Doctor Jason Reynolds
Jason Reynolds is a Senior Lecturer at Western Sydney University based in the School of Science. His research interests are in the anthropocene and investigating the causes and solutions to human impacts on the environment. In particular Dr Reynolds has expertise in geoscience as it relates to soils, water, and agricultural systems.
In 2017, Dr Reynolds was nominated a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy a personal and institutional commitment to professionalism in learning and teaching in higher education: http://www.heacademy.ac.uk
In 2016, Dr Reynolds contributed to Food Fight a project that highlighted the problems of food security in Sydney: http://foodfight.org.au
Dr Reynolds presents regularly at national and international scientific meetings and has research collaborations with groups in Australia, Canada, the UK and USA. He regularly appears in The Conversation presenting on a diverse range of topics including:
Dr Reynolds leads New Colombo Plan experiences to the Philipines for undergraduate science students in July each year. You can find more information on the WSU page here.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Reynolds.
- PhD University of New South Wales
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (2018 - 2023)
- Soil Science Australia (2015 - 2021)
- Research Impact Award (School of Science and Health) 2019-12-10
- Regenerative agriculture
- Experiential Learning
- Groundwater management
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Life Sciences
|Phone:||(02) 4570 1437|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300814 Water Quality Assessment and Management, 2019
- 300823 Soils, 2019
- 301212 Science of the Anthropocene, 2019
- Fleming, C., Morrison, K., Robba, L., Reynolds, J. and Wright, I. (2021), '14-month water quality investigation of coal mine discharge on two rivers in NSW, Australia : implications for environmental regulation', Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol 232, no 3 .
- Fanna, D., Lima, L., Wei, G., Li, F. and Reynolds, J. (2020), 'A colorimetric chemosensor for quantification of exchangeable Cu2+ in soil', Chemosphere, vol 238 .
- Carroll, R., Reynolds, J. and Wright, I. (2020), 'Geochemical signature of urbanisation in Blue Mountains Upland Swamps', Science of the Total Environment, vol 699 .
- Ross, G., Horn, S., Macdonald, C., Powell, J., Reynolds, J., Ryan, M., Cook, J. and Nielsen, U. (2020), 'Metabarcoding mites : three years of elevated CO2 has no effect on oribatid assemblages in a Eucalyptus woodland', Pedobiologia, vol 81-82 .
- Purdy, K., Reynolds, J. and Wright, I. (2020), 'Potential water pollution from recycled concrete aggregate material', Marine and Freshwater Research, vol 72, no 1 , pp 58 - 65.
- Fanna, D., Lima, L., Craze, A., Trinchi, A., Wei, G., Reynolds, J. and Li, F. (2019), 'Determination of Cu2+ in drinking water using a hydroxyjulolidine-dihydroperimidine colorimetric sensor', Journal of Inclusion Phenomena and Macrocyclic Chemistry, vol 94, no 3-4 , pp 141 - 154.
- Morrison, K., Reynolds, J. and Wright, I. (2019), 'Subsidence fracturing of stream channel from longwall coal mining causing upwelling saline groundwater and metal-enriched contamination of surface waterway', Water, Air and Soil Pollution, vol 230, no 2 .
- Paciuszkiewic, K., Ryan, M., Wright, I. and Reynolds, J. (2019), 'Variations in illicit compound discharged from treated wastewater', Water, vol 11, no 5 .
- Fanna, D., Craze, A., Etchells, I., Bhattacharyya, S., Clegg, J., Moore, E., Marjo, C., Trinchi, A., Wei, G., Reynolds, J. and Li, F. (2019), 'Anion tuning of Zn2+ architectures using a Tris-base salicylic ligand', CrystEngComm, vol 21 , pp 4267 - 4274.
- Wright, I., Khoury, R., Ryan, M., Belmer, N. and Reynolds, J. (2018), 'Laboratory study of impacts of concrete fragment sizes on wetland water chemistry', Urban Water Journal, vol 15, no 1 , pp 61 - 67.
- Astrom, M., Yu, C., Peltola, P., Reynolds, J., Osterholm, P., Nystrand, M., Augustsson, A., Virtasalo, J., Nordmyr, L. and Ojala, A. (2018), 'Sources, transport and sinks of beryllium in a coastal landscape affected by acidic soils', Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol 232 , pp 288 - 302.
- Fanna, D., Lima, L., Craze, A., Trinchi, A., Wuhrer, R., Lindoy, L., Wei, G., Reynolds, J. and Li, F. (2018), 'Ultrasensitive colorimetric and ratiometric detection of Cu2+ : acid-base properties, complexation, and binding studies', ACS Omega, vol 3, no 9 , pp 10471 - 10480.
- Li, L., Craze, A., Fanna, D., Brock, A., Clegg, J., Lindoy, L., Aldrich-Wright, J., Reynolds, J. and Li, F. (2017), 'Synthesis and characterization of two Cu(I) metalloligands based on tetradentate tripodal ligands', Polyhedron, vol 125 , pp 44 - 49.
- Fanna, D., Zhang, Y., Li, L., Karatchevtseva, I., Shepherd, N., Azim, A., Price, J., Aldrich-Wright, J., Reynolds, J. and Li, F. (2016), '3d transition metal complexes with a julolidine-quinoline based ligand : structures, spectroscopy and optical properties', Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers, vol 3, no 2 , pp 286 - 295.
- Fanna, D., Zhang, Y., Salih, A., Reynolds, J. and Li, F. (2016), 'Dinuclear complexes of europium(III) and gadolinium(III) ions with a julolidine-quinoline-based tridentate ligand', Journal of Coordination Chemistry, vol 69, no 11-13 , pp 1883 - 1892.
- Li, L., Saigo, N., Zhang, Y., Fanna, D., Shepherd, N., Clegg, J., Zheng, R., Hayami, S., Lindoy, L., Aldrich-Wright, J., Li, C., Reynolds, J., Harman, D. and Li, F. (2015), 'A large spin-crossover [Fe4L4]8+ tetrahedral cage', Journal of Materials Chemistry C, vol 3, no 30 , pp 7878 - 7882.
- Reichel, F., Clegg, J., Gloe, K., Gloe, K., Weigand, J., Reynolds, J., Li, C., Aldrich-Wright, J., Kepert, C., Lindoy, L., Yao, H. and Li, F. (2014), 'Self-assembly of an imidazolate-bridged FeIII/CuII heterometallic cage', Inorganic Chemistry, vol 53, no 2 , pp 688 - 690.
- Leverett, P., Reynolds, J., Roper, A. and Williams, P. (2012), 'Tripuhyite and schafarzikite : two of the ultimate sinks for antimony in the natural environment', Mineralogical Magazine, vol 76, no 4 , pp 891 - 902.
- Kinsela, A., Denmead, T., Macdonald, B., Mevlille, M., Reynolds, J. and White, I. (2011), 'Field-based measurements of sulfur gas emissions from an agricultural coastal acid sulfate soil, eastern Australia', Soil Research, vol 49, no 6 , pp 471 - 480.
- Lans, E., Hager, S., Leverett, P., Reynolds, J. and Williams, P. (2011), 'Mineralogical note : georgeite from Burraga, New South Wales', Australian Journal of Mineralogy, vol 16 , pp 39 - 40.
- Astrom, M., Nystrand, M., Gustafsson, J., Osterholm, P., Nordmyr, L., Reynolds, J. and Peltola, P. (2010), 'Lanthanoid behaviour in an acidic landscape', Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol 74, no 3 , pp 829 - 845.
- Macdonald, B., Reynolds, J., Kinsela, A., Reilly, R., van Oploo, P., Waite, T. and White, I. (2009), 'Critical coagulation in sulfidic sediments from an east-coast Australian acid sulfate landscape', Applied Clay Science, vol 46, no 2 , pp 166 - 175.
- Quirk, R., Melville, M., Kinsela, A., Reynolds, J., Reynolds, J., Zwemer, T., Hancock, M., MacDonald, B. and White, I. (2009), 'Treatment of drainage from acidic canelands using a constructed wetland', Sugar Tech, vol 11, no 1 , pp 73 - 76.
- Kinsela, A., Reynolds, J. and Melville, M. (2007), 'Agricultural acid sulfate soils: A potential source of volatile sulfur compounds?', Environmental Chemistry, vol 4, no 1 , pp 18 - 25.
- Macdonald, B., White, I., Astrom, M., Keene, A., Melville, M. and Reynolds, J. (2007), 'Discharge of weathering products from acid sulfate soils after a rainfall event, Tweed River, eastern Australia', Applied Geochemistry, vol 22, no 12 , pp 2695 - 2705.
- Carroll, R., Reynolds, J. and Wright, I. (2019), 'Geochemical impact of urban development on fragile freshwater wetlands', International Conference on Water Resource and Environment, Macao, China.
- Wright, I., Morrison, K., Ryan, M., Cusbert, S. and Reynolds, J. (2019), 'Elevated sodium concentrations in Australian drinking water supplies', International Conference on Water Resource and Environment, Macao, China.
- Morrison, K., Reynolds, J., Belmer, N. and Wright, I. (2019), 'Ecological and geochemical impact of an underground colliery waste discharge to a river', International Conference on Water Resource and Environment, Macao, China.
- Reynolds, J., Russom, B. and Ryan, M. (2018), 'The presence of illicit compounds in the Hawkesbury-Nepean river system', Australian Stream Management Conference, Hobart, Tas..
- Carroll, R., Wright, I. and Reynolds, J. (2018), 'Is geochemical contamination from urban development contributing to weed invasions in high conservation value wetlands?', Australian Stream Management Conference, Hobart, Tas..
- Morrison, K., Reynolds, J. and Wright, I. (2018), 'Underground coal mining and subsidence, channel fracturing and water pollution : a five-year investigation', Australian Stream Management Conference, Hobart, Tas..
- Green, B., Carroll, R., Morrison, K., Reynolds, J. and Wright, I. (2018), 'Community triggers EPA action on coal mine river pollution', Australian Stream Management Conference, Hobart, Tas..
- Murphy, T., Fisher, P., Roper, A., Reynolds, J. and Wuhrer, R. (2014), 'X-ray mapping investigations of the monazites from the Mt Weld deposit : compositional variance as an indicator of provenance', Microscopy and Microanalysis Conference, Hartford, Conn..
- Reynolds, J., Astrom, M., Wilson, B. and MacDonald, B. (2010), 'Dissolved inorganic carbon in coastal acid sulfate landscapes', World Congress of Soil Science, Brisbane, Qld..
Jason has research interests in landscape repair and regenerative agriculture. His background has focused on the geochemistry of soils and waters. His higher education research currently involves experiential learning in international student mobility programs and on the sustainability of universities.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Reynolds.
|Title:||Reactive oxygen species in acidified waterways: a new paradigm|
|Western Researchers:||Jason Reynolds|
|Years:||2011-08-16 - 2012-11-30|
|Title:||Incorporation of geologic materials into fatty acid vesicles|
|Western Researchers:||Jason Reynolds|
|Years:||2010-11-02 - 2012-09-30|
Doctor Reynolds is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Through the lens of a scientist: understanding outbound mobiity of Australian undergraduate stem students|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||The Geochemistry of Arsenic in Acid Mine Drainage: The Role of Pharmacosiderite|
|Field of Research:||Earth Sciences|
|Thesis Title:||Metal Directed Supramolecular Assemblies for Optical Materials: Chemosensor Design and Application|
|Field of Research:||Other Health; Chemical Sciences; Soil Science; Hydrology|
|Thesis Title:||Generation and Characterisation of Graphite and Bio-Oil from the Pyrolysis of Woody Biomass|
|Field of Research:||Natural And Physical Sciences|
|Thesis Title:||Silver Nanoparticles: On the Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles, Their Antimicrobial Properties and Longevity|
|Field of Research:||Other Natural And Physical Sciences|