Frequently asked questions
This could be occurring for a number of reasons:
- If you do not know a graduates middle name (or any of their other given names), make sure to tick the partial match box in the Given name field.
- Ensure the name you are searching is the name used by the graduate at the time of graduation. For example for a married female graduate, try searching the maiden name and then the current family name.
- Some nationalities prefer to record their family name first and their given name second. For example, if you are looking for Tong Lee try searching also for Lee Tong.
- Make sure your year range covers the year the student graduated and not just the years they studied. If the student graduated in 2005 search 2004 to 2006 in the year range field.
- A small portion of pre-2003 graduates will not show up in the Award Verification Service.
Is graduation information protected by privacy laws?
Western Sydney University publishes the name, award and conferral date of all graduates in the Graduation Booklet issued at each ceremony. A copy of each booklet remains publicly available in the libraries. Therefore the graduates name, award title and conferral date are public information, while all other information is private and protected by privacy laws.
If you have completed your course requirements but not yet formally graduated from the University, you will not appear in the Award Verification Service. In order to have formally graduated you need to have received your testamur either at your graduation ceremony or by mail. One week after you graduate, your name will appear in the Award Verification Service.
What does 'conferral date' mean?
What happens when I tick the partial match box?
- If you enter Alex in the given name field and tick the partial match box, the results will bring up graduates with the given name Alex, Alexandra, Alexander, Alexis etc. Note the results will not bring up variations of the name such as Alec.
- If you enter Brown in the family name field and tick the partial match box, the results will bring up Brown, Smith-Brown, Browning etc.
You can refine your results through filtering by award name. To do so, select the award from the 'Filter by award name' drop down box at the top of the results and then click the 'Refine search' button. If you are still unable to find the exact graduate you are looking for, submit an online enquiry form to the Assessment and Graduation Unit.
A graduate with one name could be in the system in one of two ways. Try entering their name in the given name field and entering a full stop (.) in the family name field. If no results are found, try entering their name in the family name field with a full stop (.) in the given name field. If you are still unable to find the graduate please submit an online enquiry form to the Assessment and Graduation unit.
Alternatively, when applying for employment, inform your employer of the name that appears on your testamur so they are able to find your graduation details in the system.
If you are unable to verify the details of a graduate please submit an online enquiry form to the Assessment and Graduation unit.