Doctor Mike Armour
Postdoctoral Research Fellow - Women's Health,
NICM Health Research Institute
Dr Mike Armour joined NICM in 2016 as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow working in the area of Women's Health. Mike's background is a mixture of western and eastern medicine, having completed an honours degree in Biomedicine before training as a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner.
He completed his PhD examining the effect of acupuncture on the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea at NICM under the supervision of Professor Caroline Smith, Professor Hannah Dahlen, Dr Xiaoshu Zhu and Professor Cindy Faruqhar in 2016.
Mike started his research career in 2001, as a summer scholar working on cardiovascular biophysics at the Faculty of Medicine in Auckland, New Zealand. While studying acupuncture Mike then worked as a Research Assistant serving the largest District Health Board population in the New Zealand at the Waitemata District Health Board, being involved in a range of health related research, with a specific focus on complementary and integrative medicine. He tutored at the Faculty of Medicine for several years, and more recently at the NZ School of Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine from 2010-2016, specializing in research methodology. Mike also ran a busy clinical practice at The Body Workshop, specializing in women’s health.
Mike's research areas include gynaecology, pregnancy and fertility, and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). He is experienced in implementing research projects across international borders and has a specific interest in dysmenorrhea and chronic pelvic pain.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Armour.
- Phd University of Western Sydney
- BHSc New Zealand School of Acupuncture & Trad Chin Med
- BSc(Hons) University of Auckland
- JACKA Writing Scholarship 2015-08-08
- Best Oral Presentation: ICCMR 2015 2015-05-11
- Best Poster Presentation: ISAMS 2015 2015-10-04
- Acupuncture and Moxibustion
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Chronic pain
- Menstrual irregularities
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- NICM Health Research Institute
|Phone:||(02) 9685 4720|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Smith, C. and Armour, M. (2018), 'Alternative therapies to improve conception rates', How to Improve Preconception Health to Maximise IVF Success, Cambridge University Press 9781316620731.
- Armour, M., Ee, C. and Steiner, G. (2018), 'Randomized controlled trials', Handbook of Research Methods in Health Social Sciences, Springer 9789811052507.
- Chalmers, K. and Armour, M. (2018), 'The Delphi technique', Handbook of Research Methods in Health Social Sciences, Springer 9789811052507.
- Smith, C., Armour, M., Sabe, Z., Tan, H., Norman, R. and Johnson, N. (2019), 'Acupuncture performed around the time of embryo transfer : a systematic review and meta-analysis', Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol 38, no 3 , pp 364 - 379.
- Armour, M., Smith, C., Steel, K. and MacMillan, F. (2019), 'The effectiveness of self-care and lifestyle interventions in primary dysmenorrhea : a systematic review and meta-analysis', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 19, no 1 .
- Armour, M., Sinclair, J., Chalmers, K. and Smith, C. (2019), 'Self-management strategies amongst Australian women with endometriosis : a national online survey', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 19, no 1 .
- Nash, J., Armour, M. and Penkala, S. (2019), 'Acupuncture for the treatment of lower limb diabetic peripheral neuropathy : a systematic review', Acupuncture in Medicine, vol 37, no 1 , pp 3 - 15.
- Smith, C., Chang, E., Gallego, G., Khan, A., Armour, M. and Balneaves, L. (2019), 'An education intervention to improve decision making and health literacy among older Australians : a randomised controlled trial', BMC Geriatrics, vol 19, no 1 .
- Armour, M., Parry, K., Manohar, N., Holmes, K., Ferfolja, T., Curry, C., MacMillan, F. and Smith, C. (2019), '[In Press] The prevalence and academic impact of dysmenorrhea in 21,573 young women : a systematic review and meta-analysis', Journal of Women's Health, .
- Gallego, G., Gugnani, S., Armour, M., Smith, C. and Chang, E. (2019), 'Attitudes and factors involved in decision-making around complementary and alternative medicines (CAMs) by older Australians : a qualitative study', European Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol 29 .
- Mudhune, G., Armour, M. and McBride, K. (2019), 'Safety of menopausal hormone therapy in breast cancer survivors older than fifty at diagnosis : a systematic review and meta-analysis', The Breast, vol 47 , pp 43 - 55.
- Hunter, J. and Armour, M. (2019), 'Stop, listen, and learn : using mixed methods to add value to clinical trials', Journal of Evidence-Based Integrative Medicine, vol 24 .
- Armour, M., Parry, K., Al-Dabbas, M., Curry, C., Holmes, K., MacMillan, F., Ferfolja, T. and Smith, C. (2019), 'Self-care strategies and sources of knowledge on menstruation in 12,526 young women with dysmenorrhea : a systematic review and meta-analysis', PLoS One, vol 14, no 7 .
- Diezel, H., Armour, M., Micheal, S. and Chalmers, J. (2019), 'The potential role of complementary medicine in women with pelvic pain', Advances in Integrative Medicine, vol 6, no Suppl. 1 , pp 132 - 133.
- Armour, M., Smith, C., Wang, L., Naidoo, D., Yang, G., MacPherson, H., Lee, M. and Hay, P. (2019), 'Acupuncture for depression : a systematic review and meta-analysis', Journal of Clinical Medicine, vol 8, no 8 .
- Armour, M., Smith, C., Schabrun, S., Steiner, G., Zhu, X., Lawson, K. and Song, J. (2018), 'Manual acupuncture plus usual care versus usual care alone in the treatment of endometriosis-related chronic pelvic pain : study protocol for a randomised controlled feasibility study', Pilot and Feasibility Studies, vol 4, no 10 .
- Smith, C., Armour, M., Soo Lee, M., Wang, L. and Hay, P. (2018), 'Acupuncture for depression (Intervention Review)', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2018, no 3 .
- Smith, C., Levett, K., Collins, C., Armour, M., Dahlen, H. and Suganuma, M. (2018), 'Relaxation techniques for pain management in labour [Intervention review]', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 3 .
- Armour, M., Ee, C., Hao, J., Wilson, T., Yao, S. and Smith, C. (2018), 'Acupuncture and acupressure for premenstrual syndrome', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 8 .
- Armour, M., Dahlen, H., Zhu, X., Farquhar, C. and Smith, C. (2017), 'The role of treatment timing and mode of stimulation in the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea with acupuncture : an exploratory randomised controlled trial', PLoS One, vol 12, no 7 .
- Smith, C., Armour, M. and Dahlen, H. (2017), 'Acupuncture or acupressure for induction of labour', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, , no 10 .
- Smith, C., Armour, M. and Ee, C. (2016), 'Complementary therapies and medicines and reproductive medicine', Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, vol 34, no 2 , pp 67 - 73.
- Armour, M., Dahlen, H. and Smith, C. (2016), 'More than needles : the importance of explanations and self-care advice in treating primary dysmenorrhea with acupuncture', Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 2016 .
- Smith, C., Armour, M., Zhu, X., Li, X., Lu, Z. and Song, J. (2016), 'Acupuncture for dysmenorrhoea (Intervention Review)', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2016, no 4 , pp 1 - 129.
- Armour, M. and Smith, C. (2016), 'Treating primary dysmenorrhoea with acupuncture: a narrative review of the relationship between acupuncture 'dose' and menstrual pain outcomes', Acupuncture in Medicine, vol 34 , pp 416 - 424.
- Smith, C., Armour, M. and Betts, D. (2014), 'Treatment of women's reproductive health conditions by Australian and New Zealand acupuncturists', Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol 22, no 4 , pp 710 - 718.
- Yates, K., Armour, M. and Pena, A. (2009), 'Complementary therapy use amongst emergency medicine patients', Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol 17, no 4 , pp 224 - 228.
- Armour, M. (2013), 'From clinical practice to clinical trial : the development of a clinical trial protocol for period pain', World Conference on Acupuncture, Sydney, N.S.W..
|Title:||The effect of a topical pharmaceutical on oral herpes|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour and Stephen Myers|
|Years:||2018-04-05 - 2019-10-05|
|Title:||Understanding chronic pelvic pain: Acupuncture practitioners knowledge and treatment strategies|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour, Dr Susan Arentz Arentz and Caroline Smith|
|Years:||2017-09-04 - 2019-11-30|
|Title:||Development of a clinically relevant design to explore the efficacy of a modified Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan formulation (Gynoclear) for the treatment of endometriosis|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour, Carolyn Ee, Caroline Smith, Dr Susan Arentz Arentz, Jane Ussher and Kenny Lawson|
|Years:||2018-10-01 - 2020-03-31|
|Title:||Medicinal cannabis for primary dysmenorrhoea|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour and Justin Sinclair|
|Years:||2019-08-16 - 2020-05-16|
|Title:||The use of medicinal cannabis for the symptomatic management of endometriosis: A mixed methods project|
|Western Researchers:||Justin Sinclair, Mike Armour and Jerome Sarris|
|Years:||2019-07-10 - 2022-07-10|
|Title:||Experiences of women with and without confirmed pathology accessing health care and support services for their pelvic pain|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour, Sowbhagya Micheal, Jane Chalmers and Caroline Smith|
|Years:||2017-10-02 - 2018-05-31|
|Title:||Warner Bros Natural Remedies Research|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee, Natalie Connor, Suzanne Grant, Dina Vadassery, Mitchell Low and Mike Armour|
|Years:||2018-10-29 - 2018-12-20|
|Title:||Dynamiclear clinical trial protocol development|
|Years:||2017-07-01 - 2017-10-31|
|Title:||NICM- Bowen Therapists Practitioner based Research|
|Years:||2016-10-21 - 2017-03-09|
|Title:||Development and piloting of a menstrual health literacy program for women aged under 25|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour, Kathryn Holmes, Caroline Smith, Freya Macmillan, Tania Ferfolja and Christina Curry|
|Years:||2018-01-15 - 2019-04-30|