Hello and Happy New Year, we hope you had an enjoyable and safe break over the festive season.
This year is going to be a really exciting one for Launch Pad. We’ll be running multiple programs over the next 12 months and planning for our new home at the Parramatta Engineering Innovation Hub in 2021.
Our focus will be to further build out the support for Western Sydney startup businesses and to support their expansion into global markets. If you are passionate about helping Australian startups grow locally and expand internationally, or know anyone who can help, please get involved.
Application are Now Open for Landcom “Urban Futures” Accelerator delivered in partnership with Western Sydney University’s Launch Pad Technology Business Incubator.
Starting in March 2019, the Accelerator will seed and grow innovation within the property development industry in support of Landcom and the University’s strategic priorities and aspirations for enhanced urban living in Western Sydney, NSW and Australia.
The accelerator will leverage the rapid growth of the Western Sydney region and the property development ecosystem across Landcom, the University and their range of partners to promote innovation in urban living design and development. Start-ups will have the opportunity to pitch their ideas for products and services for current major property development projects that are seeking new and innovative solutions.
Applications Now Open
NSW-India Advanced Manufacturing Trade Mission
In collaboration with the NSW Government, Western Sydney University’s Launch Pad Technology Business Incubator is launching the NSW–India Advanced Manufacturing Trade Mission, taking up to eight advanced manufacturing SMEs and start-ups from NSW to India in April 2020.
About the program
The Advanced Manufacturing Trade Mission is part of a broader $1.58 million NSW-India Technology Exchange Program; an initiative designed for SMEs and start-ups to help grow their business in India. The program helps promote collaboration across borders, enables knowledge sharing and market insights while also providing a framework to link NSW and Indian R&D with business, to drive commercialisation and facilitate new partnerships.
Participants will meet with potential clients, partners and gain valuable experience and immersion into the Indian advanced manufacturing market, equipping them with the knowledge and tools to launch their products in one of the world’s fastest growing economies.
Express Your Interest
Welcoming New Startups
Launch Pad & Startup Spotlight
- Don Wright, Head of Launch Pad joined a panel and spoke about the Future of Work at the last CEDA (Committee for Economic Development of Australia) event
- Low Carbon start-up Income Energy have landed their first major customer – congrats!
- Australia Asia Executive Center (AAEC) hosted Launch Pad in China last December to attend the APEC SME Business Forum
- Bvitra also attended the APEC SME Business Forum in Shenzhen last December and have secured potential global export partners.
- Xootro has been mentioned in the Australian Financial Review
- Rob Khamas, founder of RENDTech will be speaking about healthcare technologies at a joint event with AWS
Western Sydney University News
- New Australian Research Council Grant to help Artificial Intelligence break down barriers for people with disability
- The Lang Walker Family Foundation and Western Sydney University join to strengthen education and medical research for Sydney’s south west
- ARC Linkage funds research on early warning system for bushfires
- Research examines future of manufacturing in Australia and calls for new policy approach
- Cooling the commons researchers have developed simple, practical tips to help low-income communities, and anyone who doesn’t want to rely on air conditioning, prepare for and cope with the heat.
Upcoming News & Events
Healthcare Cloud Technologies & The Impact Of AWS
AWS Office | 6th February, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm | Free
Accelerating Commercialisation Information Session Sydney
AusIndustry Offices |13th February, 10:30 am – 12:00 pm | Free
future-proofing Australian manufacturing SMEs in Liverpool
Liverpool City Council | 18th February, 7:30am-11:00am | Free
Free HR Workshop for Employers
Rydges Parramatta | 20th February, 8:30 am – 10:30 am | Free
Harnessing Solar Energy To Power Our Planet
Parliament of New South Wales | 26th February, 7:30 am – 9:30 am | Free
Introduction to Exporting Workshop
Cumberland Council Merrylands | 12 March 10:00am-12:00pm | Free
Women in Leadership – Western Sydney
Bankstown Sports Club | 23 March 6:00pm-8:00pm | $20
future-proofing Australian manufacturing SMEs in Campbelltown
Wests Leagues Club Gardenia Room | 31at March, 7:30am-11:00am | Free
Partner Shoutout & Helpful Resources
- NAB have launched a pop-up of ‘The Village’, a co-working space for SMEs in their Sydney CBD offices.
- Sydney School of Entrepreneurship (SSE) have some awesome virtual internship opportunities, and they’re free for everyone.
- Our friends over a Haymarket HQ have launched a Sydney Landing Program for international startups to land and expand into Australia.
- The Centre for Civic Innovation is open in Liverpool – a place to connect with people, projects, programs, training, mentors, funding and resources to make a difference in your community.
- Creative West is now live – an interactive map of local creative businesses and organisations, and a curated snapshot of what’s currently happening in our cultural sector, managed by Katrina Sandbach; a designer, researcher, and educator at WSU.
Tech News Around The World
Just incase you missed it, here’s some news from around the globe.
- US signs phase one of a broader trade deal with China; China promised to spend an additional $200B on US products over two years.
- Microsoft announced that they will be going Carbon Negative by 2030.
- Australia’s fires have pumped out more emissions than 100 nations combined.
- London Metro Police has announced that it will start using controversial live facial recognition systems as part of its regular policing.
- Google publishes largest ever high-resolution map of brain connectivity.