- - Technology-Enabled Learning
- - WOS Studio
- - MESH
- - Smart Assessment Design Toolkit
- - Placements Hub
- - Digital Learning
- - Academic Integrity
- - Academic Integrity Research
- Professional Learning @ Western
- Curriculum Renewal
- The 21C Project
- Contact Us
- Engaged Teaching
Student maths mental models
Researchers have reported that:
- Most students never develop mental models for the maths they are taught at uni. They rely on memorized procedures.
- Of those who do develop mental models, most of their models are:
- Not good enough;
- Contain contradictions;
- Wrong; or
- Not useful.
Yet, we know that you can teach people to develop good mental models because it is being done successfully in other fields.