Doctor Maria Bhatti
School Of Law
Dr Maria Bhatti is a lecturer with the School of Law.
She completed her bachelor of laws and master of laws from the University of Melbourne. Her masters thesis focussed on the taxation implications of Islamic finance for which she received a prestigious scholarship by the National Australia Bank. She completed her PhD from Monash University, and her thesis examined the intersection of religious and secular law through the lens of international commercial arbitration.
Prior to completing her PhD, she worked as a family lawyer in Melbourne.She has previously taught 'Equity and Trusts' at Monash University and University of Technology Sydney in the department of law.
Maria is the author of Islamic Law and International Commercial Arbitration published by Routledge in 2018. Her research interests include international commercial arbitration, corporate governance, equity and trusts, Islamic law, dispute resolution and business law.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Bhatti.
- PhD Monash University
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School Of Law
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9608|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 200432 Commercial Law, 2019
- 200757 Equity & Trusts, 2019
- Bhatti, M. (2019), 'Islamic Law and International Commercial Arbitration', : Routledge 9781138604254.
Chapters in Books
- Bhatti, M. (2020), 'Resolving Islamic finance disputes through arbitration in the Middle East', The Growth of Islamic Finance and Banking: Innovation, Governance and Risk Mitigation, Routledge 9780367205881.
- Bhatti, M. (2019), 'Islamic dispute resolution in the United Kingdom', Dispute Resolution in Islamic Finance: Alternatives to Litigation?, Routledge 9780815393313.
- Bhatti, M. and Bhatti, M. (2011), 'Development of legal issues of corporate governance for Islamic banking', The Foundations of Islamic Banking: Theory, Practice and Education, Edward Elgar Publishing 9781849807920.
- Bhatti, M. (2020), 'Managing Shariah non-complicance risk via Islamic dispute resolution', Journal of Risk and Financial Management, vol 13, no 2 .
- Bhatti, M. (2019), 'The role of Shari'a in international commercial arbitration', Wisconsin International Law Journal, vol 36, no 1 , pp 46 - 86.
- Bhatti, M. (2015), 'Taxation treatment of Islamic finance products in Australia', Deakin Law Review, vol 20, no 2 , pp 263 - 298.
- Bhatti, M. (2011), 'Mudaraba, musharaka, murabaha : new terms to bank on', Law Institute Journal, vol 85, no 8 , pp 48 - 52.
- Bhatti, M. and Bhatti, M. (2010), 'Toward understanding Islamic corporate governance issues in Islamic finance', Asian Politics and Policy, vol 2, no 1 , pp 25 - 38.
|Description:||Islamic dispute resolution|