Math IT is a one-day annual academic enrichment event for year 7 and 8 students at Penrith campus. It aims to build interest and capacity in science, technology, mathematics and engineering by:
- increasing awareness of the importance of mathematics in day-to-day life and as an essential foundation for a wide range of study and career options
- providing engaging academic enrichment opportunities for students talented/interested in maths and IT (known as ICT in the school sector) but not necessarily aware of the many real-world applications of these disciplines, and
- encouraging the study of maths and IT in senior high school and at university.
About 110 students take part each year.
The event begins with short address "Why Math IT?" and a keynote delivered by an academic or other expert in a subject linked to maths and IT. Students are then split into five groups and rotate through five different educational and fun activities linked to maths and/or IT. Each group has a university student as a guide.
Examples of activities include:
- Rubik's Cube
- Maths 4 Graphics
- The Mathematics and Technology Campus Race
- Digitising the World
- Pull On Your Maker Geek
- Putting The World In Order.