Community Engagement Forum for Older Adults
Western Syndey University Milperra
Building1, Level 1, Room 106, Bankstown Campus
Friday, 15th September from 10:30am to 2:30pm
About the event:
In the last two years MARCS has organised
two research forums that involved WSU researchers and industry representatives in the area of ageing. As a follow-up to
these forums, MARCS is now holding a community engagement forum for older
The idea for the forum came from older
adults who have participated in various MARCS research projects over the last 5
years; these participants often expressed an interest in hearing more about the
research and findings on relevant research topics.
The forum has several
aims: (1) to bring together our older adult participants to meet with each
other and the researchers; (2) to present MARCS research findings on ageing and
discuss other relevant themes; and (3) to share knowledge on three general topics
of interest: hearing, memory and mobility (this includes information about WSU
research more generally).
An important outcome of
this forum will be the establishment of a platform for engaging with the broader
community. This will provide a conduit to present and discuss university
research interests, and an opportunity to let others know about the outcomes generated.
Such a platform will facilitate future research engagement and will act as a
spring-board for other initiatives.
- 10:30 - 11:00 Registration & Poster* presentations of MARCS research
- 11:00 - 11:30 Welcoming & Opening lecture by Prof Chris Davis, MARCS Institute
- 11:30 - 12:00 Showcase of MARCS research on Ageing by Ms Sonya Simonetti, Sonya Prasad, & Ms Julie Beadle.
- 12:00 - 12:30 Lunch
- 12:30 - 12:50 Talk on Memory by A/Prof Karen Liu, Occupational Therapy
- 12:50 - 13:10 Talk on Mobility by Dr Matthew Liston, School of Science and Health
- 13.10 - 13:30 Talk on Hearing by Dr Yatin Mahajan, MARCS Institute
- 13:30 - 14:00 Engagement/Evaluation & Open Discussion with the audience
- 14:00 - 14:30 Wrap up Tea & coffee
*Posters will be presented/stayed throughout
Organising Personnel: Prof Jeesun Kim, Prof Chris Davis, Dr Yatin Mahajan, and
PhD students Simone Simonetti, Sonya Prasad, and Julianne Beadle.
RSVP Essential by Monday, 11th September. Please contact: Simone Simonetti on email@example.com, PH: 9772 6142 or Yatin Mahajan
on firstname.lastname@example.org, PH: 9772 6678.