Do you experience symptoms of depression or anxiety?
In any one year, approximately 1 million Australian adults are affected by depression, and over 2 million are affected by anxiety. Current approaches to treatment are mostly pharmacological and psychological interventions.
NICM researchers are currently seeking participants to be involved in a clinical trial examining the effectiveness of different approaches to yoga for reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Who can join?
- Men and women aged 18-65 years living in Australia, who:
- can understand, read and write basic English.
- have experienced at least mild depression or anxiety in the past four weeks.
- have adequate general health to undertake yoga.
- are not currently doing yoga more than once a week.
- After an initial assessment and consent, participants will be randomly allocated to either group yoga classes, or an individual yoga session.
- Participants in group yoga classes will be required to attend one class per week for 6-weeks (a total of six classes). Each class will run for approximately 90 minutes.
- Participants allocated to individual yoga sessions will be required to attend four (4) one-on-one sessions with a qualified yoga teacher, and will be taught a suitable yoga practice to complete at home each day, over a period of 6-weeks.
- All participants will be asked to complete a series of questionnaires at the beginning and end of the 6-week study period.
- All classes and appointment sessions will be held at NICM Health Research Institute, Western Sydney University, Westmead Campus.
What are the benefits of participating?
- If you currently experience symptoms of depression or anxiety, you may experience a reduction in severity of these symptoms.
- Help contribute to further research on the use of yoga in the management of symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Interested in participating in this study?
For more details about this study please read the following information before deciding whether to participate or not.
If you would like to register your interest and assess your eligibility to participate in this study, please complete the following survey. A member from our research team will be in touch with you within 2-3 business days.
If you have further questions, please contact:
Dr Michael de Manincor
NICM Chief Investigator
p. 0456 916 139
Human Research Ethics Committee Approval: This trial has been approved by Western Sydney University Human Research Ethics Committee (Approval Number: H12929).
This study is supported by an Early Career Fellowship Grant from Western Sydney University.
Chief Investigator: Dr Michael de Manincor, NICM Health Research Institute.