Associate Professor Corrinne Sullivan
Associate Dean, Indigenous Education,
Dean's Unit, School of Social Sciences
Associate Professor in Geography,
Geography, Tourism & Planning
Corrinne is an Aboriginal scholar from the Wiradjuri Nation in Central-West New South Wales. Corrinne is an Associate Professor in Geography and Urban Studies in the School of Social Sciences, an Institute for Culture and Society member, and a Urban Transformations Research Centre member. She has over two decades of experience in the Higher Education sector and is recognised as a leader who articulates a clear vision and commitment to mentoring the next generation of scholars, including significant work with students and early career researchers to foster their growth. Corrinne’s knowledges stem from the disciplines of Indigenous Studies and Human Geography, and she utilises both to understand the ways in which Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples negotiate their social, cultural, and political identities in relation to place-based and spatial dynamics. Her research areas include: Indigenous LGBTIQ+ people’s social and emotional wellbeing; Indigenous peoples and urban spaces; and Indigenous communities and organisations; Indigenous education; and gender and sexuality studies. Her research has made significant and timely contributions to government policy, institutional practice, and community-based services and resources, with vision to improve the social, economic, mental, physical and cultural wellbeing of Indigenous people through centring and amplifying their voices to promote positive change. The key objective of her research agenda is meaningful engagement with Indigenous communities and organisations to develop appropriate and impactful resourcing that can contribute toward building safe, inclusive and sustainable communities.
Corrinne also conducts research in the area of Indigenous Education, and has expertise in the area of Indigenous curriculum and pedagogy development. She is a dedicated teacher whose passion lies in creating dynamic and thought-provoking classrooms. She takes pride in creating learning spaces where students can critically engage with their and other students’ racisms, prejudices and biases. Her dedication to teaching was recognised in 2017 when she was awarded the Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT) Citation: ‘For the development of a transformative and motivating learning space in Indigenous Studies that has inspired students to critically and sensitively reflect on their perspectives and worldviews’.
Corrinne provides considerable contributions to the discipline of Geography as a Councillor on the Geographical Society of NSW, and she is on the editorial board of Australian Geographer, and Geographical Research.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Sullivan.
- PhD Macquarie University
- Professional Certificate in Indigenous Research University of Melbourne
- BA Macquarie University
- Centre for Global Indigenous Futures (2021)
- Geographical Society of NSW (2017)
- BlaQ Aboriginal Corporation (2020)
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (2012)
- Institute of Australian Geographers (2012)
- Association of American Geographers (2014)
- Associate Member, Indigenous Allied Health Australia (2015)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit, School of Social Sciences
- Geography, Tourism & Planning
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6741
(02) 9772 6741
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- HUMN3112 Indigenous Methodologies, 2022
Chapters in Books
- Sullivan, C., Coe, G., Spurway, K., Briskman, L., Leha, J., Trewlynn, W. and Soldatic, K. (2022), 'Transforming colonial social suffering : strategies of hope and resistance by LGBTIQ+ Indigenous peoples in settler-colonial Australia', Social Suffering in the Neoliberal Age: State Power, Logics and Resistance, Routledge 9780367675554.
- Sullivan, C. (2022), 'When the city calls : mapping Indigenous Australian queer placemaking in Sydney', Mapping LGBTQ Spaces and Places: A Changing World, Springer 9783031037917.
- Newitt, R. and Sullivan, C. (2022), 'COVID-19, "Black Lives Matter" and Indigenous Australians : a tale of two intersecting pandemics', COVID-19 and a World of Ad Hoc Geographies, Springer 9783030943493.
- Morseu-Diop, N., Sullivan, C., Cruickshank, S., Hutton, V. and Sisko, S. (2021), 'Post-Colonialism (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders)', Multicultural Responsiveness in Counselling and Psychology: Working with Australian Populations, Palgrave Macmillan 9783030554262.
- Sullivan, C. (2020), 'Indigenous Australian sexualities explored through the lens of sex work', Routledge Handbook of Gender and Feminist Geographies, Routledge 9781138057685.
- Bodkin-Andrews, G., Bodkin-Andrews, G., Lovelock, R., Paradies, Y., Denson, N., Sullivan, C. and Priest, N. (2017), 'Not my family : understanding the prevalence and impact of racism beyond individualistic expectations ', Indigenous Children Growing Up Strong: A Longitudinal Study of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Families, Palgrave 9781137534347.
- Trudgett, M., Page, S., Bodkin-Andrews, G., Bodkin-Andrews, G., Sullivan, C. and Whittaker, A. (2017), 'Another brick in the wall? : parent perceptions of school educational experiences of Indigenous Australian children', Indigenous Children Growing up Strong: A Longitudinal Study of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Families, Palgrave Macmillan 9781137534347.
- Tran, D., Sullivan, C. and Nicholas, L. (2023), 'Lateral violence and microaggressions in the LGBTQ+ community : a scoping review', Journal of Homosexuality, vol 70, no 7 , pp 1310 - 1324.
- Spurway, K., Sullivan, C., Leha, J., Trewlynn, W., Briskman, L. and Soldatic, K. (2023), '"I felt invisible" : First nations LGBTIQSB+ young people's experiences with health service provision in Australia', Journal of Gay and Lesbian Social Services, vol 35, no 1 , pp 68 - 91.
- Soldatic, K., Sullivan, C., Briskman, L., Leha, J., Trewlynn, W. and Spurway, K. (2023), '[In Press] Indigenous LGBTIQSB + people's experiences of family violence in Australia', Journal of Family Violence, .
- Sullivan, C., Spurway, K., Leha, J., Trewllyn, W. and Soldatic, K. (2023), 'The Dalarinji project - "Your Story" : a narrative synthesis', Journal of Global Indigeneity, vol 7, no 2 , pp 1 - 25.
- Sullivan, C. (2022), ''People pay me for sex' : contemporary lived experiences of Indigenous Australian sex workers', Journal of Intercultural Studies, vol 43, no 1 , pp 23 - 38.
- Sullivan, C., Coe, G., Spurway, K., Briskman, L., Trewlynn, W., Leha, J. and Soldatic, K. (2022), 'Mobility tactics : young LGBTIQ+ Indigenous Australians' belonging and connectedness', Journal of Global Indigeneity, vol 6, no 1 , pp 1 - 15.
- Sullivan, C., Spurway, K., Briskman, L., Leha, J., Trewlynn, W. and Soldatic, K. (2022), '"She's always been a fighter for me" : Indigenous mothers as advocates and defenders of their LGBTIQSB+ children', LGBTQ+ Family, vol 18, no 5 , pp 463 - 474.
- Gorman-Murray, A., Sullivan, C. and Baganz, E. (2022), 'Ageing, sexualities and place : aligning the geographies of gerontology and sexualities', Geography Compass, vol 16, no 8 .
- Briskman, L., Sullivan, C., Spurway, K., Leha, J., Trewlynn, W. and Soldatic, K. (2022), '(Re)Claiming health : the human rights of young LGBTIQ+ Indigenous people in Australia', Health and Human Rights Journal, vol 24, no 1 , pp 35 - 47.
- Sullivan, C., Tran, D., Trewlynn, W., Spurway, K., Leha, J., Briskman, L. and Soldatic, K. (2022), ''We want to help but we don't know what to do' : service providers working with Indigenous LGBTIQ+ youth in Australia', Sexes, vol 3, no 2 , pp 308 - 324.
- Sullivan, C. and Day, M. (2021), 'Queer(y)ing Indigenous Australian higher education student spaces', The Australian Journal of Indigenous Education, vol 50, no 1 , pp 2 - 9.
- Soldatic, K., Sullivan, C., Briskman, L., Leha, J., Trewlynn, W. and Spurway, K. (2021), 'Social inclusion and exclusion for First Nations LGBTIQ+ people in Australia', Social Inclusion, vol 9, no 2 , pp 1 - 6.
- Sullivan, C. (2021), ''Hot, young, buff' : an Indigenous Australian gay male view of sex work', Social Inclusion, vol 9, no 2 , pp 52 - 60.
- Sullivan, C. (2021), 'Pussy power : a contemporaneous view of Indigenous women and their role in sex work', Genealogy, vol 5, no 3 .
- Sullivan, C. (2020), 'Who holds the key? : negotiating gatekeepers, community politics, and the "right" to research in Indigenous spaces', Geographical Research, vol 58, no 4 , pp 344 - 354.
- Sullivan, C. (2019), 'Majesty in the city : experiences of an Aboriginal transgender sex worker in Sydney, Australia', Gender, Place and Culture, vol 25, no 12 , pp 1681 - 1702.
- Sullivan, C. and Day, M. (2019), 'Indigenous transmasculine Australians & sex work', Emotion, Space and Society, vol 32 .
- Sullivan, C. (2018), 'Indigenous Australian women's colonial sexual intimacies : positioning indigenous women's agency', Culture, Health and Sexuality, vol 20, no 4 , pp 397 - 410.
- Page, S., Trudgett, M. and Sullivan, C. (2017), 'Past, present and future : acknowledging Indigenous achievement and aspiration in higher education', HERDSA Review of Higher Education, vol 4 , pp 29 - 51.
- Sullivan, C. (2017), 'Aboriginal inmate experiences of Parramatta Girls Home', Australian Aboriginal Studies, vol 2 , pp 84 - 97.
- Sullivan, C. (2014), 'Belonging to bad : ambiguity, Parramatta girls and the Parramatta girls home', Geographical Research, vol 52, no 2 , pp 157 - 167.
- Everett, K., Ambler, T., Hummel, E., Collins, M., Davis, R., Humphries, N. and Sullivan, C. (2010), 'Daruganora : modeling new practice for sustainable, collaborative research led learning and teaching relationships between schools and universities', Australasian Journal of University Community Engagement, vol 5, no 1 , pp 62 - 86.
- Trudgett, M. and Sullivan, C. (2011), 'Not in my backyard : the impact of culture shock on Indigenous Australians in higher education', International Australasian Conference on Enabling Access to Higher Education, Adelaide, S.A..
- Spencer, A. and Sullivan, C. (2008), 'Podcasting : a fad with a future', Beyond the Hype, Brisbane, Qld..
- 2022, 'Dalarinji - 'Your Story': Community Roadmaps', Report
- 2022, 'Vice-Chancellor's Gender Equality Fund Final Report 2021: Addressing Intersectionality in Gender 'Equity' at WSU: Experiences, Policies, and Everyday Practices', Report
- 2021, 'Dalarinji - 'Your Story': Final Report to Community', Report
- 2020, 'The S.S. Academy', Published Work
- 2020, 'Indigenous Land', Published Work
- 2020, 'Extraction Zombies', Published Work
- 2020, 'Pass the Ball', Published Work
|Title:||Storying and repairing water places in Wiradjuri Country [via Macquarie University]|
|Western Researchers:||Corrinne Sullivan|
|Years:||2023-06-23 - 2025-06-23|
|Title:||Walking my path: NSW Indigenous LGBTIQ+ peoples' experiences & aspirations|
|Western Researchers:||Corrinne Sullivan and Karen Soldatic|
|Years:||2022-01-01 - 2025-12-31|
|Title:||First Nations Digital Inclusion in Western Sydney|
|Western Researchers:||Azadeh Dastyari, Corrinne Sullivan and Rhonda Itaoui|
|Years:||2023-08-10 - 2025-08-29|
|Thesis Title:||Issues and challenges affecting the social and emotional wellbeing and mental health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander LGBTIQA and young peoples as communicated in digital spaces|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||An exploration of teachers' subjective experiences of teaching the "difficult knowledge" inherent in Stolen Generations pedagogy|
|Field of Research:|