- Future Now | Securing Digital Success 2018-2020
- IT maintenance planned outages
- IT Service Desk
- Email and Related Services
- Western WiFi Wireless Network
- IT Contracts
- Computer Laboratories
- Australian Access Federation
- IT Finance and Procurement
- Service Improvements
- Staff Software Benefits
- Cyber Security
- COVID-19: ITDS Advice, Guides and Support
- Getting Connected: Off Campus
- Multi-Factor Authentication
- Return to Campus: Ready, Tech, Go
- Adobe Acrobat Sign
- Direct to Desk
- Windows 10 Upgrade 2022
- Grade Centre
Standard Operating Environment
In order to improve your computing experience, ITDS introduced a standard operating environment (SOE) for installation on most University computers. The current SOE is based on Windows 7 (64 bit) and Office 2010.
Benefits of the SOE include:
- Single login/password for many systems
- Documents accessible at any standard networked computer across the University
- Units/schools able to use shared network folders to share documents across campuses
- Improved network security
- Full support from ITDS
- Remote assistance by IT support, if required
- Packaged software able to be delivered automatically across our network
- Ability to print to any network printer at any campus
- Calendar sharing
When a new SOE is introduced, the older SOE is no longer supplied with new computers. Support for older SOEs persists until the last computers supplied with the SOE reach the end of their lease.
- Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 (64 bit)
- Office suite - Microsoft Office 2010
Previous (expires 2015):
- Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista
- Office suite - Microsoft Office 2007
For all SOEs:
- System login credentials - your WesternAccount
- Antivirus and personal firewall software is provided.
- Most other commonly used software is packaged and delivered across the internal network for installation, which allows users to self install packaged software without assistance from support.
- Staff are able to access their files from any University networked standard computers.
- After internal testing, relevant service packs and patches are automatically installed on standard machines.