Doctor Dorothea Bowyer
Dorothea is a lecturer at Western Sydney University since 2004 and is passionate about integrating teaching and research so that each stimulates the other in a ‘modern’ classroom. Her research focuses on linking theoretical knowledge to the contemporary nature of the business world.
The scope of her research is to focus on students’ lack of practical hands-on experience throughout their academic careers and the overall call for soft skill development in tertiary education curricula. There is a major gap that needs to be addressed in educating the future accountants and business students as university teaching is about stimulating students’ intellectual growth and the development of individuality and personality. She is a strong believer in seeing students as curriculum partners and supports the view of engaging in partnership pedagogy as the way forward for Higher Education.
The dissertation topic of her PhD (completion 2009) on developing a Stakeholder performance assessment model to assess Sydney Airport Privatisation received recognition by the American Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) Foundation for Applied Research (FAR) for applying qualitative software packages such as Nvivo and Leximancer to her stakeholder data analysis; she received external recognition as Early Career Researcher (post doc). She is very passionate about strategic management accounting and conducts research in the area of airport infrastructure development, Australian regional aviation and supervises PhD students with an interest in assisting SME growth and succession planning.
Jul 2004 - Present: University of Western Sydney (Australia) Lecturer (School of Accounting) & Member of CINIS (Centre for Innovation and Industry Studies)
PhD completion October 2009: Assessing the privatisation impact on Sydney Airport stakeholders & performance measurement at privatised airports
2002 - 2004 Institute Universitaire International Luxembourg (Luxembourg, EU)-Project Manager
2002 - 2003: Deloitte & Touche, Financial Advisory Services (Luxembourg, EU) - Internship 2001- 2002 :
2001- 2002 BOND UNIVERSITY: Masters of International Business (Australia)
1998 - 2000 BOND UNIVERSITY: Bachelor of Commerce (Australia)
1996 - 1998: Mission Viejo High School (California, USA)
1990 - 1996: Adolf Reichwein Gymnasium (Germany)
This information has been contributed by Doctor Bowyer.
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- MIntBus Bond University
- BCom Bond University
- CPA ASA (2006 - 2011)
- AFAANZ (2009 - 2014)
- CPA (2011 - 2018)
- Accounting Education
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Strategic Management Accounting
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3476|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Zakrzewski, D. (2008), 'Assessing Privatized Airport Performance from Stakeholder Viewpoints: A Study of Sydney Airport', Studies in Managerial and Financial Accounting, Performance Measurement and Management Control: Measuring and Rewarding Performance, Emerald Group Publishing Limited 9780762314799.
- Tsiligiris, V. and Bowyer, D. (2021), '[In Press] Exploring the impact of 4IR on skills and personal qualities for future accountants : a proposed conceptual framework for university accounting education', Accounting Education, .
- Rodriguez Serna, L., Nakandala, D. and Bowyer, D. (2021), '[In Press] Why do eligible successors withdraw from the succession process in family businesses? : a social exchange perspective', Journal of Family Business Management, .
- Reaz, M., Bowyer, D., Vitale, C., Mahi, M. and Dahir, A. (2020), 'The nexus of agricultural exports and performance in Malaysia : a dynamic panel data approach', Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, vol 10, no 5 , pp 545 - 556.
- Alam, M., Hassan, M., Bowyer, D. and Reaz, M. (2020), 'The effects of wages and welfare facilities on employee productivity : mediating role of employee work motivation', Australasian Accounting, Business and Finance Journal, vol 14, no 4 , pp 38 - 60.
- Vitale, C., Bowyer, D. and Bayerlein, L. (2020), 'Developing and presenting a framework for meeting industry, student and educator expectations in University degrees', e-Journal of Business Education and Scholarship of Teaching, vol 14, no 1 , pp 57 - 65.
- Bowyer, D., Jones, G., Bowrey, G. and Smark, C. (2020), 'Survival of the fittest? : challenges to regional aviation and regional communities from the privatisation of Australia's airports', Australasian Journal of Regional Studies, vol 26, no 1 , pp 1 - 28.
- Ahmad, S., Ali, N., Jantan, A., Bowyer, D., Campbell, N. and Reaz, M. (2020), 'Organizational effectiveness through transformational leadership and technology innovation : a systematic literature review and future research agenda', Journal of International Business and Management, vol 3, no 4 .
- Bowyer, D. and Vitale, C. (2018), 'What drives university academics to be entrepreneurial?', e-Journal of Social and Behavioural Research in Business, vol 9, no 1 , pp 10 - 36.
- Cull, M. and Bowyer, D. (2017), 'Ethics in financial planning : myth, fact or rhetoric paradox?', e-Journal of Social and Behavioural Research in Business, vol 8, no 2 , pp 56 - 69.
- Bowyer, D. and Chapman, R. (2014), 'Does privatisation drive innovation? : business model innovation through stakeholder viewpoints : the case of Sydney Airport 10 years post-privatisation', Journal of Management and Organisation, vol 20, no 3 , pp 365 - 386.
- Bowyer, D. and Davis, G. (2012), 'How to acquire aircraft? A grounded theory approach to case study research', Qualitative Research in Accounting and Management, vol 9, no 4 , pp 363 - 397.
- Zakrzewski, D. and Juchau, R. (2006), 'Privatization Impact & Social Disclosure:The Case Study of Sydney Airport', Journal of the Asia Pacific Centre for Environmental Accountability, vol 12, no 4 , pp 4 - 13.
- Zakrzewski, D. (2006), 'Airport Privatization - Success or Failure. The Airport Performance Scorecard a Theoretical Assessment Tool', Aerlines Magazine, vol 34 .
- Chapman, R. and Zakrzewski, D. (2008), 'Hold That Plane! Airport Innovation Driven By Privatisation', 9th International CINet, Valencia, Spain.
- Davis, G. and Zakrzewski, D. (2008), 'Aircraft lease-purchase decision making - what influences airline management?', Air Transport Research Society (ATRS) 12th Annual World Conference, Athens Greece.
- Zakrzewski, D. (2008), 'Assessing Airport Privatization through Stakeholder Eyes: a study on Sydney Airport', ATRS Air Transport Research Society 12th World Conference, Athens.
- Zakrzewski, D. and Juchau, R. (2006), 'Have privatized airports become more accountable in their social disclosure to stakeholders', Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and NZ (AFAANZ), Wellington NZ.
- Zakrzewski, D. and Juchau, R. (2006), 'How successful was Sydney Airport Privatization', Air Transport Research Society (ATRS), Nagoya, Japan.
- 2019, 'Returning to Work After Parental Leave: An Appreciative Inquiry. Vice Chancellor's Gender Equality Fund, Final Report 2019', Report
|Title:||Perceptions of privatization and its Impact on Performance - A study of Sydney Airport Stakeholders|
|Western Researchers:||Dorothea Bowyer|
|Years:||2007-07-09 - 2011-06-30|
|Title:||The aircraft lease-purchase decision and financial reporting|
|Western Researchers:||Dorothea Bowyer, Glenda Davis and Roger Juchau|
|Years:||2007-07-16 - 2008-11-30|
|Title:||Modelling the Entrepreneurial Orientation of Australian Accounting Academics|
|Western Researchers:||Dorothea Bowyer and Anne Abraham|
|Years:||2011-09-06 - 2013-12-30|
Doctor Bowyer is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||The Impact of Employee Perceptions of Organizational Work Environment and Job Satisfaction on Innovative Climate|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Business Model of Non-University Providers in NSW, Australia: A Multiple Case Study Analysis.|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Stakeholder Management in Business Succession. A multi-source analysis of the Australian cake and pastry manufacturing industry|
|Field of Research:||Business And Management|
|Thesis Title:||Exploring Political Corporate Social Responsibility A Case Study in Australian Mining|
|Field of Research:||Business Management; Other Management And Commerce|