Kiu-wai Chu is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Australia-China Institute for Arts and Culture (ACIAC), Western Sydney University. Prior to coming to Australia, he was a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Institute of Asian and Oriental Studies, University of Zurich. He received his education in Hong Kong, the United Kingdom and United States. He earned his PhD in Comparative Literature at the University of Hong Kong and his previous degrees from SOAS, University of London, and the University of Cambridge. From 2012 to 2013, he was named a Junior Fulbright Scholar and spent time at the University of Idaho to work with leading scholars in ecocriticism.
Kiu-wai has taught programmes in China and Asian Studies, and Art, Media and Cultural Studies at the University of Hong Kong, City University of Hong Kong, HKU SPACE and the University of Zurich. He was an examiner of Hong Kong Arts Development Council in the Film and Media Arts Division between 2007-2015.
His research focuses on contemporary cinema and art in China, and broader East and Southeast Asia; Ecocriticism and environmental humanities.
- PhD, 2015, Comparative Literature, University of Hong Kong
- MA, 2009, Literary and Cultural Studies, University of Hong Kong
- MPhil, 2007, Screen Media and Cultures, University of Cambridge
- BA(Hons), 2005, Politics and Southeast Asian Studies, SOAS University of London
Awards and Recognition
- 2016-17: Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF) Organization of “International Exploratory Workshop: Coming of Age in Sinophone Studies”, University of Zurich, Switzerland. (Total amount: CHF22,200).
- 2012-2013: Fulbright Scholarship - Doctoral Dissertation Award. Fulbright-RGC Hong Kong Junior Research Scholarship. Hong Kong. (Total amount HKD$124,800).
- 2010-2014: Doctoral Studentship (PGS), University of Hong Kong. Hong Kong. (Total amount HKD$496,080).
Chu, K 2018, 'Worms in the Anthropocene: the multispecies world of Xu Bing’s Silkworm Series', in Chia-ju Chang (ed.), Anthology in Chinese environmental humanities, Palgrave Macmillan.
Chu, K & Yee, WYM 2018, 'Local stories, global catastrophe: reconstructing nation and Asian cinema in Japan’s 3.11 films', in G Marchetti, SK Tan & A M-P Park (eds), The Handbook of Asian Cinema, Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
Chu, K 2018, 'Snowpiercer', in Cli-Fi: a reader, Peter Lang.
Chu, K 2018, 'The imagination of eco-disaster: post-disaster rebuilding in Asian cinema', Asian cinema. Special Issue on Ecocinema.
Chu, K 2017, 'Screening environmental challenges in China: three modes of ecocinema', Journal of Chinese Governance, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 437-459.
Chu, K 2017, 'Ecocinema', Oxford Bibliographies in Cinema and Media Studies (opens in a new window), DOI: 10.1093/OBO/9780199791286-0252.
Chu, K 2016, 'Ecocinema', Journal of Chinese Cinemas, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 11-13.
Edited Journal Issue in Chinese] Chu, K 2016, 《思逸: 文藝文化研究期刊》第3期: 生態批評. 客席主編. / Special Issue: Ecocriticism (opens in a new window), Siyi: A Journal of Arts and Culture, vol. 3.
Chu, K, Leung, HY, Chor, KC, Cheung, KK [Secondary School Textbook in Chinese] 雅集新高中通識教育系列—全球化. 香港雅集出版社有限公司. / The Aristo secondary school certificate series of general studies books: globalization, Aristo Education Press, Hong Kong. 2010 (1st ed.), 2014 (2nd ed.), 2016 (3rd ed.), 2018 (4th ed., forthcoming).
Chu, K 2015, 'Animating Shanshui: Chinese landscapes in animated film, art and performance', in C Pallant (ed.), Animated landscapes: history, form, and function (opens in a new window), Bloomsbury Academic, New York and London, pp.109-124.