Associate Professor Leanne Rylands
Head, Maths Education & Support Hub,
I am currently a member of the research group "Success in Tertiary Mathematics" and with this group am studying and developing strategies for success in first year university mathematics for students with a poor maths background.
I am also a member of the research group "Theoretical Investigations in Mathematics and Statistics". I am working with Dr Ian Roberts (CDU) and others on various problems in Combinatorics.
I also have an interest in permutation puzzles (for example Rubik's Cube).
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Rylands.
- PhD University of Sydney
- MSc University of Sydney
- BSc University of Sydney
- Mathematics and Computer Science
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Learning Futures
|Phone:||(02) 47360 813
(02) 47360 813
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Kelarev, A., Yi, X., Badsha, S., Yang, X., Rylands, L. and Seberry, J. (2019), 'A multistage protocol for aggregated queries in distributed cloud databases with privacy protection', Future Generation Computer Systems, vol 90 , pp 368 - 380.
- Geiger, V., Mulligan, J., Date-Huxtable, L., Ahlip, R., Jones, D., May, E., Rylands, L. and Wright, I. (2018), 'An interdisciplinary approach to designing online learning : fostering pre-service mathematics teachers' capabilities in mathematical modelling', ZDM, vol 50, no 1-2 , pp 217 - 232.
- Kelarev, A., Yi, X., Cui, H., Rylands, L. and Jelinek, H. (2018), 'A survey of state-of-the-art methods for securing medical databases', AIMS Medical Science, vol 5, no 1 , pp 1 - 22.
- Rylands, L. and Shearman, D. (2018), 'Mathematics learning support and engagement in first year engineering', International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, vol 49, no 8 , pp 1133 - 1147.
- Matthews, K., Belward, S., Coady, C., Rylands, L. and Simbag, V. (2016), 'Curriculum development for quantitative skills in degree programs : a cross-institutional study situated in the life sciences', Higher Education Research and Development, vol 35, no 3 , pp 545 - 559.
- Huang, J., Jiang, Z. and Rylands, L. (2016), 'Aggregate power demand model and parameter identification for voltage stability enhancement', Universal Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, vol 4, no 2 , pp 57 - 66.
- Rylands, L. and Shearman, D. (2015), 'Supporting engagement or engaging support?', International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education, vol 23 , pp 64 - 73.
- Brinkmann, G., Mourisse, D. and Rylands, L. (2015), 'On the existence of nanojoins with given parameters', Journal of Mathematical Chemistry, vol 53, no 9 , pp 2078 - 2094.
- Nicholas, J. and Rylands, L. (2015), 'HSC mathematics choices and consequences for students coming to university without adequate mathematics preparation', Reflections: Journal of the Mathematical Association of New South Wales, vol 40, no 1 , pp 2 - 7.
- Gruttmuller, M., Roberts, I. and Rylands, L. (2014), 'Antichains and completely separating systems : a catalogue and applications', Discrete Applied Mathematics, vol 163 , pp 165 - 180.
- Miller, M., Phanalasy, O., Ryan, J. and Rylands, L. (2014), 'A note on antimagic labelings of trees', Bulletin of the Institute of Combinatorics and its Applications, vol 72 , pp 94 - 100.
- Miller, M., Phanalasy, O., Ryan, J. and Rylands, L. (2013), 'Sparse graphs with vertex antimagic edge labelings', AKCE International Journal of Graphs and Combinatorics, vol 10, no 2 , pp 193 - 198.
- Rylands, L., Simbag, V., Matthews, K., Coady, C. and Belward, S. (2013), 'Scientists and mathematicians collaborating to build quantitative skills in undergraduate science', International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, vol 44, no 6 , pp 834 - 845.
- Rylands, L., Phanalasy, O., Ryan, J. and Miller, M. (2013), 'An application of completely separating systems to graph labeling', Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 8288 , pp 376 - 387.
- Miller, M., Phanalasy, O., Ryan, J. and Rylands, L. (2012), 'Antimagicness of some families of generalized graphs', Australasian Journal of Combinatorics, vol 53 , pp 179 - 190.
- Brinkmann, G., Crevals, S., Melot, H., Rylands, L. and Steffen, E. (2012), 'alpha-labelings and the structure of trees with nonzero alpha-deficit', Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, vol 14, no 1 , pp 159 - 174.
- Rylands, L., Phanalasy, O., Ryan, J. and Miller, M. (2011), 'Construction for antimagic generalized web graphs', AKCE International Journal of Graphs and Combinatorics, vol 8, no 2 , pp 141 - 149.
- Roberts, I., Rylands, L., Montag, T. and Gruttmuller, M. (2010), 'On the number of minimal completely separating systems and antichains in a Boolean lattice', The Australasian Journal of Combinatorics, vol 48, no 0 , pp 143 - 158.
- Rylands, L. and Coady, C. (2009), 'Performance of students with weak mathematics in first year mathematics and science', International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, vol 40, no 6 , pp 741 - 753.
- Phanalasy, O., Roberts, I. and Rylands, L. (2009), 'Covering separating systems and an application to search theory', The Australasian Journal of Combinatorics, vol 45, no 0 , pp 3 - 14.
- Roberts, I. and Rylands, L. (2005), 'Minimal (n) and (n,h,k) Completely Separating Systems', Australasian Journal of Combinatorics, vol 33 , pp 57 - 66.
- Howlett, R., Rylands, L. and Taylor, D. (2001), 'Matrix generators for exceptional groups of Lie type', Journal of Symbolic Computation, vol 31 , pp 429 - 445.
- Kelarev, A., Seberry, J., Rylands, L. and Yi, X. (2018), 'Combinatorial algorithms and methods for security of statistical databases related to the work of Mirka Miller', International Workshop on Combinational Algorithms, Newcastle, N.S.W..
- Geiger, V., Date-Huxtable, L., Ahlip, R., Herberstein, M., Jones, D., May, E., Rylands, L., Wright, I. and Mulligan, J. (2016), 'Designing online learning for developing pre-service teachers' capabilities in mathematical modelling and applications', Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia. Conference, Adelaide, S.A..
- Nicholas, J., Rylands, L., Coady, C., Armstrong, L., Dhindsa, H., McGlynn, S., Nicholls, J., Pettigrew, J. and Shearman, D. (2015), 'A tale of two very different mathematics support centres at two very different universities', Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications. Conference, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Huang, J., Jiang, Z. and Rylands, L. (2015), 'Aggregate power demand modelling for voltage stability enhancement', International Symposium on Electrical, Electronic Engineering and Digital Technology, Tokyo, Japan.
- Shearman, D., Rylands, L. and Coady, C. (2013), 'Improving student engagement in mathematics using simple but effective methods', Joint International Conference of the Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) and the Asia Pacific Educational Research Association (APERA), University of Sydney.
- Huang, J., Jiang, Z., Rylands, L. and Negnevitsky, M. (2013), 'Power quality distrubance recognition employing state vector machine methods', IASTED International Conference on Control and Applications, Honolulu, U.S.A..
- Poladian, L. and Rylands, L. (2013), 'Thinking deeply of simple things : 45 years of the National Mathematics Summer School', Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers. Conference, University of Melbourne.
- King, D., Loch, B. and Rylands, L. (2013), 'Perceptions of feedback in mathematics ? results from a preliminary investigation at three Australian universities', Delta Conference of teaching and learning of undergraduate mathematics and statistics, Kiama, N.S.W..
- Rylands, L. (2013), 'Mathematics and ocean swimming', Delta Conference of teaching and learning of undergraduate mathematics and statistics, Kiama, N.S.W..
- Phanalasy, O., Miller, M., Rylands, L. and Lieby, P. (2011), 'On a Relationship between Completely Separating Systems and Antimagic Labeling of Regular Graphs', The 21st International Workshop on Combinatorial Algorithms, London, UK.
- Ryan, J., Phanalasy, O., Miller, M. and Rylands, L. (2011), 'On Antimagic Labeling for Generalized Web and Flower Graphs', The 21st International Workshop on Combinatorial Algorithms, London, UK.
- Belward, S., Matthews, K., Rylands, L., Coady, C., Adams, P. and Simbag, V. (2011), 'A Study of the Australian Tertiary Sector's Portrayed View of the Relevance of Quantitative Skills in Science', AAMT-MERGA conference held in Alice Springs, 3-7 July 2011, incorporating the 23rd biennial conference of The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers Inc. and the 34th annual conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia Inc., Alice Springs.
- Rylands, L., Matthews, K., Simbag, V., Belward, S., Adams, P. and Coady, C. (2011), 'Building quantitative skills of undergraduate science students: exploring the educational resources', Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education, Melbourne.
- Belward, S., Matthews, K., Thompson, K., Pelaez, N., Coady, C., Adams, P., Simbag, V. and Rylands, L. (2011), 'Applying Mathematical Thinking: The Role of Mathematicians and Scientists in Equipping the New Generation Scientist', Volcanic Delta 2011, the Eighth Southern Hemisphere Conference on Teaching and Learning Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics, Rotorua, New Zealand.
- Rylands, L. and Coady, C. (2009), 'Year 13 or first-year university - a holistic learning design that attempts to combine elements of secondary and tertiary learning and teaching', 2009 UniServe Science Conference Motivating science undergraduates: Ideas and Interventions, The University of Sydney.
- Coady, C. and Rylands, L. (2008), 'The use of reflective journals in a first year mathematics unit', Uniserve Science, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
- Roberts, I., D'Arcy, S., Gilbert, K., Rylands, L. and Phanalasy, O. (2005), 'Separating Systems, Sperner Systems, Search Theory', Australasian Workshop on Combinatorial Algorithms (AWOCA 2005), Ballarat.
|Title:||Security and Privacy of Individual Data Used to Extract Public Information [via RMIT Uni]|
|Western Researchers:||Leanne Rylands|
|Years:||2016-10-20 - 2019-10-19|
|Title:||Development and implementation of MathBench for Australian universities to improve quantitative skills of science and mathematics students [via Deakin Uni]|
|Western Researchers:||Jo-Anne Chuck and Leanne Rylands|
|Years:||2013-12-19 - 2016-04-30|
|Title:||Using standardised vignettes to assess practicum competencies in psychology and other disciplines|
|Western Researchers:||Craig Gonsalvez|
|Years:||2014-06-27 - 2016-09-15|