Associate Professor Anna Cristina Pertierra
Institute for Culture and Society
Associate Professor in Cultural and Social Analysis,
Anna Cristina Pertierra's research uses ethnography to examine everyday social practice, with a particular interest in media, consumption and material culture, and urban modernities. Regionally, her work focuses on Cuba, Mexico and the Philippines. Prior to joining Western Sydney University, Anna worked at the Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies and the School of Social Science at the University of Queensland. Anna has a PhD in Anthropology from University College London and a BA Hons in Social Anthropology from the University of Sydney.
Current research interests include:
- Consumer culture and urban modernities in the Philippines and Latin America.
- Media, especially television, in Cuba, Mexico and the Philippines.
- Gendered identities and practices, especially women and girls.
- Entertainment and popular culture.
Anna is the Associate Dean Research for the School of Humanities and Communication Arts, and the Deputy Director of Research at the Institute for Culture and Society. She is also a University Research Theme Champion for Urban Living Futures and Society.
In 2020-21, Anna served as Chair of the Equity and Diversity Working Party for the School of Humanities and Communication Arts.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Pertierra.
- PhD University of London
- Latin American Studies Association (2011 - 2019)
- Australian Anthropological Society (2014 - 2019)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Institute for Culture and Society
- Humanities (Arts)
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 102410 Digital Cultures, 2019
- 102410 Digital Cultures, 2020
- 102736 Diversity, Language and Culture, 2020
- Pertierra, A. and Salazar, J. (2020), 'Media Cultures in Latin America: Key Concepts and New Debates', : Routledge 9781138353954.
- Pertierra, A. (2018), 'Media Anthropology for the Digital Age', : Polity Press 9781509508433.
- Pertierra, A. and Turner, G. (2013), 'Locating Television: Zones of Consumption', : Routledge 9780415509787.
- Pertierra, A. (2011), 'Cuba: The Struggle for Consumption', : Caribbean Studies Press 9781584327530.
Chapters in Books
- Rowse, T., Kelly, M., Pertierra, A. and Waterton, E. (2021), 'The ethical and civic dimensions of taste', Fields, Capitals, Habitus: Australian Culture, Inequalities and Social Divisions, Routledge 9781138392298.
- Pertierra, A. and Turner, G. (2021), 'Cultural participation and belonging', Fields, Capitals, Habitus: Australian Culture, Inequalities and Social Divisions, Routledge 9781138392298.
- Bennett, T., Gayo, M. and Pertierra, A. (2021), 'The Australian space of lifestyles', Fields, Capitals, Habitus: Australian Culture, Inequalities and Social Divisions, Routledge 9781138392298.
- Pertierra, A., Salazar, J. and Martin Valdez, S. (2020), 'Media cultures in Latin America : an introduction', Media Cultures in Latin America: Key Concepts and New Debates, Routledge 9781138353954.
- Radakovich, R. and Pertierra, A. (2020), 'Music and popular culture : subjects, spaces, and temporalities in twenty-first-century South America', Media Cultures in Latin America: Key Concepts and New Debates, Routledge 9781138353954.
- Liu, T. and Pertierra, A. (2019), 'Rethinking located technologies : location and practice in "new" and "old" media', Location Technologies in International Context, Routledge 9781138682948.
- Webb, S. and Pertierra, A. (2019), 'Some dilemmas of political consumerism : class and ecotourism practices in the Philippines', The Oxford Handbook of Political Consumerism, Oxford University Press 9780190629038.
- Pertierra, A. (2017), 'Celebrity politics and televisual melodrama in the age of Duterte', A Duterte Reader: Critical Essays on Rodrigo Duterte's Early Presidency, Bughaw, Ateneo de Manila University Press 9789715507936.
- Pertierra, A. (2016), 'Global dimensions of domestic practices : kitchen technologies in Cuba', Cooking Technology: Transformations in Culinary Practice in Mexico and Latin America, Bloomsbury Academic 9781474234689.
- Sinclair, J. and Pertierra, A. (2012), 'Understanding consumer culture in Latin America : an introduction ', Consumer Culture in Latin America, Palgrave Macmillan 9780230340732.
- Pertierra, A. (2012), 'Quincea?era : coming of age through digital photography in Cuba ', Consumer Culture in Latin America, Palgrave Macmillan 9780230340732.
- Pertierra, A. (2012), 'The more things change, the more they stay the same : rice and beans in modern Cuba ', Rice and Beans: A Uunique Dish in a Hundred Places, Berg 9781847889041.
- Pertierra, A. (2010), 'Anthropology that warms your heart : on being a bride in the field', Fieldwork Identities in the Caribbean, Caribbean Studies Press 9781584326007.
- Pertierra, A. (2009), 'Creating order through struggle in revolutionary Cuba', Anthropology and the Individual: A Material Culture Perspective, Berg 9781847884954.
- Pertierra, A. (2021), 'Entertainment publics in the Philippines', Media International Australia, vol 179, no 1 , pp 66 - 79.
- Pertierra, A. (2021), 'Dancing the butterfly : trans-Caribbean cultural consumption in special period Cuba', Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies, vol 30, no 2 , pp 259 - 275.
- Pertierra, A. (2020), 'The television families of Mexico and the Philippines : dynasties and caciques in transpacific media cultures', Media, Culture and Society, vol 42, no 1 , pp 136 - 141.
- Rowse, T. and Pertierra, A. (2019), 'From White Nation to White caution : non-Indigenous reflections on Indigenous difference', Journal of Australian Studies, vol 43, no 3 , pp 283 - 298.
- Pertierra, A. (2018), 'Televisual experiences of poverty and abundance : entertainment television in the Philippines', Australian Journal of Anthropology, vol 29, no 1 , pp 3 - 18.
- Pertierra, A. (2016), 'Re-locating the spaces of television studies', Media and Communication, vol 4, no 3 , pp 123 - 130.
- Pertierra, A. (2015), 'Cuban girls and visual media : bodies and practices of (still-) socialist consumerism', Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, vol 29, no 2 , pp 194 - 204.
- Goggin, G., Pertierra, A. and Andrejevic, M. (2015), 'What's become of Australian cultural studies : the legacies of Graeme Turner', Cultural Studies, vol 29, no 4 , pp 491 - 502.
- Pertierra, A. (2015), 'Practicing tranquilidad : domestic technologies and comfortable homes in southeastern Mexico', Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology, vol 20, no 3 , pp 415 - 432.
- Pertierra, A. (2012), 'If they show Prison Break in the United States on a Wednesday, by Thursday it is here : mobile media networks in twenty-first-century Cuba', Television & New Media, vol 13, no 5 , pp 399 - 414.
- Pertierra, A. (2009), 'Private pleasures : watching videos in post-Soviet Cuba', International Journal of Cultural Studies, vol 12, no 2 , pp 113 - 130.
- Del Real, P. and Pertierra, A. (2008), 'Inventar : recent struggles and inventions in housing in two Cuban cities', Buildings and Landscapes: Journal of the Vernacular Architecture Forum, vol 15 , pp 78 - 92.
- Pertierra, A. (2008), 'En casa : women and households in post-soviet Cuba', Journal of Latin American Studies, vol 40, no 4 , pp 743 - 767.
|Title:||No longer poor, not middle class: new consumer cultures in the Global South|
|Western Researchers:||Anna Cristina Pertierra|
|Years:||2019-10-01 - 2024-03-31|
|Thesis Title:||Cultural-linguistic Practices in Palembangnese Humour and Directives in Indonesia: A Discourse Analysis|
|Field of Research:||Society And Culture; Southeast Asian Languages; Linguistics|
|Thesis Title:||Identities of Vietnamese Youth under the Impact of Media Fandom|
|Field of Research:|