Associate Professor Matt McGuire
Deputy Dean - School of Humanities & Communication Arts,
Dean's Unit - School of Humanities & Comm Arts
Matthew McGuire is a Senior Lecturer in English Literature. He has published widely on various aspects of Irish and Scottish literature. His key publications include the academic monograph, Contemporary Scottish Literature (2008). He is the editor of The Edinburgh Companion to Contemporary Scottish Poetry (2009), The Everyman Book of Irish Poems (2011), and The Collected Poems of Iain Crichton Smith (2011). His work has appeared in various peer-reviewed journals including the Edinburgh Review, Scottish Studies Review, Clues and New Hibernia Review. His current research explores the role of literature in the aftermath of political conflict, with a focus on Northern Ireland in the wake of the Troubles.
Matt McGuire is also the author of two novels, Dark Dawn (2012) and When Sorrows Come (2014). He has appeared at the Glasgow 'Aye Write' Book Festival, the Edinburgh International Book Festival been featured as a guest outhor on the BBC and on ABC Radio National.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor McGuire.
- PHd University of Edinburgh
- MSc University of Edinburgh
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit - School of Humanities & Comm Arts
- Arts (sohca)
|Phone:||(02) 9685 4673|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Andrews, C. and McGuire, M. (2016), 'Post-Conflict Literature: Human Rights, Peace, Justice', : Routledge 9781138916302.
- Mcguire, M. (2011), 'Irish Poems', : Everyman's Library 9781841597867.
- Mcguire, M. (2011), 'Iain Crichton Smith New Collected Poems', : Carcanet 978185754907.
- Mcguire, M. (2009), 'Contemporary Scottish Literature', : Palgrave Macmillan 9780230506701.
Chapters in Books
- Andrews, C. and McGuire, M. (2016), 'Introduction : post-conflict literature?', Post-Conflict Literature: Human Rights, Peace, Justice, Routledge 9781138916302.
- McGuire, M. (2016), 'Tragedy and transitional justice : Seamus Heaney's The Cure at Troy', Post-Conflict Literature: Human Rights, Peace, Justice, Routledge 9781138916302.
- McGuire, M. (2014), 'Crime fiction and the radical sublime : Godwin, Hogg and De Quincey', From the Sublime to City Crime, LiberFaber 9782365801720.
- Mcguire, M. (2010), 'Welsh's Novels', The Edinburgh Companion to Irvine Welsh, Edinburgh University Press 9780748639182.
- Mcguire, M. (2010), 'The Postmodern Promise of Robert McLiam Wilson's Fiction', Redefinitions of Irish Identity, Peter Lang 9783039115587.
- Mcguire, M. (2009), 'Northern Irish Poetry in the Twenty First Century', No Country for Old Men: Fresh Perspectives in Irish Literature, Peter Lang 9783039118410.
- McGuire, M. (2009), 'Kathleen Jamie', The Edinburgh companion to contemporary Scottish poetry, Edinburgh University Press 9780748636266.
- McGuire, M. and Nicholson, C. (2009), 'Introduction : feeling independent', The Edinburgh Companion to Contemporary Scottish Poetry, Edinburgh University Press 9780748636266.
- Mcguire, M. (2007), 'Cultural Devolutions: Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Return of the Postmodern', The Edinburgh Companion to Contemporary Scottish Literature, Edinburgh University Press 9780748623969.
- McGuire, M. (2006), 'Politics, language and class in Frances Malloy's No mate for the magpie', A Further Shore: Essays in Irish and Scottish Studies, Aberdeen University Press 9781906108021.
- McGuire, M. (2005), 'Glasgow and Belfast : capitals of culture?', Beyond the Anchoring Grounds: More Cross-currents in Irish and Scottish Studies, Clo Ollscoil na Banriona 9780853898856.
- McGuire, M. (2018), 'Heaney's mythic method : modernist afterlives in The Burial at Thebes', C21 Literature, vol 6, no 2 .
- McGuire, M. (2018), 'Lost lives : narrative, commemoration and the Northern Ireland Troubles', New Hibernia Review, vol 22, no 3 , pp 39 - 56.
- McGuire, M. (2017), 'Another Irish Antigone : gendering justice in Seamus Heaney's The Burial at Thebes', Comparative Literature, vol 69, no 3 , pp 288 - 302.
- McGuire, M. (2017), 'The trouble(s) with transitional justice : David Park's The Truth Commissioner', Irish University Review, vol 47, no Supplement , pp 515 - 530.
- McGuire, M. (2016), 'Narratives of apprehension : crime fiction and the aftermath of the Northern Irish Troubles', Text, vol 37 .
- McGuire, M. (2015), 'Novel truths and post-troubles fiction : Eoin McNamee's The Ultras', Australian Journal of Irish Studies, vol 15 , pp 55 - 66.
- McGuire, M. (2015), 'The "troubles" and modern memory : remembering and forgetting in Glenn Patterson's That which was [Book Review]', New Hibernia Review, vol 19, no 1 , pp 60 - 76.
- McGuire, M. (2014), 'Tartan Noir and the Scottish literary canon', Studies in Scottish Literature, vol 40, no 1 , pp 26 - 30.
- McGuire, M. (2012), 'James Hogg's Confessions of a justified sinner and the romantic roots of crime fiction', Clues, vol 30, no 1 , pp 8 - 17.
- McGuire, M. (2007), 'A terrible beauty : Bernard MacLaverty and the short story of the troubles', Edinburgh Review, vol 120 , pp 17 - 21.
- Mcguire, M. (2006), 'Dialect(ic) Nationalism? The Fiction of James Kelman and Roddy Doyle', Scottish Studies Review, vol 7, no 1 , pp 80 - 95.
- 2014, 'When Sorrows Come', Published Work
- 2012, 'Dark Dawn', Published Work