Doctor Nicholas Sheppard
ACA, Information Systems & ACA, Bachelor of Information and Communications Technology,
Computing & ICT
Senior Lecturer of Practice in Computing,
Computing & ICT
I currently hold a fractional appointment as Senior Lecturer of Practice in Computing at Western Sydney University. I was previously an Assistant Professor at the Singapore Institute of Technology, and before that a Sessional Lecturer at Victoria University Sydney. Over various roles in various institutions I’ve taught programming, mathematics, software design and software performance.
I received a PhD from the School of Information Technologies at the University of Sydney in 2001, and was afterwards a research fellow in multimedia security at the School of Computer Science and Software Engineering at the University of Wollongong and iCore Information Security Lab at the University of Calgary. I was later a software engineer at the Queensland Universityof Technology Library and Intersect.
My principal research interests are digital rights management, digital libraries and open data. At the University of Wollongong and University of Calgary, I published research in copyright protection, privacy, digital watermarking, and the security of electronic healthcare records. At the Queensland University of Technology and Intersect, I developed software to support the publication and sharing of scholarly articles and data.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Sheppard.
- PhD University of Sydney
- BSc University of Queensland
- BE (Honours) University of Queensland
- IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology (2006)
- IEEE Computer Society (2006)
- Information Security
- Library Information Systems
- Social implications of IT
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Computing & ICT
- Computing & ICT
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9585|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Safavi-Naini, R. and Sheppard, N. (2014), 'Content-sharing in digital rights management', Digital Rights Management: Technology, Standards and Applications, Auerbach Publications 9781439879924.
- Sheppard, N. (2011), 'Distributing sensitive information in the MPEG-21 multimedia framework', The Handbook of MPEG Applications: Standards in Practice, Wiley 9780470750070.
- Sheppard, N. (2020), 'Can smart contracts learn from digital rights management?', IEEE Technology and Society Magazine, vol 39, no 1 , pp 69 - 75.
- Stamm, S., Sheppard, N. and Safavi-Naini, R. (2008), 'Implementing trusted terminals with a TPM and SITDRM', Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, vol 197, no 1 , pp 73 - 85.
- Jafari, M., Fong, P., Safavi-Naini, R., Barker, K. and Sheppard, N. (2011), 'Towards defining semantic foundations for purpose-based privacy policies', ACM Conference on Data and Application Security & Privacy, San Antonio, Tex..
- Jafari, M., Safavi-Naini, R. and Sheppard, N. (2011), 'A rights management approach to protection of privacy in a cloud of electronic health records', ACM Workshop on Digital Rights Management, Chicago, Il..
- Jafari, M., Safavi-Naini, R., Saunders, C. and Sheppard, N. (2010), 'Using digital rights management for securing data in a medical research environment', ACM Workshop on Digital Rights Management, Chicago, Il..
- Salim, F., Sheppard, N. and Safavi-Naini, R. (2010), 'A rights management approach to securing data distribution in coalitions', International Conference on Network and System Security, Melbourne, Vic..
- Jafari, M., Safavi-Naini, R. and Sheppard, N. (2009), 'Enforcing purpose of use via workflows', ACM Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society, Chicago, Il..
- Vasanta, H., Safavi-Naini, R., Sheppard, N. and Surminen, J. (2007), 'Distributed management of OMA DRM domains', WISA (Workshop : Information security), Jeju Island, South Korea.
- Salim, F., Sheppard, N. and Safavi-Naini, R. (2007), 'Enforcing P3P policies using a digital rights management system', International Symposium on Privacy Enhancing Technologies, Ottawa, Canada.
- Surminen, M., Sheppard, N. and Safavi-Naini, R. (2007), 'Location-based DRM using WiFi access points', International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Sheppard, N. (2007), 'On implementing MPEG-21 intellectual property management and protection', ACM Workshop on Digital Rights Management, Alexandria, Va..
- Sheppard, N. and Safavi-Naini, R. (2006), 'Sharing digital rights with domain licensing', ACM International Workshop on Contents Protection and Security, Santa Barbara, Calif..
- Sheppard, N. and Safavi-Naini, R. (2006), 'Protecting privacy with the MPEG-21 IPMP framework', International Workshop on Privacy Enhancing Technologies, Cambridge, U.K..