARONAH (2013)
- APA scholarship 2011-01-15
- Early career researcher Grant 2017-06-01
- Natural Health Award 2015-06-18
- Integrative Healthcare
- Clinical trials including RCTs
- Clinicial Practice Guidelines
- Evidence based recommendations
- Systematic Reviews
- Traditional Complementary and Integrative Medicine
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- NICM Health Research Institute
- Ethics Committee
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101656 Researching Practice, 2016
- 400837 Health and Socio-political Issues in Aged Care, 2016
- HT808A Research Project 841, 2017
- Dunning, T., Martin, P., Arentz, S., Bennett, C., Deed, G., Hunter, J., Kennedy, M., Milnes, S., Mitchell, G., Mitchell, L. and Orford, N. (2018), 'Guidelines for Deciding Palliative and End of Life Care with People with Diabetes', : Centre for Quality and Patient Safety Research, Deakin University 9780992333334.
- Arentz, S., Smith, C., Abbott, J. and Bensoussan, A. (2021), 'Perceptions and experiences of lifestyle interventions in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), as a management strategy for symptoms of PCOS', BMC Women's Health, vol 21, no 1 .
- Armour, M., Al-Dabbas, M., Ee, C., Smith, C., Ussher, J., Arentz, S., Lawson, K. and Abbott, J. (2021), 'The effectiveness of a modified Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan formulation (Gynoclear TM) for the treatment of endometriosis : a study protocol for a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomised controlled trial', Trials, vol 22 .
- Ee, C., Levett, K., Smith, C., Armour, M., Dahlen, H., Chopra, P., Maroun, P., Rao, V., Avard, N., Grant, S., Keedle, H., Armour, S., Arentz, S., Cave, A., Sutcliffe, K. and Templeman, K. (2021), '[In Press] Complementary medicines and therapies in clinical guidelines on pregnancy care : a systematic review', Women and Birth, .
- Hunter, J., Arentz, S., Goldenberg, J., Yang, G., Beardsley, J., Mertz, D. and Leeder, S. (2020), 'Rapid review protocol : zinc for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19 and other coronavirus-related respiratory tract infections', Integrative Medicine Research, vol 9, no 3 .
- Arentz, S., Hunter, J. and Deed, G. (2020), 'Integrating traditional and complementary medicine recommendations into clinical practice guidelines for people with diabetes in need of palliative and end-of-life care : a scoping review', Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol 26, no 7 , pp 571 - 591.
- Arentz, S., Hunter, J., Yang, G., Goldenberg, J., Beardsley, J., Myers, S., Mertz, D. and Leeder, S. (2020), 'Zinc for the prevention and treatment of SARS-CoV-2 and other acute viral respiratory infections : a rapid review', Advances in Integrative Medicine, vol 7, no 4 , pp 252 - 260.
- Hunter, J., Arentz, S., Goldenberg, J., Yang, G., Beardsley, J., Lee, M. and Myers, S. (2020), 'Choose your shortcuts wisely : COVID-19 rapid reviews of traditional, complementary and integrative medicine', Integrative Medicine Research, vol 9, no 3 .
- Arentz, S., Smith, C., Abbott, J., Fahey, P., Cheema, B. and Bensoussan, A. (2017), 'Combined lifestyle and herbal medicine in overweight women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) : a randomized controlled trial', Phytotherapy Research, vol 31, no 9 , pp 1330 - 1340.
- Arentz, S., Smith, C., Abbott, J. and Bensoussan, A. (2017), 'Nutritional supplements and herbal medicines for women with polycystic ovary syndrome : a systematic review and meta-analysis', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 17 .
- Hunter, J., Arentz, S. and Deed, G. (2017), 'Protocol for a rapid evidence review of traditional and complementary medicine for people with diabetes receiving palliative or end-of-life care', Hospice and Palliative Medicine International Journal, vol 1, no 7 .
- Arentz, S., Smith, C., Abbott, J., Fahey, P., Cheema, B. and Bensoussan, A. (2017), 'Randomized controlled trial of combined lifestyle and herbal medicine in women with polycystic ovary syndrome', Human Reproduction, vol 32, no Supplement 1 , pp 31 - 32.
- Arentz, S., Smith, C., Abbott, J. and Bensoussan, A. (2014), 'A survey of the use of complementary medicine by a self-selected community group of Australian women with polycystic ovary syndrome', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 14, no 1 .
- Arentz, S., Abbott, J., Smith, C. and Bensoussan, A. (2014), 'Herbal medicine for the management of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and associated oligo/amenorrhoea and hyperandrogenism : a review of the laboratory evidence for effects with corroborative clinical findings', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 14, no 511 .
- Arentz, S. (2020), 'Strategic integration of traditional and complementary and integrative medicine into clinical practice guidelines', International Scientific Acupuncture and Meridian Symposium, Seoul, Korea.
Randomised control trials
Clinical Practice Guidelines
This information has been contributed by Doctor Arentz.
|Title:||Understanding chronic pelvic pain: Acupuncture practitioners knowledge and treatment strategies|
|Western Researchers:||Susan Arentz, Mike Armour and Caroline Smith|
|Years:||2017-09-04 - 2019-10-28|
|Title:||Research: Herbal treatment improves PCOS symptomsicines|
|Description:||Jean Hailes for Women's Health|
|Title:||Natural approach offers 'hope' to women with PCOS|
|Description:||Sydney Morning Herald|