Schembri Law Scholarship
Scholarship Type: Equity
Scholarship Group: B
- $7,500 per year for duration of degree*
*full-time, or part-time equivalent
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holder, or eligible New Zealand Citizen**
** Eligible New Zealand Citizen includes students who meet the criteria for HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP. Further details available here: Changes to fees for New Zealand Citizens | Western Sydney University
- new or continuing student
- Bachelor of Laws (Graduate Entry)
- Bachelor of Laws (Non-Graduate Entry)
- All combined Bachelor of Laws programs
- demonstrate financial or other hardship, based on Opportunity and Equity criteria
- demonstrate a commitment to pursuing a career in law
Establishing the Schembri Family Scholarship is particularly meaningful for John and Karen Schembri. "I grew up in Western Sydney in an environment which, although low income, regarded education as paramount," says John.
Partner, Head of Banking & Infrastructure at Gilbert + Tobin Lawyers, John is a passionate advocate for education in Western Sydney. As a member of Western Sydney University's Foundation Council, he and wife Karen are yet another example of Council members leading by example in their generous giving.
John continues, "I studied law and my career as a lawyer has been very rewarding, both for myself and for my family. We now want to provide that same opportunity to a student with the same drive and hunger."
Western Sydney University is grateful to John and Karen who are establishing their scholarship to go to a Western Sydney University Law student from a disadvantaged background. With in excess of 30% of Western students coming from a low socio-economic background, this support and that of all donor-funded scholarships is much needed.
Application and Selection Process
Applications are to be submitted through the Universities Admissions Centre. Shortlisted applicants, as determined by the UAC Equity Ranking, may be required to make a written submission in support of their application.
Further information and how to apply can be found on our Equity Scholarship page.
Continuing Eligibility Criteria
- Recipients must remain enrolled at Western.
- Recipients must maintain a minimum GPA of 4.