Doctor Carolyn Ee
Senior Research Fellow - Jacka Foundation Integrative Medicine Program,
NICM Health Research Institute
Carolyn has dual qualifications in Western and Chinese medicine, and postgraduate research experience in acupuncture for women’s health. Her doctorate examined the efficacy of acupuncture for menopausal hot flushes. She received a Project Grant from the National Health and Medical Research Council for this large randomised controlled trial, which was published in Annals of Internal Medicine in 2016.
Carolyn is passionate about the translation of safe, well-evidenced integrative therapies into conventional practice. She has been involved in delivering lectures and workshops on acupuncture and complementary medicine to health professionals and medical students, and in November 2016 was appointed to lead the Jacka Foundation Integrative Medicine Program at NICM, which aims to further the translation of integrative medicine. As part of this new role, Carolyn is responsible for developing a model of care for a new academic integrative health clinic which will combine acupuncture, Chinese medicine, mind-body therapies, and conventional health care. She is a Reference Group Member on the Chinese Medicine Board of Australia. Her research interests are in acupuncture clinical trials, particularly in women’s health, PCOS, insulin resistance and breast cancer, as well as translational research in complementary medicine more broadly.
Underpinning Carolyn's research expertise is a background of significant clinical experience as an integrative GP and acupuncturist. She continues to practise one day a week as a GP in Mosman, Sydney. Carolyn also served as an examiner for the RACGP specialist entry exams for over ten years, and on the Editorial Board of the Australian Family Physician. She is Chair of the RACGP Integrative Medicine Working Group..
PhD, University of Melbourne, 2016
MBBS, University of Western Australia, 1998
2010 Masters of Medicine by Research, University of Melbourne, Dept of General Practice "Pilot study of an approach to undertake a methodologically rigorous trial of acupuncture"
207 Graduate Certificate of Medical Acupuncture, Monash University
2007 Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
2004 Bachelor of Applied Science with Distinction – Chinese Medicine/Human Biology, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
This information has been contributed by Doctor Ee.
- MMed University of Melbourne
- GradCertMedAcc Monash University
- BAppSc Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- MBBS University of Western Australia
- Breast Cancer
- Insulin Resistance
- Integrative Healthcare
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Translation Research
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- NICM Health Research Institute
|Phone:||(02) 9685 4732|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Armour, M., Ee, C. and Steiner, G. (2018), 'Randomized controlled trials', Handbook of Research Methods in Health Social Sciences, Springer 9789811052507.
- Sarris, J., Byrne, G., Cribb, L., Oliver, G., Murphy, J., Macdonald, P., Nazareth, S., Karamacoska, D., Galea, S., Short, A., Ee, C., Birling, Y., Menon, R. and Ng, C. (2019), 'L-theanine in the adjunctive treatment of generalized anxiety disorder : a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial', Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol 110 , pp 31 - 37.
- Firth, J., Veronese, N., Cotter, J., Shivappa, N., Hebert, J., Ee, C., Smith, L., Stubbs, B., Jackson, S. and Sarris, J. (2019), 'What is the role of dietary inflammation in severe mental illness? : a review of observational and experimental findings', Frontiers in Psychiatry, vol 10 .
- Ormsby, S., Dahlen, H., Ee, C., Keedle, H. and Smith, C. (2018), ''Acupuncture for antenatal depression : it's worth giving it a go' : a qualitative study', Women and Birth, vol 31, no 3 , pp 166 - 176.
- Smith, C., Levett, K., Collins, C., Dahlen, H., Ee, C. and Suganuma, M. (2018), 'Massage, reflexology and other manual methods for pain management in labour [Intervention Review]', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2018, no 3 .
- Steiner, G., Dubois, S., Ee, C., McBride, K., George, E., MacMillan, F., Karamacoska, D., Singh, K., Harley, A., McDonald, K., Derrett, A., Chow, J., Kohler, F. and Hohenberg, M. (2018), 'Co-creating a model of care for a new multidisciplinary memory clinic in South Western Sydney', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 37, no Suppl. S2 , pp 77 - 77.
- Oh, B., Yeung, A., Klein, P., Larkey, L., Ee, C., Zaslawski, C., Knobf, T., Payne, P., Stener-Victorin, E., Lee, R., Choi, W., Chun, M., Bonucci, M., Lang, H., Pavlakis, N., Boyle, F., Clarke, S., Back, M., Yang, P. and Rosenthal, D. (2018), 'Accreditation standard guideline initiative for Tai Chi and Qigong instructors and training institutions', Medicines, vol 5, no 2 .
- Ee, C., Smith, C., Costello, M., MacMillan, F., Moran, L., Baylock, B. and Teede, H. (2018), 'Feasibility and acceptability of a proposed trial of acupuncture as an adjunct to lifestyle interventions for weight loss in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome : a qualitative study', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 18 .
- Armour, M., Ee, C., Hao, J., Wilson, T., Yao, S. and Smith, C. (2018), 'Acupuncture and acupressure for premenstrual syndrome', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 8 .
- Ee, C., French, S., Xue, C., Pirotta, M. and Teede, H. (2017), 'Acupuncture for menopausal hot flashes : clinical evidence update and its relevance to decision making', Menopause, vol 24, no 8 , pp 980 - 987.
- Ee, C., Thuraisingam, S., Pirotta, M., French, S., Xue, C. and Teede, H. (2017), 'Expectancy after the first treatment and response to acupuncture for menopausal hot flashes', PLoS One, vol 12, no 10 .
- Smith, C., Armour, M. and Ee, C. (2016), 'Complementary therapies and medicines and reproductive medicine', Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, vol 34, no 2 , pp 67 - 73.
- Ee, C., Xue, C., Chondros, P., Myers, S., French, S., Teede, H. and Pirotta, M. (2016), 'Acupuncture for menopausal hot flashes : a randomized trial', Annals of Internal Medicine, vol 164, no 3 , pp 146 - 154.
- Ee, C. (2014), 'Approach to low back pain : acupuncture', Australian Family Physician, vol 43, no 5 , pp 287 - 288.
- Pirotta, M., Ee, C., Teede, H., Chondros, P., French, S., Myers, S. and Xue, C. (2014), 'Acupuncture for menopausal vasomotor symptoms : study protocol for a randomised controlled trial', Trials, vol 15, no 1 .
- Ee, C. (2009), 'Acupuncture for hot flushes', Climacteric, vol 12, no 5 , pp 459 - 460.
- Ee, C. (2008), ''I just don't feel right'', Australian Family Physician, vol 37, no 11 , pp 904 - 907.
- Ee, C., Manheimer, E., Pirotta, M. and White, A. (2008), 'Acupuncture for pelvic and back pain in pregnancy : a systematic review', American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol 198, no 3 , pp 254 - 259.
|Title:||Centre for Research Excellence in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (CREPCOS) - Determining the feasibility of a method for a randomised controlled trial on acupuncture for weight management in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: a qualitative study [via Monash Uni]|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee, Caroline Smith and Freya Macmillan|
|Years:||2016-10-17 - 2019-09-30|
|Title:||Centre for Research Excellence in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (CREPCOS) - Acupuncture as an adjunct to lifestyle interventions for weight management in PCOS: a randomised controlled feasibility study|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee and Caroline Smith|
|Years:||2017-10-18 - 2019-11-30|
|Title:||Shared Medical Appointments for Type 2 Diabetes Management|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee|
|Years:||2019-04-08 - 2020-10-30|
|Title:||Development of a clinically relevant design to explore the efficacy of a modified Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan formulation (Gynoclear) for the treatment of endometriosis|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour, Carolyn Ee, Caroline Smith, Dr Susan Arentz Arentz, Jane Ussher and Kenny Lawson|
|Years:||2018-10-01 - 2020-03-31|
|Title:||Warner Bros Natural Remedies Research|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Ee, Natalie Connor, Suzanne Grant, Dina Vadassery, Mitchell Low and Mike Armour|
|Years:||2018-10-29 - 2018-12-20|
|Title:||Revolutionising dementia care in South Western Sydney: Local requirements for a multidisciplinary memory clinic|
|Western Researchers:||Genevieve Steiner, Mark Hohenberg, Carolyn Ee, Kate Mcbride, Freya Macmillan, Emma George and Amit Arora|
|Years:||2017-05-01 - 2019-03-30|