Doctor Simi Kamini Bajaj
DAP - Information Systems,
Computing & ICT
Computing & ICT
Simi graduated with B.Sc. first class followed by Master of Statictics, was awarded a medal for her academic achievement from Panjab University, India. She completed her Master of Computing from University of Western Sydney. She won APAI scholarship to pursue her PhD in Computer Science. She completed the internship at National Australia bank where she worked in the role of Senior Analyst, nabCERT - Monitoring and Response Infrastructure and Security Services. She has developed a REcursive, MUlti-stage Classifier for Client-side email Spam filtering using machine learnign and deep learning methods.
She has been involved in teaching, managing projects and research in the areas of Software Development, Information systems and Information security at WSU since July 2000.She had been developing and teaching the courses and units in the areas of Programming, Information systems, Application development, Software Engineering, Software Testing , Test Automation and Project Supervision at undergraduate and Post graduate levels. Simi takes a student-centred approach by being actively involved in identifying and using latest innovative technologies in teaching. In 2012, she introduced IBM cloud in learning and teaching for the postgraduate unit Software Testing and Automation by setting up virtual environments for internal as well as external access to the tools for the students.
Simi has been managing projects for Software Development and Software Testing involving analysis, design, implementation and Software Testing of applications of various natures ranging from mobile app, web based systems, gaming applications. She has managed projects for University of Western Sydney, liaison with the industry partners and facilitating the projects for learning and teaching, testing solutions, research and engagement and brought them to success level. The projects leveraged methodologies such as Waterfall model and Agile development and technologies from IBM Test Management(Rational Quality Manager) and Test Automation(Rational Functional Tester) technology solutions to deliver the solution to ensure bug reporting and analysis.
She is passionate about enhancing student learning and growth and actively looks for engagement opportunities. Over the last 5 years she has developed partnerships with organisations such as IBM, Agile BI, Polaris Software Pty Ltd (Virtusa Polaris Pty Ltd), TestPro Pty Ltd, and Zone Products Pty Ltd and has identified opportunities for learning, teaching, leadership and engagement.Simi’s initiative to develop collaborations is not limited to domestic organisations, she has developed collaborations with international organisations and institutions. She is very motivated to assist students and identify new opportunities for student engagements. She developed collaborations with world recognised reputed institutions internationally to offer students opportunity for student exchange and gain academic credits at WSU upon successful completion of the study overseas.
In last 5 years, Simi has joined editorial boards of journals, obtained research grants, published in journals as well as rank A and B conferences. Since 2015, she has been supervising students undertaking course work projects and research projects as part of units for Masters Research project A and Masters Research Project B. Simi has published peer reviewed papers in international conferences, in the areas of software development, software testing, email and SMS spam, cyber fraud, malware detection, learning & education, and machine learning. Simi has established research partnerships with the industry and has successfully worked on projects with them.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Bajaj.
- PhD La Trobe University
- MComp University of Western Sydney
- GDipBusComp University of Western Sydney
- MSc Panjab University
- Association for Computing Machinery (2017)
- IEEE (2017)
- Australian Computer Society ACS (2017)
- Information Security
- Machine Learning
- Analysis and Design
- Management of Information Systems
- Software Engineering
- Software Testing
- Web technologies (e-business)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Computing & ICT
- Computing & ICT
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300585 Systems Analysis and Design, 2018
- 300770 Software Testing and Automation, 2017
- 300977 Systems Analysis and Database Management Systems, 2018
- 301047 ICT Practicum, 2018
- Thapa, A., Alsadoon, A., Prasad, P., Bajaj, S., Alsadoon, O., Rashid, T., Ali, R. and Jerew, O. (2021), '[In Press] Deep learning for breast cancer classification : enhanced tangent function', Computational Intelligence, .
- Bajaj, S. (2018), 'Hybrid test automation framework for managing test data', International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol 118, no 9 , pp 265 - 276.
- Bajaj, S. and Rai, T. (2018), 'Survey on agile implementation of the BI systems', International Journal of Engineering & Technology, vol 7, no 4.38 , pp 898 - 903.
- Jafar, N., Alsadoon, A., Prasad, P. and Bajaj, S. (2015), 'Malware detection framework for Android mobile computing devices', International Journal of Advanced Computational Engineering and Networking, vol 3, no 10 , pp 29 - 34.
- Prasain, B. and Bajaj, S. (2020), 'Analysis of algorithms in automated marking in education : a proposed hybrid algorithm', IEEE Conference on Innovative Technologies in Intelligent Systems and Industrial Applications, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Malla, S., Alsadoon, A. and Bajaj, S. (2020), 'A DFC taxonomy of speech emotion recognition based on convolutional neural network from speech signal', IEEE Conference on Innovative Technologies in Intelligent Systems and Industrial Applications, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Badotra, S., Nagpal, D., Panda, S., Tanvar, S. and Bajaj, S. (2020), 'IoT-enabled healthcare network with SDN', International Conference on Reliability, Infocom Technologies and Optimization (Trends and Future Directions), Noida, India.
- Datta, P., Panda, S. and Bajaj, S. (2020), 'Data analysis of cyber security for women in Haryana', International Conference on Reliability, Infocom Technologies and Optimization (Trends and Future Directions), Noida, India.
- Choudhary, S., Kumar, K., Pandey, B., Pankhuri, T., Bajaj, S. and El-Ebiary, Y. (2020), 'Soil moisture and environmental temperature and humidity sensor-based smart irrigation system design using Arduino and FPGA', International Conference on Recent Trends in Computer Science and Electronics, U.S..
- Gomez, A. and Bajaj, S. (2019), 'Challenges of testing complex Internet of Things (IoT) devices and systems', International Conference on Knowledge and Systems Engineering, Da Nang, Vietnam.
- Bajaj, S., Raj, S., Mantri, S. and Wadibhasme , K. (2019), 'Github in software testing', International Conference on Software Security, Sydney, Australia.
- Masood, M., Bajaj, S. and Rajab, M. (2018), 'Security and privacy issues in Internet of Things (IoT)', International Conference for Convergence in Technology, Mangalore, India.
- Bajaj, S. and Rai, T. (2018), 'Survey on agile implementation of the BI systems', International Conference on Green Computing and Engineering Technologies, Esbjerg, Denmark.
- Bajaj, S. (2017), 'A multi-layer model to detect spam email at client side', SecureComm, Guangzhou, China.
- Bae, E., Prasad, P., Alsadoon, A. and Bajaj, S. (2016), 'Framework to improve delivery methods in higher education through online learning', International Conference on Engineering Education, Kanazawa, Japan.
- Bajaj, K., Patel, H. and Patel, J. (2015), 'Evolutionary software development using test driven approach', International Conference and Workshop on Computing and Communication, Vancouver, B.C..
- Huiting, H., Prasad, P., Alsadoon, A. and Bajaj, S. (2015), 'Influences of learning styles on learner satisfaction in e-learning environment', International Conference and Workshop on Computing and Communication, Vancouver, B.C..
- Gupta, A., Prasad, P., Alsadoon, A. and Bajaj, K. (2015), 'Hybrid method for gait recognition using SVM and Baysian Network', IEEE International Workshop on Computational Intelligence and Applications, Hiroshima, Japan.
- Jafar, N., Alsadoon, A., Prasad, P. and Bajaj, S. (2015), 'Malware detection framework for Android mobile computing devices', International Society for Engineers and Researchers. International Conference, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Bajaj, S. and Pieprzyk, J. (2014), 'Can we CAN the email spam', Cybercrime and Trustworthy Computing Workshop, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Bajaj, S. and Pieprzyk, J. (2014), 'A case study of user-level spam filtering', Australasian Information Security Conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Bajaj, S. and Pieprzyk, J. (2012), 'Taxonomy and control measures of SPAM and SPIM', International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology, Bangalore, India.
- Bajaj, S., Egbufor, F. and Pieprzyk, J. (2011), 'Critical analysis of spam prevention techniques', International Workshop on Security and Communication Networks, Gjovik, Norway.
- De Silva, K., Ginige, A., Bajaj, S., Wesumperuma, A., Shirodkar, R. and Santa, M. (2009), 'A tool to support end-user development of web applications based on a use case model', The Ninth International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2009), Spain.
- Bajaj, S. and Balram, S. (2009), 'Incorporating software testing as a discipline in curriculum of computing courses', Information Systems: Modeling, Development, and Integration. Third International United Information Systems Conference, UNISCON 2009, Sydney, Australia.
- Bajaj, S. and Hansen, S. (2008), 'Social Effects of Phishing on E-Commerce', Iadis International Conference Web Based Communities 2008, Amsterdam.
- Verma, A. and Bajaj, S. (2008), 'Cyber fraud : a digital crime', Iadis International Conference Web Based Communities 2008, Algarve, Portugal.
- Bajaj, S. and Ginige, A. (2004), 'Can Current Web Development Methodologies Meet The Requirements Of Today's Web Application Development', IRMA International Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
Simi has research contribution in the areas of software development, software testing, cyber fraud and security, malware detection, learning & education, and machine learning. Since 2005, Simi has been contributing to the research by organising conferences, reviewing papers for international conferences of ranking B and journals such Journal of Information Security and International Journal of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing.
Simi has applied machine learning techniques in the area of cyber security and information security implementations. Simi has contributed to research in the area of cyber security by developing a dynamic multi-layer model for enhancing the efficiency of email spam filtering and published four conference papers on it. She has also contributed to the field of malware detection for android devices and published in International Journal of Advanced Computational Engineering and Networking in 2015.
As a researcher for software testing, Simi aims to enhance the performance and capability of software test process for manual as well as automation testing. Almost a decade ago, Software development industry has identified the dire need of incorporating software testing in the process of developing an application. Simi’s research identifies and implements the performance measures that enhance the qualities of the application such as performance, capability and response time. Currently, automation tools have very little test data management capabilities, Simi’s work identified and filled the gap of platform independent capability of the test automation tools. Her research has implemented solutions for enhancements of manual test management and test automation tools.Simi’s research involves blending the strengths of academia with industry and provides a two-way benefit to both the groups. With input from industry her research, her work identifies the gap and conducts research to develop solution and industry provides a platform to implement that outcome in real world situations and solutions.
In 2015, Simi developed interest in the area of learning & teaching, worked on few projects and published on learning styles and delivery methods in higher education.
Most of Simi’s research is focused on practicals implementations of the solutions found for problems identified and contributed to the community.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Bajaj.