Dr Garrido was signed to Warner Chappell Music. He is a bassist, composer and producer who has worked with some of Australia’s top musicians and produces such as The Catholics, The Party Boys, Disco Montego, Peter Dawkins and David Hemming.
Dr Garrido has produced two solo albums, Dejame Tocarte (Sony) and Loco (Festival/Mushroom). Dr Garrido has writing film scores including Random 8, winner of a Bronze Palm in the Feature Narrative section of Mexico International Film Festival. Dr Garrido published a monograph entitled Música De Chiloé: Folklore, Syncretism, and Cultural Development in a Chilean Aquapelago (Lexington Books).
Dr Garrido is currently signed to a publishing contract with BMG. He is a member of Centre for Elite Performance, Expertise and Training (Macquarie University). Dr Garrido has been working on a research project that looks at Syrian musicians in Berlin. This is also part of a new album recorded with Berlin’s top Oriental and German musicians. Dr Garrido’s new project Viaje a Chiloe, was mixed in Berlin. Dr Garrido is writing a book for Routledge on popular music performance with professor David Cashman. Dr Garrido is part of the Moviolas, an audio-visual ensemble led by professor Philip Hayward.
- PhD, 2014, Macquarie University
- BA Hons (First Class), 2008, Macquarie University
- Master of Design Science, 2006, University of Sydney
Awards and Recognition
- Current: Publishing advances of over $150000 by Warner Chappell Music Publishing, Alberts Music Australia and BMG
- 2017: Centre for Elite Performance, Expertise and Training (CEPET) Seed Grant for the project “Music and Migration: Syrian Musicians in Berlin” has been approved by the CEPET Executive Committee, $4,860.00.
- 2016: Centre for Elite Performance, Expertise and Training (CEPET) Seed Grant for the project “Understanding Creativity in Movement-Based Expertise: A Multi-Domain Approach” has been approved by the CEPET Executive Committee, $4,860.00.
- 2015: The Alex Vidal Viva Fiesta Award. In recognition for services to Darling Harbour Fiesta and long standing artistic contribution to the community
- 2014: Research Collaboration Awards-University Of Western Australia, with Sandra Garrido, Professor Tuomas Eerola, Macquarie University, University of Durham, ARC Centre for the History of Emotions: 'Music and Depression: Measuring musical features and their impact on mood in historical music and contemporary'- $12,000.
- 2014: Research consultancy on Horror film soundtrack project (combined critical and creative work), funded by Southern Cross University, $13,500.
- 2012-2014: Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarships (MQRES).
- 2009-2012: Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA).
Garrido, W, Bendrups, D & Hayward, P 2018, ‘Música de Chiloé: folklore, syncretism and cultural development in a Chilean Aquapelago’, Lexington Books, Rowman & Littlefield.
Garrido, S & Garrido, W 2016, ‘The psychological function of music in mourning rituals: a case study from Chile’, S Garrido (ed.), Music and mourning in death studies, Sage Publication, London.
Garrido, W 2015, Album “Dark Shadows” by The Moviolas: Composer, producer and arranger, distributed through Bamboozle and HIGHRESAUDIO. All music published though BMG Publishing.
Garrido, W & Hayward, P 2011, ‘Chiloé: an offshore song culture’, in G Baldacchino (ed.), Island songs: a global repertoire of roots and routes, Scarecrow Press, Lanham, Toronoto & Plymouth, pp. 153-170.
Garrido, W & Bendrups, D 2013, ‘Transcultural Latin: negotiating music industry expectations of Latin American migrant musicians in Australasia’, Musicology Australia: ‘Contemporary Approaches to Transcultural Music Research in Australia and New Zealand’ (special issue).
Garrido, W 2019, ‘America, South (overview)’, in S Janet (ed.), Encyclopedia of Ethnomusicology, Sage, USA.
Garrido, W 2019, ‘Nueva Canción’, in S Janet (ed.), Encyclopedia of Ethnomusicology, Sage, USA.
Garrido, W 2014, ‘Popular music’, in TW Forde & G, J. Geoffrey (eds), Music in the Social and Behavioral Sciences, Sage Publications, USA.
Garrido, W 2014, ‘Urban Music’, TW Forde & G, J. Geoffrey (eds), Music in the Social and Behavioral Sciences, Sage Publications, USA.Creative Projects
Access All Publications