David Thompson provides communications and marketing management to the Hawkesbury Institute with the goal of promoting its capabilities, achievements and facilities.
David commenced working with Western Sydney University in 2011 and originally studied combined Horticultural Science and Commerce at the University before gaining extensive industry and government experience prior to joining the Institute in 2013.
David works alongside the Institute Manager and other staff to create information and resources that support the Institute's ambitious goals in research, collaboration and engagement.
Find out more at LinkedIn. (opens in a new window)
David has particular skills across communication technologies in the science, research, agriculture and health industries. In this role, David’s primary tasks are to:
- Develop communications strategies to promote achievements and outcomes of the science research underway at the Institute
- Implement tactical marketing and communications resources internally and externally to promote the Institute’s efforts in climate change and plant science
- Coordinate events, seminars, outreach and other tactics to showcase the work of the Institute and its unique facilities and capabilities
David has won numerous awards and prizes in communications and marketing strategy across a variety of projects. These include:
- Vice-Chancellor's Professional Development Scholarship - 2015
- Australian Farm Institute 'John Ralph Essay' Award - 2014
- UWS Local Achievement Award - 2014
- Australian Men's Health Forum 'Award For Significant Contribution To Men's Health Project' - 2012
- Vice-Chancellor's Award For Excellence In University Engagement - 2012
- Big Brother Movement Association UK Travel Scholarship - 2001
- Western Sydney University Dean's Medal - 2000
In 2013, David completed the Association for Data-driven Marketing & Advertising Digital Marketing Certificate(opens in a new window), finishing with Distinction.
David has also completed courses in:
- Project Management
- Social Media & Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Mobile and Location-Based Marketing
- Data Analysis For Marketing
- Computer Programming
Thompson, D (2015), Taking Care of Business: Productivity Gains and Premium Markets, in Farm Policy Journal, vol. 12, no. 4, Summer 2015, pp. 39-46, Surry Hills, Australia.
Thompson, D (2014), Branding Agriculture: Why ‘Restaurant Australia Ready’ is the Next Opportunity for Australian Agriculture, in Farm Policy Journal, Vol. 11, No. 4, Summer Quarter 2014, pp. 1-9