Bioelectronics and Neuroscience (BENS)
Jonathan Tapson is a Professor in Electrical Engineering and a researcher in our Bioelectronics and Neuroscience (BENS) research program.
He received a B.Sc in Physics in 1986, a B.Sc in Electrical Engineering in 1988, and his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering in 1994, all from the University of Cape Town, South Africa.
Since 1997 he has been a professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of Cape Town, before joining Western Sydney University in 2011. Jonathan was appointed as Director of MARCS Institute in 2015.
Jonathan has published more than 100 papers on his research and holds 10 patents. He is a co-founder of two start-up companies and one not for profit organisation.
- Understanding the signal processing properties of spiking neurons
- Building biologically realistic learning in neural systems
- Using bio-inspired design for novel biomedical and industrial electronic sensors
Qualifications and Honours
- Elected a Fellow of the South African Academy of Engineering, May 2009
- Awarded a Girling Watson Fellowship by the School of Electrical and Information Engineering, University of Sydney, Australia for the year 2007
- The social entrepreneurship company Cell-life, of which he was a founder and director, was a winner in the category "Most Noteworthy Achiever – Emerging Enterprises" in the South African Technology Top 100 competition in 2005 and again in 2006
- The Hot Platinum ICON3CS induction furnace, of which he was a co-designer, was awarded the most prestigious prize for industrial design in South Africa – the President's Award of the Design Institute of South Africa – in 2006
- The startup company Hot Platinum (Pty) Ltd, of which he was a founder and director, was a winner in the category "Most Promising Emerging Enterprise" in the South African Technology Top 100 competition in 2005
For a full listing of my publications please visit my personal publications page. (opens in a new window)
+61 2 9772 6727
||Western Sydney University Bankstown campus (Bullecourt Ave, Milperra)