Doctor Karen Mattock
DAP - Under Graduate Psychology,
Dean's Unit, School of Psychology
Senior Lecturer in Psychological Science,
Senior Lecturer in Lifespan Development, School of Social Sciences & Psychology, University of Western Sydney
Education and Past Positions:
- Bachelor of Psychology (hons, Class I), University of Wollongong, Australia (2000)
- PhD (Psychology), University of Western Sydney, Australia (2005). Supervised by Prof Denis Burnham Postdoctoral Fellow in Centre for Research in Language, Mind, and Brain
- School of Communication Sciences & Disorders, McGill University, Canada (2004-2007). Supervised by Associate Prof Linda Polka and Associate Prof Susan Rvachew Research Council U.K Fellow (2007-2012) & Academic Fellow (2012), Lancaster University U.K
This information has been contributed by Doctor Mattock.
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- BPsych(Hons) University of Wollongong
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit, School of Psychology
- Psychological Science
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6619|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Moustafa, A., Miezah, D., Crouse, J., Tindle, R., Richard, Y. and Mattock, K. (2021), 'A review on depression following major life transitions', The Nature of Depression: an Updated Review, Academic Press 9780128176764.
- Mattock, K. (2012), 'Infant language learning', Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning, Springer 9781441914279.
- Rvachew, S., Mattock, K., Clayards, M., Chiang, P. and Brosseau-Lapre, F. (2012), 'Perceptual considerations in multilingual adult and child speech acquisition', Multilingual Aspects of Speech Sound Disorders in Children, Multilingual Matters 9781847695123.
- Burnham, D. and Mattock, K. (2010), 'Auditory Development', The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Infant Development, Wiley-Blackwell 9781444332735.
- Mattock, K., Amitay, S. and Moore, D. (2010), 'Auditory development and learning', Oxford Handbook of Auditory Science, Volume 3, Hearing, Oxford University Press 9780199581412.
- Burnham, D. and Mattock, K. (2007), 'The perception of tones and phones', Language Experience in Second Language Speech Learning: In honor of James Emil Flege, John Benjamins 9027219737.
- Burnham, D., Kitamura, C. and Mattock, K. (2007), 'Psycholinguistics meets Psycholinguistics: different emphases, sustainable collaborations', Unfolding linguistics in honour of Sudaporn Luksaneeyanawin, Chulalongkorn University Press 9789749897690.
- Polka, L., Rvachew, S. and Mattock, K. (2007), 'Experiential influences on speech perception and speech production in infancy', Blackwell Handbook of Language Development, Blackwell 9781405132534.
- Iordanou, C. and Mattock, K. (2022), 'Where the wild things are : understanding of emotions in a picture book', Education 3-13, vol 50, no 5 , pp 627 - 639.
- Jones, C., Kalashnikova, M., Khamchuang, C., Best, C., Bowcock, E., Dwyer, A., Hammond, H., Hendy, C., Jones, K., Kaplun, C., Kemp, L., Lam-Cassettari, C., Li, W., Mattock, K., Odemis, S. and Short, K. (2022), 'A short-form version of the Australian English communicative development inventory', International Journal of Speech Language Pathology, vol 24, no 4 , pp 341 - 351.
- Khamchuang, C., Jones, C., Gilbert, E., Mattock, K. and Lam-Cassettari, C. (2022), '[In Press] Suitability of vocabulary assessments : comparing child scores and parent perspectives on communicative inventories for Aboriginal families in Western Sydney', International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, .
- Moustafa, A., Crouse, J., Herzallah, M., Salama, M., Mohamed, W., Misiak, B., Frydecka, D., Al-Dosari, N., Megreya, A. and Mattock, K. (2020), 'Depression following major life transitions in women : a review and theory', Psychological Reports, vol 123, no 5 , pp 1501 - 1517.
- Jones, C., Collyer, E., Fejo, J., Khamchuang, C., Painter, A., Rosas, L., Mattock, K., Dunajcik, A., Escudero, P. and Dwyer, A. (2020), 'Developing a parent vocabulary checklist for young Indigenous children growing up multilingual in the Katherine region of Australia's Northern Territory', International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, vol 22, no 5 , pp 583 - 590.
- Kalashnikova, M., Oliveri, A. and Mattock, K. (2019), 'Acceptance of lexical overlap by monolingual and bilingual toddlers', International Journal of Bilingualism, vol 23, no 6 , pp 1517 - 1530.
- Singh, L., Burnham, D., Hay, J., Liu, L. and Mattock, K. (2019), 'Lexical tone perception in infants and young children : empirical studies and theoretical perspectives', Frontiers in Psychology, vol 10 .
- Burnham, D., Singh, L., Mattock, K., Woo, P. and Kalashnikova, M. (2018), 'Constraints on tone sensitivity in novel word learning by monolingual and bilingual infants : tone properties are more influential than tone familiarity', Frontiers in Psychology, vol 8 .
- Jones, S., Sharma, M., Harkus, S., McMahon, C., Taumoepeau, M., Demuth, K., Mattock, K., Rosas, L., Wing, R., Pawar, S. and Hampshire, A. (2018), 'A program to respond to otitis media in remote Australian Aboriginal communities : a qualitative investigation of parent perspectives', BMC Pediatrics, vol 18 .
- Kalashnikova, M., Mattock, K. and Monaghan, P. (2016), 'Flexible use of mutual exclusivity in word learning', Language Learning and Development, vol 12, no 1 , pp 79 - 91.
- Kalashnikova, M., Mattock, K. and Monaghan, P. (2016), 'Mutual exclusivity develops as a consequence of abstract rather than particular vocabulary knowledge', First Language, vol 36, no 5 , pp 451 - 464.
- Monaghan, P., Mattock, K., Davies, R. and Smith, A. (2015), 'Gavagai is as Gavagai does : learning nouns and verbs from cross-situational statistics', Cognitive Science, vol 39, no 5 , pp 1099 - 1112.
- Kalashnikova, M., Mattock, K. and Monaghan, P. (2015), 'The effects of linguistic experience on the flexible use of mutual exclusivity in word learning', Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, vol 18, no 4 , pp 626 - 638.
- Kalashnikova, M. and Mattock, K. (2014), 'Maturation of executive functioning skills in early sequential bilingualism', International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, vol 17, no 1 , pp 111 - 123.
- Kalashnikova, M., Mattock, K. and Monaghan, P. (2014), 'Disambiguation of novel labels and referential facts : a developmental perspective', First Language, vol 34, no 2 , pp 125 - 135.
- Walker, P., Bremner, J., Mason, U., Spring, J., Mattock, K., Slater, A. and Johnson, S. (2014), 'Preverbal infants are sensitive to cross-sensory correspondences : much ado about the null results of Lewkowicz and Minar (2014)', Psychological Science, vol 25, no 3 , pp 835 - 836.
- Allen, M., Mattock, K. and Silva, M. (2014), 'Symbolic understanding of pictures and written words share a common source', Journal of Cognition and Culture, vol 3, no 3-4 , pp 187 - 198.
- Monaghan, P. and Mattock, K. (2012), 'Integrating constraints for learning word-referent mappings', Cognition, vol 123, no 1 , pp 133 - 143.
- Monaghan, P., Mattock, K. and Walker, P. (2012), 'The role of sound symbolism in language learning', Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, vol 38, no 5 , pp 1152 - 1164.
- Mattock, K., Polka, L., Rvachew, S. and Krehm, M. (2010), 'The first steps in word learning are easier when the shoes fit : comparing monolingual and bilingual infants', Developmental Science, vol 13, no 1 , pp 229 - 243.
- Walker, P., Bremner, J., Mason, U., Spring, J., Mattock, K., Slater, A. and Johnson, S. (2010), 'Preverbal infants' sensitivity to synaesthetic cross-modality correspondences', Psychological Science, vol 21, no 1 , pp 21 - 25.
- Mattock, K., Molnar, M., Polka, L. and Burnham, D. (2008), 'The developmental course of lexical tone perception in the first year of life', Cognition, vol 106, no 3 , pp 1367 - 1381.
- Rvachew, S., Alhaidary, A., Mattock, K. and Polka, L. (2008), 'Emergence of the corner vowels in the babble produced by infants exposed to Canadian English or Canadian French', Journal of Phonetics, vol 36, no 4 , pp 564 - 577.
- Panneton, R., Kitamura, C., Mattock, K. and Burnham, D. (2006), 'Slow Speech Enhances Younger But not older infants' perception of Vocal Emotion', Research in Human Development, vol 3, no 1 , pp 7 - 19.
- Mattock, K. and Burnham, D. (2006), 'Chinese and English Infants' Tone Perception: Evidence for Perceptual Reorganization', Infancy, vol 10, no 3 , pp 241 - 265.
- Rvachew, S., Mattock, K., Polka, L. and Menard, L. (2006), 'Developmental and cross-linguistic variation in the infant vowel space', Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 120, no 4 , pp 2250 - 2259.
- Zeng, Z., Mattock, K., Liu, L., Peter, V., Tuninetti, A. and Tsao, F. (2020), 'Mandarin and English adults' cue-weighting of lexical stress', INTERSPEECH (Conference), Online.
- Kalashnikova, M. and Mattock, K. (2011), 'The disambiguation effect as a manifestation of socio-pragmatic competence', Tokyo Conference on Psycholinguistics, Tokyo, Japan.
- Monaghan, P. and Mattock, K. (2009), 'Cross-situational language learning : the effects of grammatical categories as constraints on referential labeling', Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- 2018, 'Tackling Maternal Anxiety in the Perinatal Period: Reconceptualising Mothering Narratives', Report
I investigate language development with particular focus on speech perception and babbling in infancy and and word learning in infants, children and adults using phonetic, constraints, socio-pragmatic, cross-situational, and sound-symbolic approaches. I am interested in the factors that influence language development such as exposure and experience with language, cross-linguistic influences, learning one vs two languages (bilingualism), hearing impairment, and infant-directed speech. My most significant contribution is in the area of infants' perception of lexical tone, a feature of tone languages such as Mandarin and Thai.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Mattock.
|Title:||Evaluation of Neuroprotective Developmental Care in Rural Primary Care|
|Western Researchers:||Karen Mattock, Virginia Schmied and Susan Hespos|
|Years:||2022-05-23 - 2024-06-30|
|Title:||Learning to Talk, Talking to Learn: Effects of an early childhood language program in remote Northern Territory indigenous communities|
|Western Researchers:||Paola Escudero Neyra and Karen Mattock|
|Years:||2015-04-22 - 2018-04-29|
|Title:||Making speech three-dimensional: Adding tone to consonant- and vowel-based speech perception and language acquisition research, quantification and theory|
|Western Researchers:||Denis Burnham and Karen Mattock|
|Years:||2009-01-01 - 2014-06-30|
|Title:||How in-language advertising impacts behaviour|
|Western Researchers:||Kevin Dunn, Renu Narchal, Karen Mattock, Nida Denson, Alanna Kamp and Rachel Sharples|
|Years:||2020-11-09 - 2022-08-31|