Doctor Christina Curry
Dr Christina Curry is an experienced leader with a demonstrated track record in governance, education and people development. With 20 years’ experience in the education sector Christina has developed and refined her skills in education policy, professional development and community engagement. Christina is currently Academic Director of Western Sydney University International College and a senior lecturer in Health & Physical Education within schools and the broader community. Previously Christina was the Director of Secondary Education at Western Sydney University. Prior to this appointment she worked as a Head of Department in a secondary school for the NSW Department of Education. Christina completed a PhD in 2013, and regularly presents workshops, having also been an invited speaker in Australia, NZ, Macau and the UK.
Christina has extensive experience in governance from her roles as Chair of Bayside Women’s Shelter, non-executive director of ClubsNSW and The Randwick Club Group.
Christina has a strong understanding of community engagement and advocating for better services through her role as an elected local government councillor. As a Patron of a women and children’s centre Christina is a strong advocate for women and diversity and is often invited to present keynotes on diversity.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Curry.
- MEd University of Sydney
- Teac Department of School Education NSW
- VC Learning and Teaching Award, Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning 2014-03-01
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Secondary Education
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6550|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 102605 Professional Practice Community Engagement, 2020
- A1427 Physical Education Curriculum 1, 2018
- Light, R. and Curry, C. (2021), 'Game Sense for Teaching and Coaching: International Perspectives', : Routledge 9780367674991.
Chapters in Books
- Jarrett, K., Waddell, K., Curry, C., Smith, T., MacGregor, G. and Hawkes, J. (2021), 'Leadership in the public and third sectors', The Practice of Leadership in Higher Education: Real-World Perspectives on Becoming, Being and Leaving, Routledge 9780367423650.
- Curry, C. (2021), 'Providing positive experiences of learning in girls' soccer (football)', Applied Positive Pedagogy in Sport Coaching: International Cases, Routledge 9780367489816.
- Curry, C. and Light, R. (2021), 'Implementing TGfU in an Australian independent school : an affective journey', Game Sense for Teaching and Coaching: International Perspectives, Routledge 9780367674991.
- Curry, C. and Pill, S. (2021), 'Concluding thoughts : Game Sense for teaching and coaching globally', Game Sense for Teaching and Coaching: International Perspectives, Routledge 9780367674991.
- Curry, C. (2019), 'Teaching frisbee to pre-service HPE teachers', Positive Pedagogy for Sport Coaching, Routledge 9780367218201.
- Curry, C. and Light, R. (2014), 'The influence of school context on the implementation of TGfU across a secondary school physical education department', Contemporary Developments in Games Teaching, Routledge 9780415821193.
- Curry, C. and Knijnik, J. (2013), 'Physical education and the after-school sports program in Australian schools : barriers and challenges for the 21st century', Global Perspectives on Physical Education and After-School Sport Programs, University Press of America 9780761861171.
- Curry, C. (2013), 'Oztag', Game Sense: Pedagogy for Performance, Participation and Enjoyment, Routledge 9780415532877.
- Curry, C. (2013), 'Ultimate frisbee', Game Sense: Pedagogy for Performance, Participation and Enjoyment, Routledge 9780415532877.
- Zammit, K. and Curry, C. (2013), 'Literacy and health and physical education working together', Literacy Across the Curriculum, Common Ground 9781612291420.
- Mann, J., Gray, T., Truong, S., Brymer, E., Passy, R., Ho, S., Sahlberg, P., Ward, K., Bentsen, P., Curry, C. and Cowper, R. (2022), 'Getting out of the classroom and into nature : a systematic review of nature-specific outdoor learning on school children's learning and development', Frontiers in Public Health, vol 10 .
- Curry, C., Ferfolja, T., Holmes, K., Parry, K., Sherry, M. and Armour, M. (2022), '[In Press] Menstrual health education in Australian schools', Curriculum Studies in Health and Physical Education, .
- Armour, M., Hyman, M., Al-Dabbas, M., Parry, K., Ferfolja, T., Curry, C., MacMillan, F., Smith, C. and Holmes, K. (2021), 'Menstrual health literacy and management strategies in young women in Australia : a national online survey of young women aged 13-25 years', Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, vol 34, no 2 , pp 135 - 143.
- Holmes, K., Curry, C., Sherry, S., Ferfolja, T., Parry, K., Smith, C., Hyman, M. and Armour, M. (2021), 'Adolescent menstrual health literacy in low, middle and high-income countries : a narrative review', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol 18, no 5 .
- Abraham, J., Ferfolja, T., Sickel, A., Power, A., Curry, C., Fraser, D. and Mackay, K. (2021), 'Development and validation of a scale to explore pre-service teachers' sense of preparedness, engagement and self-efficacy in classroom teaching', Australian Journal of Teacher Education, vol 46, no 1 , pp 1 - 23.
- Cole, D., Parada, R., Gray, T. and Curry, C. (2020), 'Learning attribution in the Duke of Edinburgh's International Award (DoEIA)', Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning, vol 20, no 1 , pp 49 - 67.
- Yager, Z., Gray, T., Curry, C. and McLean, S. (2020), 'Pre-service teachers' gendered attitudes towards role modelling in health and physical education', Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, vol 25, no 1 , pp 67 - 78.
- Armour, M., Ferfolja, T., Curry, C., Hyman, M., Parry, K., Chalmers, J., Smith, C., MacMillan, F. and Holmes, K. (2020), 'The prevalence and educational impact of pelvic and menstrual pain in Australia : a national online survey of 4202 young women aged 13-25 years', Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, vol 33, no 5 , pp 511 - 518.
- Armour, M., Parry, K., Manohar, N., Holmes, K., Ferfolja, T., Curry, C., MacMillan, F. and Smith, C. (2019), 'The prevalence and academic impact of dysmenorrhea in 21,573 young women : a systematic review and meta-analysis', Journal of Women's Health, vol 28, no 8 , pp 1161 - 1171.
- Armour, M., Parry, K., Al-Dabbas, M., Curry, C., Holmes, K., MacMillan, F., Ferfolja, T. and Smith, C. (2019), 'Self-care strategies and sources of knowledge on menstruation in 12,526 young women with dysmenorrhea : a systematic review and meta-analysis', PLoS One, vol 14, no 7 .
- Evans, J. and Curry, C. (2018), 'Implementing sport, physical activity and physical education in New South Wales, Australia, primary schools', Agora for Physical Education and Sports, vol 20, no 1 , pp 27 - 45.
- Yager, Z., Gray, T., Curry, C. and McLean, S. (2017), 'Body dissatisfaction, excessive exercise, and weight change strategies used by first-year undergraduate students : comparing health and physical education and other education students', Journal of Eating Disorders, vol 5, no 1 .
- Knijnik, J. and Curry, C. (2014), '"I know PE is important but I don't feel confident teaching it" : Australian primary pre-service teachers' feelings and thoughts about teaching physical education', International Journal of Sport Studies, vol 4, no 3 , pp 289 - 296.
- Light, R., Curry, C. and Mooney, A. (2014), 'Game sense as a model for delivering quality teaching in physical education', Asia-Pacific Journal of Health, Sport and Physical Education, vol 5, no 1 , pp 67 - 81.
- Light, R. and Curry, C. (2009), 'Children's reasons for joining sport clubs and staying in them : a case study of a Sydney soccer club', Healthy Lifestyles Journal, vol 56, no 1 , pp 23 - 27.
- Attard, C. and Curry, C. (2012), 'Exploring the use of iPads to engage young students with mathematics', Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia. Conference, Singapore.
- Curry, C. and Light, R. (2007), 'Addressing the NSW Quality Teaching Framework in physical education : is game sense the answer?', Asia Pacific Conference on Teaching Sport and Physical Education for Understanding, The University of Sydney.
- 2016, 'Research into Outdoor Education Learner Attribution Theory: The Effects Of the Duke of Edinburgh's International Award on Learning', Report
Health Education; Physical Education; Sport coaching; Physical activity
This information has been contributed by Doctor Curry.
|Title:||Improving the Drinking Culture in Australia|
|Western Researchers:||Kathryn Holmes, Brenda Dobia and Christina Curry|
|Years:||2018-12-18 - 2022-12-31|
|Title:||Writing in Secondary Academic Partner|
|Western Researchers:||Kay Carroll, Christina Curry, Erin Mackenzie and Rachael Jacobs|
|Years:||2021-06-01 - 2022-10-12|
|Title:||School teachers and parents/carers' understanding of endometriosis and pelvic pain|
|Western Researchers:||Christina Curry, Kathryn Holmes, Tania Ferfolja and Mike Armour|
|Years:||2021-11-15 - 2022-11-29|
|Title:||Development and piloting of a menstrual health literacy program for women aged under 25|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour, Kathryn Holmes, Caroline Smith, Freya Macmillan, Tania Ferfolja and Christina Curry|
|Years:||2018-01-15 - 2019-04-30|
|Title:||The collaborative development of EMI pedagogy for academics of Huaqiao University - Phase 3|
|Western Researchers:||Jinghe Han and Christina Curry|
|Years:||2020-07-01 - 2022-08-30|
|Thesis Title:||An Exploration of Student Centered Teaching Pedagogy to Making Chinese Learnable: A Teacher Action Research Project|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Oral corrective feedback: An exploration of teachers', students' perceptions and teachers' actual practices- A case study in Vietnamese Higher Education|
|Field of Research:||English As A Second Language Teaching|
|Thesis Title:||Train for War Adapt for Peace: A Case Study of the Implications of Risk Management on Static Line Parachute Training in the ADF|
|Field of Research:||Other Education|
|Thesis Title:||Learner Autonomy in Higher Education|
|Field of Research:|