Doctor Mark Jones
DAP - BSc & BSc, Adv,
Dean's Unit, School of Science
Dr Jones conducted his PhD in Sydney, with CSIRO, from 1988 to the end of 1990. Following 2 years international experience at the National Institutes of Health (NIH, Institute of Child Health & Human Development) in Washington DC and 2 years at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI), in La Jolla, California (USA), Dr Jones subsequently returned to CSIRO, as a Senior Research Scientist/Project Leader. As a research manager Dr Jones participated in 2 CRC's and secured >$4M of industry funds for cross-institutional research programs, supported an AusIndustry Development project and established a laboratory with innovative Postgraduate and Postdoctoral training programs. The commercial nature of Dr Jones' research activities resulted in Intellectual Property, including National & International Patents. Dr Jones joined UWS in the winter of 2001 taking on the challenge of developing advanced Blended and Problem Based Learning in the Biochemistry disciplines, including Molecular Medicine and Cellular Biotechnology. Dr Jones' laboratory has successfully supported over 50 graduate and postgraduate students as well as six Postdoctoral Fellows to date. More recently Dr Jones, as Chief Investigator, was charged with securing $2M of funding from the Federal Government that enabled the development of the UWS Confocal Bio-Imaging Facility.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Jones.
- PhD Macquarie University
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit, School of Science
- Life Sciences
|Phone:||(02) 4570 1444|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Jayawardena, B., Jones, M., Hong, Y. and Jones, C. (2019), 'Copper ions trigger disassembly of neurokinin B functional amyloid and inhibit de novo assembly', Journal of Structural Biology, vol 208, no 3 .
- Zhang, J., Hirst, A., Duan, F., Qiu, H., Huang, R., Ji, Y., Bai, L., Zhang, F., Robinson, D., Jones, M., Li, L., Wang, P., Jiang, P., Andrews, P., Barbaric, I. and Na, J. (2019), 'Anti-apoptotic mutations desensitize human pluripotent stem cells to mitotic stress and enable aneuploid cell survival', Stem Cell Reports, vol 12, no 3 , pp 557 - 571.
- Sediqi, H., Wray, A., Jones, C. and Jones, M. (2018), 'Application of Spectral Phasor analysis to sodium microenvironments in myoblast progenitor cells', PLoS One, vol 13, no 10 .
- Allison, T., Smith, A., Anastassiadis, K., Sloane-Stanley, J., Biga, V., Stavish, D., Hackland, J., Sabri, S., Langerman, J., Jones, M., Plath, K., Coca, D., Barbaric, I., Gokhale, P. and Andrews, P. (2018), 'Identification and single-cell functional characterization of an endodermally biased pluripotent substate in human embryonic stem cells', Stem Cell Reports, vol 10, no 6 , pp 1895 - 1907.
- Shahzad, R., Jones, M., Viles, J. and Jones, C. (2016), 'Endocytosis of the tachykinin neuropeptide, neurokinin B, in astrocytes and its role in cellular copper uptake', Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol 162 , pp 319 - 325.
- Moore, S., Kailasapathy, K., Phillips, M. and Jones, M. (2015), 'Development of a viability standard curve for microencapsulated probiotic bacteria using confocal microscopy and image analysis software', Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol 114 , pp 16 - 22.
- Mieruszynski, S., Briggs, C., Digman, M., Gratton, E. and Jones, M. (2015), 'Live cell characterization of DNA aggregation delivered through lipofection', Scientific Reports, vol 5 .
- Whitty, E., Maniego, A., Bentwitch, S., Guillaneuf, Y., Jones, M., Gaborieau, M. and Castignolles, P. (2015), 'Cellular response to linear and branched poly(acrylic acid)', Macromolecular Bioscience, vol 15, no 12 , pp 1724 - 1734.
- Mieruszynski, S., Digman, M., Gratton, E. and Jones, M. (2015), 'Characterization of exogenous DNA mobility in live cells through fluctuation correlation spectroscopy', Scientific Reports, vol 5 .
- Andrews, L., Jones, M., Digman, M. and Gratton, E. (2013), 'Spectral phasor analysis of Pyronin Y labeled RNA microenvironments in living cells', Biomedical Optics Express, vol 4, no 1 , pp 171 - 177.
- Torno, K., Wright, B., Jones, M., Digman, M., Gratton, E. and Phillips, M. (2013), 'Real-time analysis of metabolic activity within Lactobacillus acidophilus by phasor fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy of NADH', Current Microbiology, vol 66, no 4 , pp 365 - 367.
- Wu, M., Murphy, P., O'Doherty, P., Mieruszynski, S., Jones, M., Kersaitis, C., Rogers, P., Bailey, T. and Higgins, V. (2012), 'Delineation of the molecular mechanism for disulfide stress-induced aluminium toxicity', BioMetals, vol 25, no 3 , pp 553 - 561.
- Wright, B., Andrews, L., Jones, M., Stringari, C., Digman, M. and Gratton, E. (2012), 'Phasor-FLIM analysis of NADH distribution and localization in the nucleus of live progenitor myoblast cells', Microscopy Research and Technique, vol 75, no 12 , pp 1717 - 1722.
- Wright, B., Andrews, L., Markham, J., Jones, M., Stringari, C., Digman, M. and Gratton, E. (2012), 'NADH distribution in live progenitor stem cells by phasor-fluorescence lifetime image microscopy', Biophysical Journal, vol 103, no 1 , pp 07 - 09.
- Jajo, A., McGlasson, B., Holford, P., Jones, M., Golding, J., Bonghi, C., Ziliotto, F., Rasori, A. and Tonutti, P. (2012), 'Transcriptome analysis of the differential effects of 1-MCP on the development of chilling injury in peaches harvested at early and late maturities', Acta Horticulturae, vol 934 , pp 1003 - 1009.
- Jajo, A., McGlasson, B., Jones, M., Holford, P., Golding, J., Bonghi, C., Ziliotto, F. and Tonutti, P. (2012), 'Investigations into the molecular and physiological factors influencing low temperature breakdown in stonefruit', Acta Horticulturae, vol 962 , pp 155 - 160.
|Title:||Exploring the relationship between amyloids and chromogranins|
|Western Researchers:||Christopher Jones and Mark Jones|
|Years:||2020-12-01 - 2023-12-01|
|Title:||Development of the Confocal Bio-Imaging System|
|Western Researchers:||Mark Jones|
|Years:||2006-06-14 - 2008-12-31|
|Title:||Immunomodulation by gut bacteria and gastrointestinal health|
|Western Researchers:||Kasipathy Kailasapathy and Mark Jones|
|Years:||2003-09-15 - 2005-01-31|
|Title:||Application of new genomic tools for the improvement of quality and cool storage life of stone fruit|
|Western Researchers:||Barry Mcglasson, Paul Holford and Mark Jones|
|Years:||2006-11-24 - 2009-02-28|
|Title:||CBBR Jurox scholarships|
|Western Researchers:||Mark Jones|
|Years:||2001-12-10 - 2002-12-31|
|Title:||Branched degradable polymers for anti-cancer drugs delivery|
|Western Researchers:||Patrice Castignolles, Janice Aldrich-Wright and Mark Jones|
|Years:||2011-11-09 - 2012-11-08|
|Title:||Determining the intracellular trafficking pathways of tachkinin-copper(II)-receptor complexes and elucidation of the fate of copper|
|Western Researchers:||Christopher Jones, Mark Jones and Jo-Anne Chuck|
|Years:||2018-04-27 - 2020-10-27|
Doctor Jones is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||The Mitochondrial Behaviour in B Lymphocyte L1210 in Reaction to Biofilm Formed by E.coli|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy Analysis of Molecular Intgeractions Between Intracellular Symbionts and Progenitor Cells|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Developing a Model to Modulate Silenced and Active Endogenous Genes through Gene Therapy|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Understanding the Intracellular Dynamics of Endogenous Ribonucleic Acid Species in Living Cells|
|Field of Research:||Biological Sciences|