Stillman & Mackisack Asylum Seeker Scholarship
$ 30,000 per year for up to three years
Any undergraduate degree
Applicants must submit documentation declaring the following:
- the student was born overseas
- the student has resided in Australia for at least one year
- the student holds a temporary protection visa or a Bridging Visa E with study rights
- the student does not already hold a qualification from an Australian university
- the student is not enrolled at another Australian university
- Applicants must make a written submission in support of their application, outlining why they chose their degree.
- Applications will be reviewed by, and interviews held with the Asylum Seeker Scholarship Interview Panel.
Stillman & Mackisack
I decided to give money to the University of Western Sydney to endow an undergraduate scholarship for an asylum seeker student because it seemed to me most unfair that these students are ineligible for Commonwealth support that is available to permanent residents.
These are people with enormous resilience and drive to survive and succeed, and I believe Australia can only benefit from their educated contributions to our community.
I am privileged to be in a position to help, and wish also for my gift to remember my late husband, Dr R.H. ‘Ron’ Stillman, whose parents were themselves refugees in England before the First World War. His enormous enthusiasm for learning, advancing his profession of electrical power engineering, and supporting those coming after him were an inspiration to many: I am sure that he would have been happy for this scholarship to be part of his legacy to the future.
Application and Selection Process
Applicants must provide a statement in support of their application indicating how they believe the receipt of the scholarship will assist them with their studies and in their future career. This statement should give a sufficient explanation of the applicant's background and current circumstances to enable the University to judge their eligibility, need and merit.
Successful applicants will be selected based on their written application, academic potential, their ability to meet the criteria and, where appropriate, performance in an interview before a selection panel.
Applications for this scholarship are closed.