Placements & WIL

Placements & Work Integrated Learning (WIL)

This information relates to all placements and WIL experiences required in a program of study or subject.

How does Western define "WIL"?

Clink on this link to see how Western references WIL, or work integrated learning.

How does Western define a "placement"?

Western’s Placement Policy defines a placement in the following way:

“Placement means a subject, subject component or other work integrated learning activity, required as part of a program of study or subject (including elective subject), that gives students unpaid practical experience (as per the Fair Work Act 2009) in the application of theoretical concepts and knowledge in a workplace environment, and may include clinical practice, clinical placement, practicum, internship, professional placement, professional experience, industrial experience, work experience or professional practice.”

Many of these examples fit into the definition of Placements from the Universities Australia report Work-integrated learning in universities (2019), which are also included in the NPILF Guidance Document:

Placements – where a student is placed within a workplace for any period of time.

Examples: Accreditation placement, Cadetships, Clinical placement, Clinical practicum, Clinical education, Clinical experience, Co-curricular work placements, Community organisation placements, Corporate internship, Extra-mural placement, Industry placement, Internships, Intra-mural placement, Practical placements, Practical work placement, Practicum, Practicum placement, Professional experience placement, Professional internship, Professional placement, Professional work placement, Research practicum, Service learning, Teaching professional practice, Voluntary placement, Work placement.

Western’s Placement Policy cover the requirements for placements by these examples.

The Universities Australia and NPILF document also note other types of work integrated learning activities, which you may describe your learning activities for students as:

Projects – an activity designed with and for business with authentic engagementFieldwork – learning activities that occur off-campus and in person

Simulation/virtual – where a student experiences all of the attributes of a placement or workplace task in a provider setting

Examples: Capstone project, Client driven project, Collaborative research project, Community development project, Community projects, Design project, Group project, Group research project, Individual project, Industry based projects, Industry projects, Industry-linked projects, Innovation project, Multidisciplinary project, Projects in the workplace, Research projects, Provider-based projects, Work-based projectsExamples: Field experience, Field observation, Field placement, Field study, Field tripsExamples: Moot courts, Simulated work environment, Simulated work experiences, Simulated workplace experiences, Simulated workplace learning, Simulated workplace practice, Virtual businesses, Virtual learning, Virtual work environment, Work simulationsAny other activity that does not fall within the above categories but meet the four WIL criteria
Projects are co-created by Schools and industry partners.  If their hours are required for a program of study or subject, they are recorded in Western’s placement management system.They may be recorded as in-class hours, field work undertaken in class time, or as separate clinical/ practical hours.These may be co-created by Schools and industry partners.  If the hours are part of a distinct placement or WIL experience (credit bearing and assessed), they can be recorded in Western’s placement management system. They also may be recorded as in-class hours, field work undertaken in class time, or as separate clinical/practical hours.These are often co-created by Schools and industry partners.

Where do I start?

You can start here!

Quick guide for placements and WIL

This quick guide can help to to ask the right questions when planning placements and WIL experiences.

Other useful information and resources

What if the activity is not credit bearing or being assessed?

For extra-curricular activities (nor required in a program of study or subject), please seek information from Careers.