Associate Professor Athena Sheehan
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Dr Athena Sheehan is an Associate Professor within the School of Nursing and Midwifery. Her professional experience includes being Director of Programs (Midwifery) at Western Sydney University and similarly the Director of Studies Midwifery at UTS. In these roles Athena was responsible for the governance of the PG and UG midwifery degrees including the management and writing of curriculum. Athena teaches and coordinates in both undergraduate and postgraduate Midwifery programs, and supervises Higher Degree Research students. Her research has resulted in major original and innovative contributions to the field of infant feeding and maternal health and she has been recognised nationally and internationally for her research in this area. Athena has been competitive in gaining university and external research grants including two Australian Research Council grants.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Sheehan.
- PhD University of Technology, Sydney
- MNurs University of Technology, Sydney
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9068|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Sheehan, A. and Schmied, V. (2011), 'The imperative to breastfeed: An Australian perspective', Infant Feeding Practices: A Cross-cultural Perspective, Springer 9781441968722.
- Stulz, V., Francis, L., Perumbil Pathrose, S., Sheehan, A. and Drayton, N. (2021), 'Appreciative inquiry as an intervention to improve nursing and midwifery students transitioning into becoming new graduates : an integrative review', Nurse Education Today, vol 98 .
- Musodza, W., Sheehan, A., Nicholls, D. and Dahlen, H. (2021), '[In Press] Experiences of maternity healthcare professionals returning to work following a personal perinatal loss : a scoping review of the literature', OMEGA: Journal of Death and Dying, .
- George, A., Kong, A., Villarosa, A., Duff, M., Sheehan, A., Burns, E., Priddis, H., Chua, C. and Dahlen, H. (2020), 'Implementing and evaluating the effectiveness of an oral health module for the bachelor of midwifery program at an Australian university', Nurse Education Today, vol 90 .
- Meller, N., Parker, D., Hatcher, D. and Sheehan, A. (2019), 'Grief experiences of nurses after the death of an adult patient in an acute hospital setting : an integrative review of literature', Collegian, vol 26, no 2 , pp 302 - 310.
- Sheehan, A., Gribble, K. and Schmied, V. (2019), 'It's okay to breastfeed in public but...', International Breastfeeding Journal, vol 14 .
- Schmied, V., Burns, E. and Sheehan, A. (2019), 'Place of sanctuary: an appreciative inquiry approach to discovering how communities support breastfeeding and parenting', International Breastfeeding Journal, vol 14, no 1 .
- Arundell, F., Mannix, J., Sheehan, A. and Peters, K. (2018), 'Workplace culture and the practice experience of midwifery students : a meta-synthesis', Journal of Nursing Management, vol 26, no 3 , pp 302 - 313.
- Fox, D., Sheehan, A. and Homer, C. (2018), 'Birthplace in Australia : processes and interactions during the intrapartum transfer of women from planned homebirth to hospital', Midwifery, vol 57 , pp 18 - 25.
- Meller, N., Hatcher, D., Parker, D. and Sheehan, A. (2018), 'Working with grief : experiences of nurses working in acute hospital settings after the death of a patient in their care', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 25, no 11 , pp 37 - 37.
- Fox, D., Sheehan, A. and Homer, C. (2018), 'Birthplace in Australia : antenatal preparation for the possibility of transfer from planned home birth', Midwifery, vol 66 , pp 134 - 140.
- Petrovska, K., Sheehan, A. and Homer, C. (2017), 'The fact and the fiction : a prospective study of internet forum discussions on vaginal breech birth', Women and Birth, vol 30, no 2 , pp 96 - 102.
- Petrovska, K., Watts, N., Sheehan, A., Bisits, A. and Homer, C. (2017), 'How do social discourses of risk impact on women's choices for vaginal breech birth? A qualitative study of women's experiences', Health, Risk and Society, vol 19, no 1-2 , pp 19 - 37.
- Sheehan, A. and Bowcher, W. (2017), 'Messages to new mothers : an analysis of breast pump advertisements', Maternal and Child Nutrition, vol 13, no 2 .
- Petrovska, K., Sheehan, A. and Homer, C. (2017), 'Media representations of breech birth : a prospective analysis of web-based news reports', Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol 62, no 4 , pp 434 - 441.
- Harte, J., Homer, C., Sheehan, A., Leap, N. and Foureur, M. (2017), 'Using video in childbirth research : ethical approval challenges', Nursing Ethics, vol 24, no 2 , pp 177 - 189.
- Burns, E., Fenwick, J., Sheehan, A. and Schmied, V. (2016), ''This little piranha' : a qualitative analysis of the language used by health professionals and mothers to describe infant behaviour during breastfeeding', Maternal and Child Nutrition, vol 12, no 1 , pp 111 - 124.
- Bowden, C., Sheehan, A. and Foureur, M. (2016), 'Birth room images : what they tell us about childbirth : a discourse analysis of birth rooms in developed countries', Midwifery, vol 35 , pp 71 - 77.
- Harte, J., Sheehan, A., Stewart, S. and Foureur, M. (2016), 'Childbirth supporters' experiences in a built hospital birth environment : exploring inhibiting and facilitating factors in negotiating the supporter role', Health Environments Research and Design Journal, vol 9, no 3 , pp 135 - 161.
- Catling, C., Hogan, R., Fox, D., Cummins, A., Kelly, M. and Sheehan, A. (2016), 'Simulation workshops with first year midwifery students', Nurse Education in Practice, vol 17 , pp 109 - 115.
- Reid, J., Schmied, V., Sheehan, A. and Fenwick, J. (2014), ''Be our guest' : challenges and benefits of using 'family conversations' to collect qualitative data about infant feeding and parenting', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 23, no 17-18 , pp 2404 - 2413.
- Schmied, V., Thomson, G., Byrom, A., Burns, E., Sheehan, A. and Dykes, F. (2014), 'A meta-ethnographic study of health care staff perceptions of the WHO/UNICEF Baby Friendly Health Initiative', Women and Birth, vol 27, no 4 , pp 242 - 249.
- Fox, D., Sheehan, A. and Homer, C. (2014), 'Experiences of women planning a home birth who require intrapartum transfer to hospital : a metasynthesis of the qualitative literature', International Journal of Childbirth, vol 4, no 2 , pp 103 - 119.
- Burns, E., Fenwick, J., Sheehan, A. and Schmied, V. (2013), 'Mining for liquid gold : midwifery language and practices associated with early breastfeeding support', Maternal and Child Nutrition, vol 9, no 1 , pp 57 - 73.
- Sheehan, A., Schmied, V. and Barclay, L. (2013), 'Exploring the process of women's infant feeding decisions in the early postbirth period', Qualitative Health Research, vol 23, no 7 , pp 989 - 998.
- Fenwick, J., Burns, E., Sheehan, A. and Schmied, V. (2013), 'We only talk about breast feeding : a discourse analysis of infant feeding messages in antenatal group-based education', Midwifery, vol 29, no 5 , pp 425 - 433.
- Cooper, K., Chang, E., Sheehan, A. and Johnson, A. (2013), 'The impact of spiritual care education upon preparing undergraduate nursing students to provide spiritual care', Nurse Education Today, vol 33, no 9 , pp 1057 - 1061.
- Burns, E., Schmied, V., Fenwick, J. and Sheehan, A. (2012), 'Liquid gold from the milk bar : constructions of breastmilk and breastfeeding women in the language and practices of midwives', Social Science and Medicine, vol 75, no 10 , pp 1737 - 1745.
- Burns, E., Fenwick, J., Schmied, V. and Sheehan, A. (2012), 'Reflexivity in midwifery research : the insider/outsider debate', Midwifery, vol 28, no 1 , pp 52 - 60.
- Barclay, L., Longman, J., Schmied, V., Sheehan, A., Rolfe, M., Burns, E. and Fenwick, J. (2012), 'The professionalising of breast feeding : where are we a decade on?', Midwifery, vol 28, no 3 , pp 281 - 290.
- Taylor, C., Gribble, K., Sheehan, A., Schmied, V. and Dykes, F. (2011), 'Staff Perceptions and Experiences of Implementing the Baby Friendly Initiative in Neonatal Intensive Care Units in Australia', JOGNN - Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, vol 40, no 1 , pp 25 - 34.
- Schmied, V., Beake, S., Sheehan, A., Mccourt, C. and Dykes, F. (2011), 'Women's Perceptions and Experiences of Breastfeeding Support: A Metasynthesis', Birth, vol 38, no 1 , pp 49 - 60.
- Schmied, V., Gribble, K., Sheehan, A., Taylor, C. and Dykes, F. (2011), 'Ten steps or climbing a mountain: A study of Australian health professionals' perceptions of implementing the baby friendly health initiative to protect, promote and support breastfeeding', BMC Health Services Research, vol 11, no 208 , pp 1 - 10.
- Burns, E., Schmied, V., Sheehan, A. and Fenwick, J. (2010), 'A meta-ethnographic synthesis of women's experience of breastfeeding', Maternal and Child Nutrition, vol 6, no 3 , pp 201 - 219.
- Sheehan, A., Schmied, V. and Barclay, L. (2010), 'Complex decisions : theorizing women's infant feeding decisions in the first 6 weeks after birth', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol 66, no 2 , pp 371 - 380.
- Sheehan, A., Schmied, V. and Barclay, L. (2009), 'Women's experiences of infant feeding support in the first 6 weeks post-birth', Maternal and Child Nutrition, vol 5, no 2 , pp 138 - 150.
- Schmied, V., Beake, S., Sheehan, A., McCourt, C. and Dykes, F. (2009), 'A meta-synthesis of women's perceptions and experiences of breastfeeding support', JBI Library of Systematic Reviews, vol 7, no 14 , pp 583 - 614.
- Cooke, M., Schmied, V. and Sheehan, A. (2007), 'An exploration of the relationship between postnatal distress and maternal role attainment, breast feeding problems and breast feeding cessation in Australia', Midwifery, vol 23, no 1 , pp 66 - 76.
- Burns, E., Schmied, V., Fenwick, J. and Sheehan, A. (2010), 'Health professional language in the first week after birth: construction of the infant', QEC 6th International Conference, Melbourne.
- Burns, E., Schmied, V., Fenwick, J. and Sheehan, A. (2010), 'Midwives and breastfeeding women: Rocking the boat, or providing a safe haven', NSW Midwives Association Conference, Kiama.
- Burns, E., Schmied, V., Fenwick, J. and Sheehan, A. (2010), 'Establishing Breastfeeding: Health Professional Language and Practices', ACTLACT Twilight Seminar, Canberra.
- Burns, E., Schmied, V. and Sheehan, A. (2010), 'Breastfeeding: the language and practices of midwives', UWS Research futures forum, .
- Burns, E., Schmied, V., Fenwick, J. and Sheehan, A. (2010), 'Breastfeeding and the discursive representations of newborn infant behaviour', Australian Lactation Consultant Association conference "Breastfeeding a Key Public Health Issue, Canberra.
- 2018, 'Tackling Maternal Anxiety in the Perinatal Period: Reconceptualising Mothering Narratives', Report
|Title:||The Bachelor of Midwifery Multiple Mini Interview Study|
|Western Researchers:||Athena Sheehan, Fiona Arundell and Russell Thomson|
|Years:||2019-07-01 - 2020-06-30|