Our students enjoy the best facilities and technology on offer. Our facilities are purpose-built for the needs of music, communications, interpreting, language, media and design students.
AGDA award winning fourth year professional student design studio 'Rabbit Hole'. This studio services a range of internal and external clients, local bodies and community organisations, Western Sydney Public Transport Users, RMIT University, The Dept of Music, Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre and Western Sydney University Equity & Diversity.
The 'Rabbit Hole' studio is unique as it gives students the opportunity to work on 'real life' industry projects. Students are required to develop, through directed and focused research, a response to a given creative brief from the client as a 'junior designer.' A number of briefs are offered each semester and each student is allocated a role, based on their existing expertise and areas of interest in working with specific media and communication fields.
Katrina Sandbach, 2011 recipient of the prestigious Western Sydney University Vice-Chancellor's Excellence in Teaching Award for spearheading a situated and engaged learning experience 'down the Rabbit Hole', is the program coordinator for the award-winning design space. For more information including upcoming and recent events, please visit the 'Rabbit Hole' site.
- High Definition Television Studio: Grass Valley LDX Series Cameras with Teleprompters, Vinten Osprey Pedestals, Yamaha DM1000 Audio Desk, LSC-VX20 Lighting Control, Ross Carbonite Xtreme Switcher, Xpression Prime Graphics, KiPro SSD Players/Recorders, 10GE Media LAN to Edit Suites/VT Rooms, Green Screen Cyclorama.
- Post production facilities: Edit suites with 10GE connections to Media Storage
- Portable field work: Fully equipped store for borrowing video and audio location equipment.
Please email Tvstudio@westernsydney.edu.au with any enquiries.
- Photographic facilities are located at Parramatta South Campus and include four flexible studio spaces that can be used in various formats. These studio spaces include a 12m floor and ceiling cyclorama, pantograph lighting rails and the ability to adapt from portrait to still life layout quickly.
- Studio digital capture is by way of tethering using Apple MacBook pro laptops and Capture One Pro software.
- Nikon’s advanced DSLR camera system is used and supported by a vast range of high-quality studio and location optics.
- Studio lighting includes an extensive array of light shapers and latest technologies from Elinchrom both within the studio and portable location lighting.
- The photographic lighting studio is complemented by adjacent styling and dressing rooms and digital imaging spaces for post-production work.
- Apple computer labs include the latest design and imaging applications for student use.
- Other complementary features of the photographic design space are large format printers, reflective and film scanning, print finishing equipment, extensive range of loan equipment and electronic booking system.
The Music facilities at our Kingswood campus include two professional multitrack recording studios with the latest digital audio technologies, including ProTools, Ableton Live, Logic Pro, Waves plug-ins, and high quality microphones and outboard audio processing. The studios are connected to a variety of purpose-built, acoustically-designed spaces, allowing for large scale isolated recording.
Three audio post-production studios are equipped with 5.1 surround monitoring, allowing for the mixing of audiovisual material in Dolby Digital and surround formats for cinema and DVD applications. Supplementing the studios are two multi-station Apple computer labs with the latest audio, sequencing, synthesiser and music scoring applications.
The Golden Stave Music Therapy Centre, located on the University campus at Kingswood.
- Apple computer labs, configured for full range of digital design and production including Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro and After Effects.
- PC computers for cross-platform production.
- PC computer labs, configured with Sanako linguistic software.
- Professional-grade Sanako headsets.
- Fully-equipped conference interpreting room.