- Engineering Courses
- School of Engineering News
- Engineering Careers
- - Advanced Materials and Smart Structures (AMSS)
- - Centre for Infrastructure Engineering
- - Areas of Expertise and Consultancy
- - Geotechnical, Water and Environmental Engineering Research
- - Intelligent & Sustainable Electrical Systems
- - Robotics, Vision and Signal Processing (RVSP)
- - Solar Energy Technologies
- - Higher Degree Research
- Our People
- Solar Car
- Dean's Merit List Recipients
- Contact the School of Engineering
Western Sydney University is ranked 11th of 40 universities nationwide for Australian Research Council grants.
Western Sydney University has been judged top 20 (18th) of Australian universities in the 2012 national review of research quality (ERA).
The School of Engineering holds regular seminars showcasing its own research, as well as visiting scholars to the School.
The School of Engineering has an active research culture which encompasses several research concentrations:
Advanced Materials and Smart Structures (AMSS)
Current Research Areas
- Engineering Materials and Processing Technologies
- Smart Structures and Safety Engineering
Centre for Infrastructure Engineering
Current Research Themes
Geotechnical, Water and Environmental Engineering Research
Current Research Areas
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Water Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Intelligent and Sustainable Electrical Systems
Current Research Interests
- Application of Nd-Fe-B magnets in motors, actuators and magnetic couplings.
- Design and development of high speed, high efficiency, DC brushless motor with slotless windings and controller.
- Power Electronics and drive systems
- Variable reluctance motors including switched reluctance and stepper motors
- Induction and reluctance generators
- Renewable sources of energy and conversion to electrical energy
- Converter topologies for drive systems
- Power system protection
- Micro Electromechanical Devices
- Fuzzy Logic Control Systems
- Interior or Buried Permanent Magnet Drive Systems
- Condition monitoring of power system equipment
- Application of Finite Element Methods in Electromagnetic Design
- Neuro-Fuzzy Applications
- EM I/EMC and Power Quality issues
- Sensorless Control of Brushless Drive Systems
Robotics, Vision and Signal Processing (RSVP)
- The Robotics, Vision and Signal Processing (RVSP) team aims to develop innovative concepts, methodologies and techniques in the field of robotics, computer vision and signal processing and apply these developments to solving practical problems.
Solar Energy Technologies
Projects and Research Interests
We have the potential to deliver the following technologies in high need for the community:
- solar materials which are photosensitive oxide semiconductors for solar energy conversion which are competitive with silicon;
- devices for solar–hydrogen – environmentally friendly energy;
- water purification without oxidants which produces high quality water using solar energy. The group's work offers solar energy to convert sewage into drinking water.