Doctor Poonam Mudgil
School Of Medicine
Dr Poonam Mudgil has a PhD in Molecular Microbiology; MSc in Microbiology and Bsc in Biology. She gained postdoctoral research experience at the Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (Delhi, India), University of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia) and Western Sydney University. She worked as Research Fellow in the Australian Research Council (ARC)-Linkage scheme collaborating with industry internationally. She had Lecturer positions at the University of Delhi (India) and Western Sydney University. Currently, she teaches medicine students in the MD program and supervises higher degree research students at the School of Medicine.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Mudgil.
- PhD Haryana Agricultural University
- Tear Film & Ocular Surface Society (2017 - 2025)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, USA (2007 - 2020)
- Australian Society for Microbiology (2006 - 2021)
- UWS Research Seed Grant Award 2004-01-20
- UWS International Research Initiative Scheme Grant 2006-11-24
- Asia-ARVO Travel Award 2008-10-25
- Research Fellow Award, Australian Research Council-Linkage 2007-06-06
- Postdoctoral Researcher Award 2003-04-07
- ARVO Fellow Award 2019-11-12
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School Of Medicine
- Diversity Initiative Committee, ARVO, USA
- STEM Professionals in Schools, CSIRO, Australia
- Global Members Committee, ARVO, USA
- Women in Eye and Vision Research (WEAVR), USA
- Member Communications Working Group, ARVO Strategic Plan (Science Pillar), USA
- Commercial Relationships Committee, ARVO, USA
- Ethics and Regulations in Human Research Committee, ARVO, USA
- Mentor, Developing Country Eye Researcher Travel Fellows Program, ARVO Foundation for Eye Research, USA
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3945|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- 401276 Clinical Sciences 1
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300321 Microbiology 2, 2006
- 300412 Science, Technology and Environment Honours Project, 2006
- 300412 Science, Technology and Environment Honours Project, 2007
- 300412 Science, Technology and Environment Honours Project, 2008
- 300412 Science, Technology and Environment Honours Project, 2013
- 300542 Biomolecular Science Project, 2012
- 300542 Biomolecular Science Project, 2013
- 300892 Medical Science Project, 2015
- 300924 Science Research Project, 2017
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2018
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2019
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2012
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2013
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2014
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2015
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2016
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2017
- 400813 Medical Research Project, 2014
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2016
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2017
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2018
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2019
- 400862 Foundations of Medicine 2, 2016
- 400862 Foundations of Medicine 2, 2017
- 400862 Foundations of Medicine 2, 2018
- 400959 Honours Research Project 1, 2014
- 400960 Honours Research Project 2, 2015
- 401276 Clinical Sciences 1, 2019
Chapters in Books
- Mudgil, P. (2011), 'Biosurfactants for soil biology', Bioaugmentation, Biostimulation and Biocontrol, Springer 9783642197680.
- Millar, T., Mudgil, P. and Khanal, S. (2010), 'Meibomian Glands and Lipid Layer', Encyclopedia of the Eye, Academic Press 9780123741981.
- Mudgil, P. (2020), 'Evaluation of use of essential fatty acids in topical ophthalmic preparations for dry eye', The Ocular Surface, vol 18, no 1 , pp 74 - 79.
- Shakur, S., Whitehall, J. and Mudgil, P. (2019), 'Pediatric bloodstream infections in metropolitan Australia', World Journal of Pediatrics, vol 15, no 2 , pp 161 - 167.
- Nikolic, P., Mudgil, P. and Whitehall, J. (2019), 'Formaldehyde as an alternative to antibiotics for treatment of refractory impetigo and other infectious skin diseases', Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy, vol 17, no 9 , pp 681 - 687.
- Mudgil, P., Borchman, D. and Ramasubramanian, A. (2018), 'Insights into tear film stability from babies and young adults : a study of human meibum lipid conformation and rheology', International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol 19, no 11 .
- Sharma, K., Mudgil, P., Whitehall, J. and Gosbell, I. (2017), 'Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans osteomyelitis in a 12 year old boy : case report emphasizing the importance of tissue culture, and review of literature', Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials, vol 16, no 1 .
- Leow, T., Ung, A., Qian, S., Nguyen, J., An, Y., Mudgil, P. and Whitehall, J. (2017), 'Exploring infant feeding practices : cross-sectional surveys of South Western Sydney, Singapore, and Ho Chi Minh City', BMC Pediatrics, vol 17, no 1 .
- Brieger, D., Edwards, M., Mudgil, P. and Whitehall, J. (2017), 'Knowledge, attitudes and opinions towards measles and the MMR vaccine across two NSW cohorts', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol 41, no 6 , pp 641 - 646.
- Mudgil, P., Borchman, D., Gerlach, D. and Yappert, M. (2016), 'Sebum/meibum surface film interactions and phase transitional differences', Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 57, no 6 , pp 2401 - 2411.
- Edwards, M., Mendoza, G., Tovmassian, D., Ling, T., Teh, J., Zhen Ong, O., Mudgil, P. and Whitehall, J. (2015), 'Kawasaki disease in Campbelltown, a suburban hospital', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol 51, no 4 , pp 466 - 467.
- Mudgil, P. (2014), 'Antimicrobial role of human meibomian lipids at the ocular surface', Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Science, vol 55, no 11 , pp 7272 - 7277.
- Mudgil, P., Borchman, D., Yappert, M., Duran, D., Cox, G., Smith, R., Bhola, R., Dennis, G. and Whitehall, J. (2013), 'Lipid order, saturation and surface property relationships : a study of human meibum saturation', Experimental Eye Research, vol 116 , pp 79 - 85.
- Mudgil, P. and Millar, T. (2011), 'Surfactant properties of human meibomian lipids.', Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 52, no 3 , pp 1661 - 1670.
- Herok, G., Mudgil, P. and Millar, T. (2009), 'The effect of Meibomian lipids and tear proteins on evaporation rate under controlled in vitro conditions', Current Eye Research, vol 34, no 7 , pp 589 - 597.
- Millar, T., Mudgil, P., Butovich, I. and Palaniappan, C. (2009), 'Adsorption of human tear lipocalin to human meibomian lipid films', Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol 50, no 1 , pp 140 - 151.
- Mudgil, P. and Millar, T. (2008), 'Adsorption of apo- and holo-tear lipocalin to a bovine Meibomian lipid film', Experimental Eye Research, vol 86, no 4 , pp 622 - 628.
- Millar, T., Tragoulias, S., Anderton, P., Dennis, G., Mudgil, P., Ball, M. and Miano, F. (2006), 'The Surface Activity of Purified Ocular Mucin at the Air-Liquid Interface and Interactions With Meibomian Lipids', Cornea, vol 25, no 1 , pp 91 - 100.
- Mudgil, P., Torres, M. and Millar, T. (2006), 'Adsorption of lysozyme to phospholipid and meibomian lipid monolayer films', Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol 48, no 2 , pp 128 - 137.
- Mudgil, P., Dennis, G. and Millar, T. (2006), 'Interactions of Poly(tert-butyl acrylate)-Poly(styrene) di-block copolymers with lipids at the air-water interface. Langmuir.', Langmuir, vol 22 , pp 7672 - 7677.
- Millar, T. and Mudgil, P. (2006), 'Penetration of human tear lipocalin into a Meibomian lipid layer', Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 47, no 5 , pp 5599 - 5599.
- Mudgil, P., Dennis, G. and Millar, T. (2005), 'The Surface pressure dynamics and appearance of mixed monolayers of cholesterol and different sized polystyrenes at an air-water interface.', Langmuir, vol 21, no 4 , pp 1338 - 1345.
- Explore intricacies of the ocular surface using multidisciplinary approach to find solutions for conditions such as dry-eye and microbial infections
- Antimicrobial resistance and investigating alternatives to antibiotics
- Structure and function of the tear film
- Biophysical and antimicrobial properties of tear components
- Polymers and surfactants for ocular surface conditions
This information has been contributed by Doctor Mudgil.
|Title:||Stabalisation of the lipid layer of the tear film by lipid like polymers for treating dry eye syndrome|
|Western Researchers:||Poonam Mudgil|
|Years:||2004-01-20 - 2004-09-16|
|Title:||Analysis of the tear film of the eye - what makes it work|
|Western Researchers:||Thomas Millar and Poonam Mudgil|
|Years:||2006-11-24 - 2007-11-23|
Doctor Mudgil is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Understanding Innate Host Defence Mechanism of Tears in Children|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||The Effect of Permethrin Cream on Staphylococcal Infections and Studies on Methicillin Sensitive and Resistant Strains of Staphylococcus Aureus|
|Field of Research:||Other Health|
|Thesis Title:||Lipids as antimicrobial agents|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Understanding the physical properties of meibomian lipid films|
|Field of Research:||Biological Sciences|