CONNECT | TWITTER (opens in a new window)
PhD, BSc (Hons) Psyc
Senior Research Fellow, Healthy Minds
Dr Joseph Firth joined NICM in 2017 as a Senior Research Fellow focused in mental health and clinical research. He is a recipient of the NICM Blackmores Institute Fellowship.
His research investigates novel interventions for improving physical and mental health outcomes in young people with psychiatric conditions, particularly psychotic disorders. Dr Firth’s research interests also include nutritional interventions for mental health, and investigating how digital technologies (including mHealth) can be harnessed to facilitate and improve psychiatric care.
He has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers in leading medical journals, including first-author research articles in JAMA Psychiatry, Schizophrenia Bulletin, NeuroImage and World Psychiatry
In 2017, he completed his MRC-funded PhD in Medicine at The University of Manchester in the United Kingdom. His PhD research investigated the benefits of physical exercise for young people in the early stages of psychotic disorders. During his PhD, he conducted a range of feasibility studies, qualitative investigations and meta-analyses around exercise for psychosis.
Dr Firth is contacted regularly for expert media commentary on emerging mental health research. His work has been the focus of news stories from key media outlets such as Forbes, New York Times, Independent UK, The Australian, Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, ABC Radio National, ABC online, in addition to televised interviews on BBC News and Sky News.
- Mental health
- Technology and mobile health interventions
Awards and recognition
- 2018 Vice Chancellor’s Excellence Award, Excellence as a Early Career Researcher, Highly Commended, Western Sydney University
- 2018 Elsevier Atlas Award, October Recipient
- 2018 Awarded Schizophrenia International Research Society Researcher Travel Award:SIRS Italy
- 2017 Awarded NICM Blackmores Institute Fellowship
- 2017 Awarded Manchester Doctoral Academy Outstanding Research Output Award, The University of Manchester
- 2013 President’s Doctoral Scholarship Award, The University of Manchester
- 2012 Special Commendation, University of Sheffield
- 2012 Undergraduate Award, British Psychological Society
- The University of Manchester
- 2017 PhD Medicine, The University of Manchester
- 2012 BSc (1st Hons) Psychology, The University of Sheffield
For a full listing of publications please see: