Associate Professor Gwyneth Howell
Associate Professor, Public Relations,
Communication, Creative Industries & Screen Media
I deliver a range of units for the Bachelor of Communication and Bachelor of Creative Industries. I facilitate bespoke training workshops and design online simulations. My teaching has been nationally recognised, with awards from the Office of Teaching and Learning and being named Educator of the Year by the PRIA. In 2010 I was awarded the College of Arts Teaching Citation for my innovative approach to education using online and social media. My teaching was recognised nationally in 2012 when Dr Howell was awarded a national OLT Teaching Citation for her integrated and innovative delivery of crisis and issues management at the Western Sydney University. In 2012 I was awarded the VC Teaching Citation for teaching excellence in relation to the Events Management unit I developed and introduced to the Communication Degree at WSU. In 2013 I was awarded Educator of the Year by the Public Relations Institute of Australia. In 2015 WSU recognised my outstanding teaching and engagement naming her as one of the University's Distinguished Teaching Fellows.
Some 15 years ago I developed the now internationally recognised Media Action Crisis Model to track changes and trends in the media during a crisis situation. My work on social media engagement during disasters enjoyed global press, with the US Red Cross including the project findings in their amended response protocols. As the media landscape has changed so to my research. Today I am at the forefront of social media engagement, exploring how best to capture organic sentiment and opinions from a range of different stakeholders.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Howell.
- PhD University of Western Australia
- MBus(Research) Queensland University of Technology
- MBA Bond University
- AMA (2010)
- PRIA (2003)
- Educational Design and Modes of Delivery
- Executive Education
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Communication, Creative Industries & Screen Media
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9581|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101173 Internship, 2017
- 101173 Internship, 2018
- 102064 Issues, Risk and Crisis Communication, 2018
- 102518 Digital Communication, 2017
- 102518 Digital Communication, 2018
Chapters in Books
- Howell, G. and Miller, R. (2016), 'Digitally driving student engagement to improve pedagogical outcomes', Social Media in the Classroom, Peter Lang 9781433129056.
- Howell, G. (2014), 'Issues and crisis management : James Hardie Industries', Public Relations Campaigns, Oxford University Press 9780195578621.
- Howell, G. and Miller, R. (2014), 'Marketing public relations : juice it right ', Public Relations Campaigns, Oxford University Press 9780195578621.
- Howell, G. (2012), 'An issues-crisis perspective', An Introduction to Public Relations and Communication Management, Oxford University Press 9780195578607.
- Howell, G. (2010), 'Public Relations - history and practice', The Media and Marketing Communcation, Pearson 9781442542570.
- Howell, G. and Mizerski, K. (2009), 'Marketing Public Relations: Launching Fundies', Public Relations Campaigns, Oxford University Press 978095559101.
- Howell, G. (2009), 'Issues and Crisis Management: James Hardies Industries', Public Relations Campaigns, Oxford University Press 978095559101.
- Howell, G. (2009), 'An Issues-Crisis Perspective', An Introduction to Public Relations: From Theory to Practice, Oxford University Press 9780195564655.
- Bridges, N., Howell, G. and Schmied, V. (2019), 'Creating online communities to build positive relationships and increase engagement in not-for-profit organisations', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 20 .
- Bridges, N., Howell, G. and Schmied, V. (2018), 'Breastfeeding peer support on social networking sites', Breastfeeding Review, vol 26, no 2 , pp 17 - 27.
- Bridges, N., Howell, G. and Schmied, V. (2018), 'Exploring breastfeeding support on social media', International Breastfeeding Journal, vol 13 .
- Howell, G. (2015), 'MH370 all lives lost : the 'Black Swan' disaster confirmed with a 26 word txt', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 16, no 1 , pp 8 - 21.
- Howell, G., Miller, R. and Rushbrook-House, G. (2014), '#A little bird told me : birdcaging the message during the BP disaster', Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, vol 24, no 2 , pp 113 - 128.
- Taylor, M., Wells, G., Howell, G. and Raphael, B. (2012), 'The role of social media as psychological first aid as a support to community resilience building : a Facebook study from 'Cyclone Yasi Update'', Australian Journal of Emergency Management, vol 27, no 1 , pp 20 - 26.
- Howell, G. and Taylor, M. (2011), 'When a crisis happens, who turns to Facebook and why?', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 12, no 1 .
- Howell, G. and Miller, R. (2010), 'Maple Leaf Foods: Crisis and Containment Case Study', Public Communication Review, vol 1, no 1 , pp 47 - 56.
- Howell, G. and Da Salvia, B. (2010), 'New media, first time voters and the 2007 Australian federal election', Public Communication Review, vol 1, no 1 , pp 27 - 36.
- Howell, G. and Miller, R. (2010), 'Equine Influenza - Horsing about with a quarantine crisis', The Australian Journal of Emergency Management, vol 25, no 1 , pp 23 - 29.
- Howell, G. and Miller, R. (2010), 'Organizational Response to Crisis: A case study of Maple Leaf Foods', The Northwest Journal of Communication, vol 39, no 1 , pp 91 - 108.
- Mclennan, A. and Howell, G. (2010), 'Social networks and the challenge for public relations', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 11, no 1 , pp 11 - 19.
- Foster, G. and Howell, G. (2010), 'Is the media influencing Australia's purse strings?', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 11, no 2 , pp 1 - 16.
- Howell, G. and Bridges, N. (2009), 'The role of tertiary education in preparing students for a career in public relations', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 10 , pp 65 - 79.
- Miller, R. and Howell, G. (2008), 'Regulating consumption with bite : building a contemporary framework for urban dog management', Journal of Business Research, vol 61, no 5 , pp 525 - 531.
- Herger, K. and Howell, G. (2007), 'The good the bad and the blogger, the public relations challenge of the Noughties', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 8 , pp 91 - 108.
- Geaitani, S. and Howell, G. (2007), 'Public Relations is no longer on the backburner', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 8 , pp 121 - 136.
- Howell, G. and Miller, R. (2006), 'How the relationship between the crisis life cycle and mass media content can better inform crisis communication', PRism, vol 4, no 1 .
- Howell, G., Miller, R. and Bridges, N. (2006), 'Cardinal rule of the media release - get your facts straight!', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 6, no 2 .
- Howell, G. (2006), 'Ansett Airlines - Absolutely! going, grounded, gone.', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 6, no 1 , pp 1 - 20.
- Howell, G. and Miller, R. (2006), 'Spinning out the asbestos agenda: How big business uses public relations in Australia', Public Relations Review, vol 32, no 3 , pp 261 - 266.
- Howell, G. (2006), 'The Research Dilemma in management of crisis communication: a case study of the Mars Snickers Recall', Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, vol 6, no 1 , pp 193 - 208.
- Howell, G. and Mizerski, D. (2006), 'Using information processing theory to design commercial rumour response strategies on the World Wide Web', Australian & New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) Conference 2006, Brisbane, Australia.
- Miller, R. and Howell, G. (2005), 'A Test Of The Theory Of Planned Behavior In Underage Lottery Gambling', ANZMAC 2005 - Broadening the Boundaries, University of Western Australia, Perth.
- Howell, G., Miller, R. and Bridges, N. (2005), 'Cardinal rule of the media release - get your facts straight!', PRIA 05 Academic Forum, Queensland University of Technology, Gardens Point Campus, Brisbane.
- Miller, R., Howell, G. and Mizerski, D. (2005), 'The Causal Effects of TV Ads for Beer in an Underage 12 to 16 year old Australian Audience's Responses toward Beer"', 34th EMAC Conferernce, Milan Italy.
- Howell, G. (2005), 'The University of Western Sydney public relations major - Industry accreditation and pedagogy for enhanced learning through the development of new public relations electives', CEASS Conference: Scholarship and Community UWS 2005, University of Western Sydney, Bankstown.
|Title:||When a Crisis happens who turns to Facebook first?|
|Western Researchers:||Beverley Raphael, Gwyneth Howell and Mel Taylor|
|Years:||2011-02-01 - 2011-11-30|
|Thesis Title:||Branded Content - Kindling the Brand Romance|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Social Media Approach for E-Marketing|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||The Impact of Using Modern Communicatin Technology by PR's Practicioners of the Future PR's Profession|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Content Transferability: Conceptualising Audiences' Perspective of Message Consistency within Integrated Marketing Communications|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||The Faces of Breastfeeding Support: A netnographic analysis of how breastfeeding mothers find support online|
|Field of Research:||Communication And Media Studies; Other Creative Arts; Midwifery|
|Thesis Title:||Social Impact through Active Participation: A Case of an Engaging Cause Marketing Experience|
|Field of Research:||Sales And Marketing|
|Thesis Title:||The Impact of Using Modern Communication Technology by PR's Practitioners of the Future PR's Professions|
|Field of Research:|