Whether you're writing an email, web copy, a report or a blog, use these tips to make your writing more effective.
- Use plain English and avoid technical terminology where possible.
- Write targeted information for your audience that focuses on what they want and need to know.
- Include your key points upfront.
- Structure your information logically.
- Never use a long word when a short one will do.
- Be concise.
- Eliminate superfluous words.
- Use a tone that is appropriate for your type of writing and your audience.
- Use the active rather than the passive voice as much as possible.
- Spell out acronyms the first time you use them, e.g. Capital Works and Facilities (CWF).
- Always check your spelling and punctuation.