Information for new international students

First point of contact when you arrive

Who can I go to help, when I arrive at the University?

You can visit Student Services Hub on your home campus, and they will help you with your enquiries. The Student Services Hub is your first point of contact for information, advice, forms and referrals to other services.

If you have a specific question about enrolment and admission, student visas, overseas student health cover, lodging forms and referral to support services, they will put you in touch with a SEIS International Liaison Officer.

You can also contact Student Central by phone. Just call the Student Central Infoline on 1300 668 370 or if calling from an International location call +61 2 9852 5656 and follow the prompts to be directed to the right person.

You can also email a question.


Do I have to attend International Orientation?

Attendance at International Orientation is compulsory. The day is specifically designed to help international students make a smooth transition to the University.

Representatives from many areas of the University will be available to talk to you about their services.

Program Information and Planning Sessions have also been scheduled for most programs. Here you will meet an Academic Advisor who will discuss program requirements, answer your questions about advanced standing (if applicable), and advise you about subjects you need to enrol in.

If you still need to accept your offer, pay fees or enrol, our admission and enrolment teams will also be there to help you finalise your admission and enrolment to the University.

Full program:

Arriving late

I won't receive my visa in time to attend orientation. What do I do?

If you miss the orientation, a recording of the session will be available at International Orientation website.

Can I arrive late at the University?

It is important you arrive on time to commence your classes in the first week.  If due to unforeseen circumstances you are unable to arrive in time, you must contact International Admissions for advice via your online student application record or call +61 2 9685 9280. Do not make any plans to arrive after classes commence, unless you have received special permission to commence late from the University.


I need to speak to an International Admissions Officer to finalise my admission to the University?

An International Admission Officer will be available at Student Central on Parramatta campus to speak with you directly in the week prior to class commencement and the first week of classes.

If you are unable to visit Student Central Parramatta campus, you can email International Admissions via your online student application record or call +61 2 9685 9280.

I still need to accept my offer. What do I need to do?

You can accept your offer via your online student application record.

You will need to:

  • Complete, sign and return the acceptance, CoE request and payment form via your online student application record
  • Pay your tuition fees for the first session and any other charges described in the Offer of Admission
  • Have a valid Overseas Student Health Cover or applied through the University

For more details go to the how to accept page.

The International Admissions team will also be available to help you on Orientation Day.

How can I pay my fees to accept my offer?

You can pay your fees via:

Further information about paying your fees.

I have paid my fees, but have not received my Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)?

It may take up to 24 hours to receive your payment and issue you with an eCoE. Please contact International Admission via your online student application record.

I have ACCEPTED my program but I now want to study at another institution. What do I do and can I please get a refund?

Once you have accepted your program and your student visa has been granted, you generally cannot change your program for at least six months after commencing your study at the University. For full details please refer to the International Student Transfer Procedure.

If you have not commenced your study and wish to be considered for a release to another institution, you must apply for a release letter and a refund from your program by submitting a request to the International Finance Office via your online student application record. The University will assess your request as per the International Student Fees and Refund Agreement.

Further information and the Refund Request form is available at

Important note: Please ensure you carefully read the International Student Fees and Refund Agreement for terms and conditions.

Can I change my program of study after I've accepted to another program within Western Sydney University?

If you want to change your program of study after acceptance, your application will need to be re-assessed to ensure you meet the admission requirements of the new program you wish to study.

You will need to submit your request to change a program via your online student application record.

Please note, this process may take some time and therefore may delay your commencement at Western Sydney University and may impact your visa obligations.

If you are successful in your application to the new program you will be issued with a new CoE once your accept your revised offer

Can I change my campus after I've accepted?

Some students seek to transfer to other campus locations that suit them better. Please note that it is generally not possible to change your campus of study after accepting your offer.

If you still have questions, please submit your request via your online student application record.

I have completed my pathway program and I now need a new Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) to extend my visa?

You can request a new CoE from the University.  Please submit this request via your online student application record so that International Admission will issue you with a revised offer letter with details of the balance of fees required and payment details.  Once you have accepted the revised offer, International Admissions will issue you with a new CoE so that you can extend your visa.

This also applies to students transitioning to the University from TAFE.

I have completed my pathway program at the College, however I'm unable to enrol?

The University will normally receive your results from the College prior to program commencement.  If you have satisfied all requirements, International Admissions will lift the conditions of your offer and issue with a revised Unconditional Offer letter including details of the balance of fees required and payment.

If you are unable to enrol, please check if you have submitted your acceptance and payment documentation.  If you are still having problems, please contact International Admissions for advice via your online student application record or call +61 2 9685 9280.

Can I defer my program?

You can request a deferral by contacting International Admissions via your online student application record under the following circumstances:
  • If you are studying at another institution in Australia, and you require more time to complete your currently study
  • If you are still in your home country/region

Important note: If you have already arrived in Australia, you cannot defer your program and stay in the country. There are implications to your student visa if you remain in Australia and not studying as a full-time student.

In limited circumstances students may be able to remain onshore on a student visa while taking a break from study, provided they meet medical, compassionate, or compelling grounds (e.g. they are medically unable to travel). In most cases, student visa holders are expected to return home during periods of break from study.

The Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) is ultimately responsible for making a ruling on your visa status, and on whether or not you are allowed to remain in Australia.

I would like to apply for a refund?

If you wish to withdraw your offer and have paid fees, you can submit your request via your online student application record. Please ensure you carefully read the refund agreement to understand the terms and conditions.

Advanced standing

How do I apply for Advanced Standing to receive academic credit for previous studies?

If you have not requested Advanced Standing at the time of application, you will need to submit an Advanced Standing application form with all required documents (previous study syllabus and subject outline).  This form must be submitted to International Admissions via your online student application record

Enrolling and class timetable

I am having trouble enrolling in my program?

You will only be able to enrol into your program after you have accepted your offer, paid fees and submitted all required documents as stated on your Offer of Admission letter.

Instructions on how to enrol are available at

If you're still having trouble, you can contact Student Central for help.

If you there is an issue with your offer, Student Central will refer you to International Admissions to finalise your admission documentation so that you can enrol.  Note: issues with offers are normally due to outstanding documentation required to satisfy admission conditions.

I have enrolled in my program however my advanced standing is not appearing on my record?

Please contact International Admissions for advice via your student application record or call +61 2 9685 9280.

What is online class registration?

Class registration is the next step after you've completed your enrolment and applies to most subjects. Note: a "tutorial" refers to a type of class where you must choose your preferred class time from a number of options offered within a subject.
Find out more on Class Registration page.

I have questions about my class timetable?

Your first point of contact will be Student Central. However, there may be circumstances where you may need to speak directly to the School.  Student Central will be able to advise you on what you need to do depending on your question or circumstance.

Accommodation and airport pickup

I still need to organise accommodation

Check out our on-campus accommodation options offered by Western Sydney University Village.

I would like to arrange an airport pick-up service from Sydney International Airport

The University offers a free airport pick-up service for international students commencing study at Western Sydney University for the first time in an undergraduate, postgraduate, research or exchange and study abroad program.

Please complete the online application form for airport pick-up at

When you arrive, look out for the Sydney Airport International Student Welcome Desk. This desk has been set up to welcome you to NSW. After saying hi, please proceed to the Western Sydney University meeting point. Meeting point details will be outlined in your confirmation letter sent to you from our airport pick-up service.

Note: Students studying a pathway program (English, Diploma or Foundation Studies) at The College, Western Sydney University will be required to make a payment of up to $160 (fee will depend on the campus drop-off location) to use this service.

Student Support

I'm having trouble settling into the University and/or Australia. Who can I speak to for advice?

The Student Welfare Service has professionally trained staff to help you work through the unexpected problems that sometimes catch you by surprise.

Sometimes you might need to seek assistance from other services, such as a counsellor or a government agency. Western Sydney University Welfare Officers can help you with information and advice about the right services to talk to.

You can contact the Student Welfare Service at or call 1300 668 370.

What is the Academic Literacy Workshop? Do I have to attend?

The Academic Literacy Workshop is offered to all international students from all campuses.

The program offers an introduction to the expectations for assignment writing and assessment at Western Sydney University. It has relevant information tailored for university students about study skills, presentations, working in teams and time management.

This is not a compulsory workshop, however it is highly recommended, especially if you are new to the Australian learning environment.

Please register at Academic Literacy Workshop Registration

Who can I speak to for advice about my visa or working in Australia during my program and after my program?

If you have questions about your student visa, you can contact the Student Welfare Service for advice.

Further information: