Doctor Maria Bhatti
School of Law
Dr Maria Bhatti is a lecturer with the School of Law.
She completed her bachelor of laws and master of laws from the University of Melbourne. Her masters thesis focussed on the taxation implications of Islamic finance for which she received a prestigious scholarship by the National Australia Bank. She completed her PhD from Monash University, and her thesis examined the intersection of religious and secular law through the lens of international commercial arbitration. Maria is the author of Islamic Law and International Commercial Arbitration published by Routledge in 2019 for which she received the Emeritus Professor H P Lee Student’s Publication Prize (Monash University). She also provides expert advice on the i-Arbitration rules to the Asian International Arbitration Centre (Malaysia).
Prior to completing her PhD, she worked as a family lawyer in Melbourne. She has previously taught 'Equity and Trusts' at Monash University and University of Technology Sydney in the department of law.
Her research and supervision interests include religion and the law including the relationship between religious and secular law, law and religion in society, and international comparative law perspectives. Maria is also interested in cultural diversity, equity and inclusion at the workplace.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Bhatti.
- PhD Monash University
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Law
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- LAWS3018 Equity & Trusts
- LAWS3039 Islam, International Law and Human Rights
Previous Teaching Areas
- 200432 Commercial Law, 2019
- 200757 Equity & Trusts, 2019
- 200757 Equity & Trusts, 2021
- Bhatti, M. (2019), 'Islamic Law and International Commercial Arbitration', : Routledge 9781138604254.
Chapters in Books
- Bhatti, M. (2020), 'Resolving Islamic finance disputes through arbitration in the Middle East', The Growth of Islamic Finance and Banking: Innovation, Governance and Risk Mitigation, Routledge 9780367205881.
- Bhatti, M. (2019), 'Islamic dispute resolution in the United Kingdom', Dispute Resolution in Islamic Finance: Alternatives to Litigation?, Routledge 9780815393313.
- Bhatti, M. and Bhatti, M. (2011), 'Development of legal issues of corporate governance for Islamic banking', The Foundations of Islamic Banking: Theory, Practice and Education, Edward Elgar Publishing 9781849807920.
- Bhatti, M. (2020), 'Managing Shariah non-complicance risk via Islamic dispute resolution', Journal of Risk and Financial Management, vol 13, no 2 .
- Bhatti, M. (2019), 'The role of Shari'a in international commercial arbitration', Wisconsin International Law Journal, vol 36, no 1 , pp 46 - 86.
- Bhatti, M. (2015), 'Taxation treatment of Islamic finance products in Australia', Deakin Law Review, vol 20, no 2 , pp 263 - 298.
- Bhatti, M. (2011), 'Mudaraba, musharaka, murabaha : new terms to bank on', Law Institute Journal, vol 85, no 8 , pp 48 - 52.
- Bhatti, M. and Bhatti, M. (2010), 'Toward understanding Islamic corporate governance issues in Islamic finance', Asian Politics and Policy, vol 2, no 1 , pp 25 - 38.
|Thesis Title:||Deciphering the Political Economy Underpinning of Shariah Business Products Development in Indonesia|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Risk and Regulation of Islamic Banks: The Indonesian Experience|
|Field of Research:||Business And Commercial Law; Banking, Finance And Related Fields; Law, N.e.c.|
|Thesis Title:||Management of Hajj Pilgrim Funds in Indonesia; Considerations of Efficiency and Fairness to Pilgrims|
|Field of Research:|