MRes, BMed (Hons)
Associate Research Fellow, Bush Medicine, NICM Health Research Institute
Mrs Beatrice Venkataya joined NICM Health Research Institute in January 2020 as Associate Research Fellow for Bush Medicines. She is responsible for coordinating the Institute's bush medicine research stream.
Mrs Venkataya is passionate about indigenous and traditional medicines and knowledge systems. Her research investigates medicinal Australian plants through participatory action research led by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their communities. Mrs Venkataya has a research background in microbiology and analytical chemistry, with experience in mixed-methods research.
She completed her Masters of Research at NICM Health Research Institute in 2016, working in partnership with an Aboriginal organisation investigating and testing bush medicine products.
Prior to joining the Institute as an Associate Research Fellow, for the past six years she has worked at Western Sydney University and NICM Health Research Institute across research, teaching, and marketing and communications.
- Australian Bush Medicine
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing
- Participatory Action Research
- Health translation
- Preclinical research
Awards and recognitions
- 2019 The People’s Choice Award, Western Sydney University Indigenous Research Forum
- 2016 Master of Research, Western Sydney University, Australia
- 2010 Bachelor of Medical Science (Hons), Western Sydney University, Australia
For a full listing of publications please see: