Research Program: Speech and Language
Paola is an Associate Professor at The MARCS Institute and teaches within the Linguistics Major of the School of Humanities and Communication Arts.
She started at UWS in January 2011, after a research position at the University of Amsterdam from 2005 to 2010 and a Visiting Assistant Professorship at the University of California in Los Angeles. She has been visiting researcher at the UCLA Baby Lab since 2009 and was Visiting Professor at the Amsterdam Brain and Cognition Centre at the University of Amsterdam from 2011 to 2014.
Currently, she is the MARCS Internship Coordinator and chairs the Teaching and Learning Committee at MARCS. She holds an ARC Discovery grant (awarded in 2012) examining speaker and accent normalization in human infants and adults and in zebra finches. She is also one of the three Chief Investigators based at Western Sydney University within the ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language.
In 2014, she received the Vice Chancellor's Excellence in Research (Researcher of the Year) award at Western Sydney University.
- Listeners' processing of speaker and accent variation
- Monolingual, bilingual and multilingual infant speech perception and word learning
- Cross-linguistic speech perception, production and word recognition
- The role of emotion/affect and joint attention in language acquisition
- Phonological vowel length and pre-attentive detection of vowel duration differences
- Visual preferences in infancy through adulthood
- ARC Discovery Project (2013-2016): "Understanding different speakers versus different accents: apples and apples or apples and pears". Chief Investigator (CI) A Prof Paola Escudero, International Investigators (PIs): Prof Carel ten Cate and Prof Niels Schiller (U. Leiden), Prof Richard Aslin (U. Rochester), Prof Paul Boersma (U. Amsterdam.
- ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language (2014-2021). CIs at Western Sydney University: Prof Anne Cutler, A Prof Paola Escudero and A Prof Caroline Jones. Associate Investigator at UWS: Prof Denis Burnham (with 13 other CIs at ANU, U. Melbourne and U. Queensland).
- ARC Linkage Grant (2015-2018): Learning to Talk, Talking to Learn: effects of an early childhood language program in remote Northern Territory indigenous communities. CIs at UWS: A Prof C. Jones, A Prof P. Escudero, Dr K. Mattock. CIs at Macquarie University: Dr M. Sharma, Dr M.Taumoepeau, Prof K. Demuth, A Prof C. McMahon.
Qualifications and Honours
- December 2014: Excellence in Research (Researcher of the Year), Western Sydney University
- July 2010: Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW): Heineken Young Scientists Award for Cognitive Science (€ 10,000 + art work designed for the prize)
- July 2009: Amsterdam Centre for Language and Communication: Excellence award. Awarded for outstanding scientific output
- July 2007: Amsterdam Centre for Language and Communication: Excellence award. Awarded for outstanding scientific output
- November 2005: PhD in Linguistics, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
- January 2002: Acoustical Society of America: Best student paper. Speech Communication Committee, ASA 144th Conference
- February 2001: Master of Science in Applied Linguistics, University of Edinburgh
For a full listing of my publications please see my personal publications page.(opens in a new window)