Do you want to take your data analysis skills to the next level?
The R statistical computing environment has become a standard for scientific data analysis, visualization and reproducible research.
At the HIE, we offer an introductory course to help you climb the steep learning curve.
This five-day course is aimed at postgraduate students and staff, and is for newcomers to R.
The course covers
- basics of R (data entry, manipulation, tabulation)
- visualisation (basic and advanced graphing, including producing high quality graphs for publication)
- statistical analyses (basic statistics, linear models, multi- variate analyses)
- and project management (organization, principles of reproducible research).
The course will consist of short lectures interspersed with many hands-on exercises.
The exercises will be set up with different levels: more advanced students can work on more difficult problems. After time for exercise, solutions to all levels are presented by the teachers.
We assume that you have completed some introductory statistics course at university level, but no previous programming experience is required.
- WSU HDR students - $100
- WSU staff - $150
- External academic (HDR students) - $500
- External academic (non-HDR) - $750
- Corporate - $1,500
- Dr. Remko Duursma
- Dr. Jeff Powell
The following resources are available for this course:
Table of contents
Below is a summary of the contents of the course. Subject to change without notice.
Basics of R (1) (Optional)
Basics of R (2) & Generating and reading data
Special data types
Basic statistics & External resources
Summarizing and tabulating data
Multivariate statistics & Mixed-effects models
Programming : functions, lists and loops
Choice of topics
Next course will be held in September 2017.