Doctor Carolyn Ee
Senior Research Fellow - Jacka Foundation Integrative Medicine Program,
NICM Health Research Institute
Carolyn has dual qualifications in Western and Chinese medicine, and postgraduate research experience in acupuncture for women’s health. Her doctorate examined the efficacy of acupuncture for menopausal hot flushes. She received a Project Grant from the National Health and Medical Research Council for this large randomised controlled trial, which was published in Annals of Internal Medicine in 2016.
Carolyn is passionate about the translation of safe, well-evidenced integrative therapies into conventional practice. She has been involved in delivering lectures and workshops on acupuncture and complementary medicine to health professionals and medical students, and in November 2016 was appointed to lead the Jacka Foundation Integrative Medicine Program at NICM, which aims to further the translation of integrative medicine. As part of this new role, Carolyn is responsible for developing a model of care for a new academic integrative health clinic which will combine acupuncture, Chinese medicine, mind-body therapies, and conventional health care. She is a Reference Group Member on the Chinese Medicine Board of Australia. Her research interests are in acupuncture clinical trials, particularly in women’s health, PCOS, insulin resistance and breast cancer, as well as translational research in complementary medicine more broadly.
Underpinning Carolyn's research expertise is a background of significant clinical experience as an integrative GP and acupuncturist. She continues to practise one day a week as a GP in Mosman, Sydney. Carolyn also served as an examiner for the RACGP specialist entry exams for over ten years, and on the Editorial Board of the Australian Family Physician. She is Chair of the RACGP Integrative Medicine Working Group..
PhD, University of Melbourne, 2016
MBBS, University of Western Australia, 1998
2010 Masters of Medicine by Research, University of Melbourne, Dept of General Practice "Pilot study of an approach to undertake a methodologically rigorous trial of acupuncture"
207 Graduate Certificate of Medical Acupuncture, Monash University
2007 Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
2004 Bachelor of Applied Science with Distinction – Chinese Medicine/Human Biology, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
This information has been contributed by Doctor Ee.
- MMed University of Melbourne
- GradCertMedAcc Monash University
- BAppSc Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- MBBS University of Western Australia
- Breast Cancer
- Insulin Resistance
- Integrative Healthcare
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Translation Research
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- NICM Health Research Institute
|Phone:||(02) 9685 4730|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Armour, M., Ee, C. and Steiner, G. (2018), 'Randomized controlled trials', Handbook of Research Methods in Health Social Sciences, Springer 9789811052507.
- Lim, S., Smith, C., Costello, M., MacMillan, F., Moran, L., Teede, H. and Ee, C. (2021), 'Health literacy needs in weight management of women with polycystic ovary syndrome', Health Promotion Journal of Australia, vol 32, no S1 , pp 41 - 48.
- Yang, G., Sabag, A., Hao, W., Zhang, L., Jia, M., Dai, N., Zhang, H., Ayati, Z., Cheng, Y., Zhang, C., Zhang, X., Bu, F., Wen, M., Zhou, X., Liu, J., Wayne, P., Ee, C., Chang, D., Kiat, H., Hunter, J. and Bensoussan, A. (2021), 'Tai Chi for health and well-being : a bibliometric analysis of published clinical studies between 2010 and 2020', Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol 60 .
- Zheng, L., Godbee, K., Steiner, G., Daylight, G., Ee, C., Hill, T., Hohenberg, M., Lautenschlager, N., McDonald, K., Pond, D., Radford, K., Anstey, K. and Peters, R. (2021), 'Dementia risk reduction in practice : the knowledge, opinions and perspectives of Australian healthcare providers', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol 27, no 2 , pp 136 - 142.
- Armour, M., Al-Dabbas, M., Ee, C., Smith, C., Ussher, J., Arentz, S., Lawson, K. and Abbott, J. (2021), 'The effectiveness of a modified Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan formulation (Gynoclear TM) for the treatment of endometriosis : a study protocol for a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomised controlled trial', Trials, vol 22 .
- Sarris, J., Byrne, G., Oliver, G., Cribb, L., Blair-West, S., Castle, D., Dean, O., Camfield, D., Brakoulias, V., Bousman, C., Dowling, N., Ee, C., Murphy, J., Menon, R., Berk, M., Chamoli, S., Boschen, M. and Ng, C. (2021), '[In Press] Treatment of refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder with nutraceuticals (TRON) : a 20-week, open label pilot study', CNS Spectrums, .
- Ee, C., Templeman, K., Forth, A., Kotsirilos, V., Singleton, G., Deed, G., Dubois, S., Pirotta, M., Harnett, J., Myers, S. and Hunter, J. (2021), 'Integrative medicine in general practice in Australia : a mixed-methods study exploring education pathways and training needs', Global Advances in Health and Medicine, vol 10 , pp 1 - 15.
- Ee, C., Levett, K., Smith, C., Armour, M., Dahlen, H., Chopra, P., Maroun, P., Rao, V., Avard, N., Grant, S., Keedle, H., Armour, S., Arentz, S., Cave, A., Sutcliffe, K. and Templeman, K. (2021), '[In Press] Complementary medicines and therapies in clinical guidelines on pregnancy care : a systematic review', Women and Birth, .
- Boyages, J., Cave, A., Naidoo, D. and Ee, C. (2021), '[In Press] Weight gain and lymphedema after breast cancer treatment : avoiding the catch-22?', Lymphatic Research and Biology, .
- Ee, C., Armour, M., Piya, M., McMorrow, R., Al-Kanini, I. and Sabag, A. (2021), 'Mindfulness-based interventions for adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus [Intervention Protocol]', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2021, no 12 .
- Armour, M., Semprini, A., Ee, C., MacCullagh, L. and Shortt, N. (2020), 'Efficacy of a topical herbal and mineral formulation (Dynamiclear) for the treatment of herpes simplex labialis in the community setting : study protocol for a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled trial', BMJ Open, vol 10 .
- Steiner, G., Ee, C., Dubois, S., MacMillan, F., George, E., McBride, K., Karamacoska, D., McDonald, K., Harley, A., Abramov, G., Andrews-Marney, E., Cave, A. and Hohenberg, M. (2020), '"We need a one-stop-shop" : co-creating the model of care for a multidisciplinary memory clinic with community members, GPs, aged care workers, service providers, and policy-makers', BMC Geriatrics, vol 20, no 1 .
- Ee, C., Templeman, K., Grant, S., Ableson, N., de Manincor, M. and Hunter, J. (2020), 'Informing the model of care for an academic integrative healthcare centre : a qualitative study exploring healthcare consumer perspectives', BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies, vol 20, no 1 .
- Ee, C., Smith, C., Costello, M., Moran, L., Steiner, G., Stepto, N., Cave, A., Albrehee, A. and Teede, H. (2020), 'Acupuncture or auricular electro-acupuncture as adjuncts to lifestyle interventions for weight management in PCOS : protocol for a randomised controlled feasibility study', Pilot and Feasibility Studies, vol 6 .
- Ee, C., Cave, A., Naidoo, D., Bilinski, K. and Boyages, J. (2020), 'Weight before and after a diagnosis of breast cancer or ductal carcinoma in situ : a national Australian survey', BMC Cancer, vol 20 .
- Hunter, J., Grant, S., Ee, C. and Templeman, K. (2020), 'What do medical specialists think about a proposed academic, integrative health centre in Australia? : a qualitative study', Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol 53 .
- Ee, C., Cave, A., Naidoo, D., Bilinski, K. and Boyages, J. (2020), 'Weight management barriers and facilitators after breast cancer in Australian women : a national survey', BMC Women's Health, vol 20, no 1 .
- Ee, C., Courten, B., Avard, N., de Manincor, M., Al-Dabbas, M., Hao, J., McBride, K., Dubois, S., White, R., Fleming, C., Egger, G., Blair, A., Stevens, J., MacMillan, F., Deed, G., Grant, S., Templeman, K. and Chang, D. (2020), 'Shared medical appointments and mindfulness for Type 2 diabetes : a mixed-methods feasibility study', Frontiers in Endocrinology, vol 11 .
- Ee, C., Smith, C., Moran, L., MacMillan, F., Costello, M., Baylock, B. and Teede, H. (2020), '"The whole package deal" : experiences of overweight/obese women living with polycystic ovary syndrome', BMC Women's Health, vol 20, no 1 .
- Fraison, E., Kostova, E., Moran, L., Bilal, S., Ee, C., Venetis, C. and Costello, M. (2020), 'Metformin versus the combined oral contraceptive pill for hirsutism, acne, and menstrual pattern in polycystic ovary syndrome (Intervention Review)', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2020, no 8 .
- Ee, C., Lake, J., Firth, J., Hargraves, F., de Manincor, M., Meade, T., Marx, W. and Sarris, J. (2020), 'An integrative collaborative care model for people with mental illness and physical comorbidities', International Journal of Mental Health Systems, vol 14 .
- Ee, C., Templeman, K., Grant, S., Avard, N., de Manincor, M., Reath, J. and Hunter, J. (2020), 'Informing the model of care for an Academic Integrative Health Care Center : a qualitative study of primary care stakeholder views', Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol 26, no 4 , pp 300 - 315.
- Sarris, J., Byrne, G., Cribb, L., Oliver, G., Murphy, J., Macdonald, P., Nazareth, S., Karamacoska, D., Galea, S., Short, A., Ee, C., Birling, Y., Menon, R. and Ng, C. (2019), 'L-theanine in the adjunctive treatment of generalized anxiety disorder : a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial', Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol 110 , pp 31 - 37.
- Firth, J., Veronese, N., Cotter, J., Shivappa, N., Hebert, J., Ee, C., Smith, L., Stubbs, B., Jackson, S. and Sarris, J. (2019), 'What is the role of dietary inflammation in severe mental illness? : a review of observational and experimental findings', Frontiers in Psychiatry, vol 10 .
- Armour, M., Ee, C., Naidoo, D., Ayati, Z., Chalmers, J., Steel, K., de Manincor, M. and Delshad, E. (2019), 'Exercise for dysmenorrhoea (Intervention Review)', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2019, no 9 .
- Lim, S., Smith, C., Costello, M., MacMillan, F., Moran, L. and Ee, C. (2019), 'Barriers and facilitators to weight management in overweight and obese women living in Australia with PCOS : a qualitative study', BMC Endocrine Disorders, vol 19 .
- Ee, C., Cave, A., Naidoo, D. and Boyages, J. (2019), 'Prevalence of and attitudes towards complementary therapy use for weight after breast cancer in Australia : a national survey', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 19, no 1 .
- Ormsby, S., Dahlen, H., Ee, C., Keedle, H. and Smith, C. (2018), ''Acupuncture for antenatal depression : it's worth giving it a go' : a qualitative study', Women and Birth, vol 31, no 3 , pp 166 - 176.
- Smith, C., Levett, K., Collins, C., Dahlen, H., Ee, C. and Suganuma, M. (2018), 'Massage, reflexology and other manual methods for pain management in labour [Intervention Review]', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2018, no 3 .
- Steiner, G., Dubois, S., Ee, C., McBride, K., George, E., MacMillan, F., Karamacoska, D., Singh, K., Harley, A., McDonald, K., Derrett, A., Chow, J., Kohler, F. and Hohenberg, M. (2018), 'Co-creating a model of care for a new multidisciplinary memory clinic in South Western Sydney', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 37, no Suppl. S2 , pp 77 - 77.
- Oh, B., Yeung, A., Klein, P., Larkey, L., Ee, C., Zaslawski, C., Knobf, T., Payne, P., Stener-Victorin, E., Lee, R., Choi, W., Chun, M., Bonucci, M., Lang, H., Pavlakis, N., Boyle, F., Clarke, S., Back, M., Yang, P., Wei, Y., Guo, X., Weng, C., Irwin, M., Elfiky, A. and Rosenthal, D. (2018), 'Accreditation standard guideline initiative for Tai Chi and Qigong instructors and training institutions', Medicines, vol 5, no 2 .
- Ee, C., Smith, C., Costello, M., MacMillan, F., Moran, L., Baylock, B. and Teede, H. (2018), 'Feasibility and acceptability of a proposed trial of acupuncture as an adjunct to lifestyle interventions for weight loss in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome : a qualitative study', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 18 .
- Armour, M., Ee, C., Hao, J., Wilson, T., Yao, S. and Smith, C. (2018), 'Acupuncture and acupressure for premenstrual syndrome', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 8 .
- Ee, C., French, S., Xue, C., Pirotta, M. and Teede, H. (2017), 'Acupuncture for menopausal hot flashes : clinical evidence update and its relevance to decision making', Menopause, vol 24, no 8 , pp 980 - 987.
- Ee, C., Thuraisingam, S., Pirotta, M., French, S., Xue, C. and Teede, H. (2017), 'Expectancy after the first treatment and response to acupuncture for menopausal hot flashes', PLoS One, vol 12, no 10 .
- Smith, C., Armour, M. and Ee, C. (2016), 'Complementary therapies and medicines and reproductive medicine', Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, vol 34, no 2 , pp 67 - 73.
- Ee, C., Xue, C., Chondros, P., Myers, S., French, S., Teede, H. and Pirotta, M. (2016), 'Acupuncture for menopausal hot flashes : a randomized trial', Annals of Internal Medicine, vol 164, no 3 , pp 146 - 154.
- Ee, C. (2014), 'Approach to low back pain : acupuncture', Australian Family Physician, vol 43, no 5 , pp 287 - 288.
- Pirotta, M., Ee, C., Teede, H., Chondros, P., French, S., Myers, S. and Xue, C. (2014), 'Acupuncture for menopausal vasomotor symptoms : study protocol for a randomised controlled trial', Trials, vol 15, no 1 .
- Ee, C. (2009), 'Acupuncture for hot flushes', Climacteric, vol 12, no 5 , pp 459 - 460.
- Ee, C. (2008), ''I just don't feel right'', Australian Family Physician, vol 37, no 11 , pp 904 - 907.
- Ee, C., Manheimer, E., Pirotta, M. and White, A. (2008), 'Acupuncture for pelvic and back pain in pregnancy : a systematic review', American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol 198, no 3 , pp 254 - 259.
- Ee, C. and Pirotta, M. (2006), 'Primary dysmenorrhoea : evidence for complementary medicine', Australian Family Physician, vol 35, no 11 , pp 869 - 869.
- 2020, 'Depression, Co-Morbidity and Integrated Care', Report
- 2019, 'Returning to Work After Parental Leave: An Appreciative Inquiry. Vice Chancellor's Gender Equality Fund, Final Report 2019', Report
|Title:||Lifestyle Medicine' within Australian Psychiatric Hospitals: Assessing Dietary Quality, Exercise Options, and Integrative Modalities|
|Western Researchers:||Jerome Sarris and Carolyn Ee|
|Years:||2020-11-19 - 2022-11-19|
|Title:||Massage, Acupuncture, Tai Chi and Yoga for People with Cancer from Lower Socio-Economic Backgrounds|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee|
|Years:||2020-02-05 - 2022-06-30|
|Title:||The autonomic nervous system and obesity in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: evaluating the feasibility and mechanistics of neuromodulation using a novel auricular electro-acupuncture device|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee, Caroline Smith, Genevieve Steiner-Lim and Kenny Lawson|
|Years:||2018-08-20 - 2022-12-31|
|Title:||Translating evidence into practice in primary care management of women with PCOS|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee|
|Years:||2021-08-02 - 2022-12-02|
|Title:||Development of a clinically relevant design to explore the efficacy of a modified Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan formulation (Gynoclear) for the treatment of endometriosis|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour, Carolyn Ee, Caroline Smith, Susan Arentz, Jane Ussher and Kenny Lawson|
|Years:||2018-10-01 - 2022-11-25|
|Title:||Warner Bros Natural Remedies Research|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee, Natalie Connor, Dina Vadassery, Mitchell Low and Mike Armour|
|Years:||2018-10-29 - 2018-12-20|
|Title:||Centre for Research Excellence in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (CREPCOS) - Determining the feasibility of a method for a randomised controlled trial on acupuncture for weight management in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: a qualitative study [via Monash Uni]|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee, Caroline Smith and Freya Macmillan|
|Years:||2016-10-17 - 2020-03-31|
|Title:||WSIH Supportive Care for People with Cancer from Lower Socio-Economic Backgrounds|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee, Michael De Manincor and Kate Templeman|
|Years:||2018-12-17 - 2019-12-16|
|Title:||Centre for Research Excellence in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (CREPCOS) - Acupuncture as an adjunct to lifestyle interventions for weight management in PCOS: a randomised controlled feasibility study|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee and Caroline Smith|
|Years:||2017-10-18 - 2020-03-31|
|Title:||Revolutionising dementia care in South Western Sydney: Local requirements for a multidisciplinary memory clinic|
|Western Researchers:||Genevieve Steiner-Lim, Mark Hohenberg, Carolyn Ee, Kate Mcbride, Freya Macmillan, Emma George and Amit Arora|
|Years:||2017-05-01 - 2019-03-30|
|Title:||Shared Medical Appointments for Type 2 Diabetes Management|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee|
|Years:||2019-04-08 - 2021-12-31|
|Title:||Feasibility and acceptability of complementary therapies for weight management after breast cancer: a qualitative study|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee|
|Years:||2020-08-03 - 2021-08-02|