Doctor David Harman
Associate Lecturer in Chemistry,
My introduction to scientific research occurred in Armidale when I undertook a BSc (Hons) degree with Stephen Glover at the University of New England, investigating the cyclisation reactions of alkoxyiminyl radicals. Following the offer of a scholarship, I moved south to Canberra to study for a PhD with Althel Beckwith within the Research School of Chemistry at the Australian National University. While at the RSC I investigated the mechanism of the rearrangements of various activated intermediates, including free radicals. After completion of doctoral studies, I worked for three months with Alan Watchman from Archaeology and Natural History at ANU. During this time we investigated by HPLC the nature of binders in 6000 year old rock art from Baja California (Mexico), verified by GC-MS dating ages from rock art in New Mexico by exclusion of petroleum residue from paint samples, and established by FT-IR that samples from suspected "touch ups" of rock art in Malta were not modern paint. In 2004 I began postdoctoral studies in mass spectrometry with Stephen Blanksby at the University of Wollongong. After setting up a synthetic organic chemistry laboratory, I prepared a suite of compounds to study the gas phase decarboxylation of aromotic percarboxylate anions. While in Wollongong I modified a state-of-the-art ion trap mass spectrometer in order to allow the study of reactions between charge-tagged radicals and small molecules and to measure their rate constants. These modifications paved the way for the development of ozone induced dissociation of alkenes (OzID), from which came two US patents on lipid structural analysis. After a year working as a mass spectrometer technician at UoW, in 2008 I moved into materials science and managed an analysis laboratory (NMR, MALDI-MS, TGA-MS) at the Intelligent Polymer Research Institute - part of an ARC Centre of Excellence under the direction of Gordon Wallace. While at IPRI I prepared a number of water-dispersable conducting polymers, including some made from biomolecules. Along the way I trained as a high school science teacher.
In January 2013 I started at UWS in the roles of Lecturer and Manager of the Mass Spectrometry Facility.
In December 2015 I commenced in the role of Lecturer in the School of Medicine.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Harman.
- PhD Australian National University
- GDED University of Canberra
- BSc University of New England
- MRACI, CChem (2004)
- ANZSMS (2004)
- electrically conducting polymers
- free radicals and reactive intermediates
- mass spectrometry
- physical organic chemistry
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Physical Sciences
- Australian and New Zealand Society for Mass Spectrometry
- Laboratory User Group, School of Medicine
- Emergency Warden, School of Medicine
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3212
(02) 4620 3212
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- 300803 Essential Chemistry 2
- 300808 Introductory Chemistry
- 300832 Analytical Chemistry
- 300892 Medical Science Project
- 300899 Inorganic Chemistry
- 401266 Experimental Design and Analysis PG A
- 401267 Experimental Design and Analysis PG B
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300803 Essential Chemistry 2, 2020
- 300808 Introductory Chemistry, 2020
- 300811 Scientific Literacy, 2020
- 300892 Medical Science Project, 2015
- 300892 Medical Science Project, 2020
- 300910 Advanced Science Project C, 2015
- 300910 Advanced Science Project C, 2017
- 300910 Advanced Science Project C, 2019
- 300910 Advanced Science Project C, 2020
- 300924 Science Research Project, 2017
- 300924 Science Research Project, 2019
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2017
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2018
- 400861 Foundations of Medicine 1, 2019
- 400862 Foundations of Medicine 2, 2018
- 400862 Foundations of Medicine 2, 2019
- 401172 Honours Project (Medicine), 2015
- 401172 Honours Project (Medicine), 2016
- 401172 Honours Project (Medicine), 2018
- 800176 Internship and Community Engagement (PG), 2017
- Umala Dewi, C., Mason, M., Cohen-Hyams, T., Killingsworth, M., Harman, D., Gnanasambandapillai, V., Liyanage, L. and O'Connor, M. (2021), 'A simplified method for producing human lens epithelial cells and light-focusing micro-lenses from pluripotent stem cells', Experimental Eye Research, vol 202 .
- Ang, D., Kelso, C., Beck, J., Ralph, S., Harman, D. and Aldrich-Wright, J. (2020), 'A study of Pt(II)-phenanthroline complex interactions with double-stranded and G-quadruplex DNA by ESI-MS, circular dichroism, and computational docking', Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, vol 25 , pp 429 - 440.
- Dankers, C., Tadros, J., Harman, D., Aldrich-Wright, J., Nguyen, T. and Gordon, C. (2020), 'Immobilized carbodiimide assisted flow combinatorial protocol to facilitate amide coupling and lactamization', ACS Combinatorial Science, vol 22, no 5 , pp 255 - 267.
- Zhou, J., Shrestha, P., Qiu, Z., Harman, D., Teoh, W., Al-Sohaily, S., Liem, H., Turner, I. and Ho, V. (2020), 'Distinct microbiota dysbiosis in patients with non-erosive reflux disease and esophageal adenocarcinoma', Journal of Clinical Medicine, vol 9, no 7 .
- Zhang, Y., Harman, D., Avdeev, M. and Karatchevtseva, I. (2019), 'Cu(II) ion directed self-assembly of a Y8/Cu6 heterometallic coordination cage via an Y(III) metalloligand', Inorganica Chimica Acta, vol 484 , pp 521 - 526.
- Dhananjayan, K., Irrgang, F., Raju, R., Harman, D., Moran, C., Srikanth, V. and Muench, G. (2019), 'Determination of glyoxal and methylglyoxal in serum by UHPLC coupled with fluoresecence detection', Analytical Biochemistry, vol 573 , pp 51 - 66.
- Spare, L., Menti, M., Harman, D., Aldrich-Wright, J. and Gordon, C. (2019), 'A continuous flow protocol to generate, regenerate, load, and recycle chlorotrityl functionalised resins', Reaction Chemistry and Engineering, vol 4, no 7 , pp 1309 - 1317.
- Tayebi, M., El-Hage, C., Pinczowski, P., Whiteley, P., David, M., Li, Q., Varghese, S., Mikhael, M., Habiba, U., Harman, D., Tatarczuch, L., Bogeski, M., Birchall, I., Ferguson, K., Walker, L., Masters, C. and Summers, B. (2019), 'Plant poisoning leads to alpha-synucleinopathy and neuromelanopathy in kangaroos', Scientific Reports, vol 9, no 1 .
- Murphy, P., Kabir, M., Srivastava, T., Mason, M., Umala Dewi, C., Lim, S., Yang, A., Djordjevic, D., Killingsworth, M., Ho, J., Harman, D. and O'Connor, M. (2018), 'Light-focusing human micro-lenses generated from pluripotent stem cells model lens development and drug-induced cataract in vitro', Development (Cambridge), vol 145, no 1 .
- Spare, L., Harman, D., Aldrich-Wright, J., Nguyen, T. and Gordon, C. (2018), 'Chemoselective flow hydrogenation approaches to diversify the cytotoxic tetrahydroepoxyisoindole carboxamide scaffold', Advanced Synthesis and Catalysis, vol 360, no 6 , pp 1209 - 1217.
- Spare, L., Laude, V., Harman, D., Aldrich-Wright, J. and Gordon, C. (2018), 'An optimised approach for continuous-flow solid-phase peptide synthesis utilising a rudimentary flow reactor', Reaction Chemistry and Engineering, vol 3, no 6 , pp 875 - 882.
- Spare, L., Falsetta, P., Gilbert, J., Harman, D., Baker, M., Li, F., McCluskey, A., Clegg, J., Sakoff, J., Aldrich-Wright, J. and Gordon, C. (2017), 'Cytotoxicity of a series of norcantharidin-inspired tetrahydroepoxyisoindole carboxamides', ChemMedChem, vol 12, no 2 , pp 130 - 145.
- Perez Fernandez, V., Harman, D., Morley, J. and Cameron, M. (2017), 'Optimized method to quantify dopamine turnover in the mammalian retina', Analytical Chemistry, vol 89, no 22 , pp 12276 - 12283.
- Li, L., Zhang, Y., Avdeev, M., Lindoy, L., Harman, D., Zheng, R., Cheng, Z., Aldrich-Wright, J. and Li, F. (2016), 'Self-assembly of a unique 3d/4f heterometallic square prismatic box-like coordination cage', Dalton Transactions, vol 45, no 23 , pp 9407 - 9411.
- Harman, D., Gorkin, R., Stevens, L., Thompson, B., Wagner, K., Weng, B., Chung, J., in het Panhuis, M. and Wallace, G. (2015), 'Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):dextran sulfate (PEDOT:DS) : a highly processable conductive organic biopolymer', Acta Biomaterialia, vol 14, no 1 , pp 33 - 42.
- Gunawardena, D., Karunaweera, N., Lee, S., van der Kooy, F., Harman, D., Raju, R., Bennett, L., Gyengesi, E., Sucher, N. and Muench, G. (2015), 'Anti-inflammatory activity of cinnamon (C. zeylanicum and C. cassia) extracts - identification of e-cinnamaldehyde and o-methoxy cinnamaldehyde as the most potent bioactive compounds', Food and Function, vol 6, no 3 , pp 910 - 919.
- Fanna, D., Smith, A., Zhang, Y., Li, L., Shepherd, N., Harman, D. and Li, F. (2015), 'Synthesis and characterisation of two new tripodal metalloligands incorporating zinc(II)', Journal of Inclusion Phenomena and Macrocyclic Chemistry, vol 82, no 1-2 , pp 173 - 178.
- Li, L., Saigo, N., Zhang, Y., Fanna, D., Shepherd, N., Clegg, J., Zheng, R., Hayami, S., Lindoy, L., Aldrich-Wright, J., Li, C., Reynolds, J., Harman, D. and Li, F. (2015), 'A large spin-crossover [Fe4L4]8+ tetrahedral cage', Journal of Materials Chemistry C, vol 3, no 30 , pp 7878 - 7882.
- Yao, M., Xie, C., Kiang, M., Teng, Y., Harman, D., Tiffen, J., Wang, Q., Sved, P., Bao, S., Witting, P., Holst, J. and Dong, Q. (2015), 'Targeting of cytosolic phospholipase A2a impedes cell cycle re-entry of quiescent prostate cancer cells', Oncotarget, vol 6, no 33 , pp 34458 - 34474.
- Trinh, T., Hizartzidis, L., Lin, A., Harman, D., McCluskey, A. and Gordon, C. (2014), 'An efficient continuous flow approach to furnish furan-based biaryls', Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, vol 12, no 47 , pp 9562 - 9571.
- Wagner, M., O'Connell, C., Harman, D., Sullivan, R., Ivaska, A., Higgins, M. and Wallace, G. (2013), 'Synthesis and optimization of PEDOT:PSS based ink for printing nanoarrays using Dip-Pen Nanolithography', Synthetic Metals, vol 181 , pp 64 - 71.
- Kirk, B., Harman, D., Kenttamaa, H., Trevitt, A. and Blanksby, S. (2012), 'Isolation and characterization of charge-tagged phenylperoxyl radicals in the gas phase : direct evidence for products and pathways in low temperature benzene oxidation', Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol 14, no 48 , pp 16719 - 16730.
- Kirk, B., Harman, D. and Blanksby, S. (2010), 'Direct observation of the gas phase reaction of cyclohexyl radical with dioxygen using a distonic radical ion approach', Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol 114, no 3 , pp 1446 - 1456.
- Talib, J., Harman, D., Dillon, C., Aldrich-Wright, J., Beck, J. and Ralph, S. (2009), 'Does the metal influence non-covalent binding of complexes to DNA', Dalton Transactions, vol 38, no 3 , pp 504 - 513.
- Thomas, M., Mitchell, T., Harman, D., Deeley, J., Nealon, J. and Blanksby, S. (2008), 'Ozone induced dissociation : elucidation of double bond position within mass-selected lipid ions', Analytical Chemistry, vol 80, no 1 , pp 303 - 311.
- Harman, D. and Blanksby, S. (2007), 'Investigation of the gas phase reactivity of the 1-adamantyl radical using a distonic radical anion approach', Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, vol 5, no 21 , pp 3495 - 3503.
- Thomas, M., Mitchell, T., Harman, D., Deeley, J., Murphy, R. and Blanksby, S. (2007), 'Elucidation of double bond position in unsaturated lipids by ozone electrospray ionization mass spectrometry', Analytical Chemistry, vol 79, no 13 , pp 5013 - 5022.
- Harman, D. and Blanksby, S. (2006), 'Trapping of a tert-adamantyl peroxyl radical in the gas phase', Chemical Communications, , no 8 , pp 859 - 861.
- Harman, D., Ramachandran, A., Gracanin, M. and Blanksby, S. (2006), 'The loss of carbon dioxide from activated perbenzoate anions in the gas phase : unimolecular rearrangement via epoxidation of the benzene ring', Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol 71, no 21 , pp 7996 - 8005.
- Fernando, M., O'Loughlin, A. and Harman, D. (2018), 'Development of an inexpensive and non-invasive mass spectrometry based diagnostic test for early stage atherosclerosis', ACT Mass Spectrometry Symposium, Australian National University.
- Stevens, L., Harman, D., Gilmore, K., in het Panhius, M. and Wallace, G. (2015), 'A comparison of chemical and electrochemical synthesis of PEDOT : dextran sulphate for bio-applications', Materials Research Society. Fall Meeting, Boston, Mass..
My research is focussed in these areas:
Anticancer drug mechanism of action
Electrically conductive polymers
This information has been contributed by Doctor Harman.
|Title:||In vivo evaluation of 'Meriva' curcumin phospholipid as anti-inflammatory drug in a mouse model of chronic neuroinflammation|
|Western Researchers:||Gerald Muench, Erika Gyengesi and David Harman|
|Years:||2016-03-31 - 2020-06-30|
Doctor Harman is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Use of functional genomics to define molecular mechanisms that contribute to human lens regeneration.|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Encapsulated Curcumin in Nanoparticles - Determination of Curcumin and its Metabolites in Mice with Brain Infammation|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Encapsulated curcumin in nanoparticles - determination of curcumin and its metabolites in mice with brain inflammation|
|Field of Research:|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Treatment of neuroinflammation in Alzheimer's disease by anti-inflammatory compounds of Australian Native Plants from the tropical rainforest|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||In vivo evaluation of ?Meriva? curcumin, and apigenin as anti-inflammatory drugs in a mouse model of chronic neuroinflammation|
|Field of Research:||Medical Science; Other Natural And Physical Sciences|
|Thesis Title:||The Effect of Permethrin Cream on Staphylococcal Infections and Studies on Methicillin Sensitive and Resistant Strains of Staphylococcus Aureus|
|Field of Research:||Other Health|
|Title:||The 12 Healthiest Teas on Grocery Store Shelves|
|Description:||Links cinnamon tea product to our 2015 paper demonstrating antiinflammatory properties|
|Title:||Induced Stem Cells direct readers to our 2018 microlenses paper|
|Description:||Induced Stem Cells Facebook site description and link|
|Title:||Recommendation of 2018 microlenses paper in Faculty Opinions|
|Description:||American academic recommends article|
|Title:||Ingestion of tryptamine-alkaloid-rich phalaris plants causes a disorder called Phalaris staggers|
|Description:||Science of Parkinsons (5000 followers) tweets about 2019 Parkinson's article|
|Title:||Pt(II) complex interactions with Q-DNA|
|Description:||Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry tweeting about a 2020 publication|
|Title:||7 Reasons Why People Secretly Love Golden Milk Latte Amidst Corona Pandemic|
|Description:||Newspaper article which links to 2015 paper on bioactive compounds in cinnamon|
|Title:||Stem cells used to grow eye lenses could help treat young and old with cataracts|
|Description:||Possibility that new human lenses can be grown from a person's own stem cells|